Sponsored

The Great Rust Proofing Poll

Which rust-proofing product/service are you going with?

• Total voters

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Where did you get the product/supplies? Is there a site that you recommend for info/research
HVLP gun was off amazon. You need a setup that takes devilbiss dekups so you can invert the gun under the vehicle and still draw cerakote through the gun. Cerakote is best acquired direct from the company’s site and a quart would be more than enough to spray a JLU.
Sponsored

Carlitosway

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler jk 2017 2 d sport
Guys, rust keeps me awake at night, i know it never sleeps, and i sure did not buy a 45k truck to see it turn to dust... so this is what I did
Step 1 . Got a brand new jk
Step 2. Sprayed cosmoline everywhere i could (12 cans)
Step 3. Installed paint protection film all over the jk
Step 4. Send it to krown for a full treatment twice a year
Step 5. Wash it once a week.
Step 6. Spot spray corrosion free in key areas every month.

This is the only way to keep rust at bay..... good luck.
Ps : going for a million miles!

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Guys, rust keeps me awake at night, i know it never sleeps, and i sure did not buy a 45k truck to see it turn to dust... so this is what I did
Step 1 . Got a brand new jk
Step 2. Sprayed cosmoline everywhere i could (12 cans)
Step 3. Installed paint protection film all over the jk
Step 4. Send it to krown for a full treatment twice a year
Step 5. Wash it once a week.
Step 6. Spot spray corrosion free in key areas every month.

This is the only way to keep rust at bay..... good luck.
Ps : going for a million miles!
Krown twice a year--wow that's dedication!

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
On all my cars, I pick them up from the dealer, wash the underside, let dry.

Then paint everything with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator paint and two Coats Chasis black epoxy. I also shoot all the rocker boxes, frames and any cavities with their internal frame coating which is a liquid zinc. Allow that to dry and then flood all the same frames rockers etc with fluid film, also fluid film the insided doors, hatch , hood, and yank the quarter trim in the car and flood around the inside wheel wells. Lastly spray the eastwoods Heavy duty antirust underneath, waxy coating which seals everything. Their paintable seam seal is also good to seal the locations where metal overlaps which always rust first. I use their diamond clear on the aluminum to seal that.

It is time consuming but worth it, did my SRT last year, 15 Overland and my old cars have no rust, live in Maine where they dump liquid calcium on the roads before every storm,

Sponsored

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
Looking for someplace near Chicago or Milwaukie that does Fluid Film or something similar. Anyone know any shops that do this?
I live north burbs of Chicago. Did u ever find answer to this question?

BrimmStone

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL unlimited
i bought a new jeep jl and i was wondering the best solution for rust control. i hear Krown spray works great just wondering people experience. and no rubber coatings

Sponsored

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
After doing some research I'm probably going to go with Krown. And the service is available locally.
I've been using Krown for years on many vehicles. It's an excellent product and whenever I've sold or traded in a vehicle most are shocked at how good the condition is.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought a couple spray cans of Fluid Film. I plan on hitting the inside of the frame rails and maybe a few other spots that I think would be prone to corrosion. I'll treat it once per year.

The main thing I've done with my JK was keep it clean and hit any rust spots with Rustoleum Rust Reformer. That 11 year old JK has been through road salt baths again and again and other than the gas tank skid plate, it looks great. I'm going to do the inside of its frame, too, with some Fluid Film, just for good measure, although it looks pretty good in there.

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Anyone with any experience using Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator ? They also have a Platinum Version... They claim that it changes the composition of rust and neutralizes it from spreading and hardens it so that it can they be painted over....they also have some rubberized applications like the 3M version.... I'd be very interested in anyone's experience with it. Even if it doesn't "convert" the rust into a hardened, paint-able surface and prevent further rusting, the product seems similar to a Rustoleum-type product......If applied to an area with no rust, it seems like it it would be a durable surface to stand up against most salt and elements and protect any rusting in the future......Maybe a good product to apply immediately upon delivery ? ONLY after a thorough inspection and any needed sanding/wire brushing to remove any surface area problems, etc.

thoughts ?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
New Silverado, look at all that rust. I thought FCA was the only one that made junk?
20190315_164740.jpg

Reactions: VNT

motor12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
retired
I know I'm not the only guy who grew up in the 60s in snow country who couldn't afford a dealer applied under coating. Seen this done many times. First rinse the under carriage with water let dry then spray the whole under carriage with used oil from a local garage. (quick lube joints were not around yet.) Then drive down a dusty road a few times and you were good to go. Re apply as needed.
Sponsored