Sponsored

Tazer vs Flashcal vs other JL programmers

What programmer are you getting and why?

• Total voters

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
What are you getting? What are the pros/cons/differences of each? I believe this is the first time tazer has this for a wrangler and flashcal has done it for years. What else?
Sponsored

Mud2Sno

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
Good post as I was wondering about this also

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Superchips - this is the first year for Tazer to do anything for a Jeep although they aren’t new to the programmer world. I have a sport s model so I don’t need a lot of the features you get and pay more for inbthe Tazer - personal preference and a little competition is always good for consumers.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
AEV ProCal, IF and only if the price is still significantly lower than the other options, as it was for JK. No need to spend $350 bucks on something that simply alters tire size and flips off a few menu options.

Sponsored

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
I'd really like to see options that can adjust horsepower and torque like they can do for the pick-ups and some of the cars that are out there.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
I can list probably a dozen reasons why the Tazer Jl is a better product offering in regard to more features and more bang for the buck.

Yes, the SuperChip offering is less $ but you are getting way less in regard to features. Sure, if all you want to do is program for tire size for example go with the SuperChip offering, as it is less expensive. As for me, I have a whole list of lets call it "wants" that the Tazer JL will give me so I would not even consider the SuperChip offering.

Also, SuperChips borrows a JL from a JL owner and comes up with an offering. SuperChips advertises they were first to market in regard to a programmer for the JL. This is pure crapola! We all know that the Tazer JL has been out for 2 months now. We have JL owner's here, who are very pleased with the Tazer JL. So, with that said, SuperChips is blowing smoke up peoples asses, when they say they were first out.

In regard to the Tazer JL. The guy (Joe) that owns ZAutomotive is a forum member. He actually is one of us.. He himself owns a 2018 Wrangler JLU. He comes to the forum daily to see what we need/want in regard to programming. He quickly replies to emails in regard to his offering, day and night. The guy is so hands on it is unbelievable. Sure, he is the little guy in comparison to SuperChips.... but reality is, his offering, the Tazer JL was in fact first out and damm, it provides more features then the SuperChip offering.

In closing, I feel the SuperChip offering is a good offering. Yes, the price is less for their offering. I wouldn't be grudge you for going with SuperChips.

As for me, I went with the Tazer JL as I know you get what you pay for. I want to disable, ESS, disable Nav restrictions, enable Cargo Camera, turn backup camera and or cargo camera on at any speed when moving forward and leave on, the ability to turn off the halo’s, etc., etc. that the SuperChip offering does not offer me. I made my choice...

Last edited:

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
I can list probably a dozen reasons why the Tazer Jl is a better product offering in regard to more features and more bang for the buck.

Yes, the SuperChip offering is less $ but you are getting way less in regard to features. Sure, if all you want to do is program for tire size for example go with the SuperChip offering, as it is less expensive. As for me, I have a whole list of lets call it "wants" that the Tazer JL will give me so I would not even consider the SuperChip offering.

Also, SuperChips borrows a JL from a JL owner and comes up with an offering. SuperChips advertises they were first to market in regard to a programmer for the JL. This is pure crapola! We all know that the Tazer JL has been out for 2 months now. We have JL owner's here, who are very pleased with the Tazer JL. So, with that said, SuperChips is blowing smoke up peoples asses, when they say they were first out.

In regard to the Tazer JL. The guy (Joe) that owns ZAutomotive is a forum member. He actually is one of us.. He himself owns a 2018 Wrangler JLU. He comes to the forum daily to see what we need/want in regard to programming. He quickly replies to emails in regard to his offering, day and night. The guy is so hands on it is unbelievable. Sure he is the little guy in comparison to SuperChips.... but reality is, his offering , the Tazer JL was in fact first out and damm, it provides more features then the SuperChip offering.

In closing, I feel the SuperChip offering is a good offering. Yes, the price is less for their offering. I wouln't be grudge you for going with SuperChips.

As for me, I went with the Tazer JL as I know you get what you pay for. I want to disable, ESS, disable Nav restrictions, enable Cargo Camera, etc., etc. that the SuperChip offering does not offer me. I made my choice...

Please explain "Nav Restrictions" and "Cargo Camera". Maybe I'm a bit "slow" but I'm not familiar with those topics.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

In regard to the Tazer JL. The guy (Joe) that owns ZAutomotive is a forum member. He actually is one of us.. He himself owns a 2018 Wrangler JLU. He comes to the forum daily to see what we need/want in regard to programming. He quickly replies to emails in regard to his offering, day and night. The guy is so hands on it is unbelievable. Sure he is the little guy in comparison to SuperChips.... but reality is, his offering , the Tazer JL was in fact first out and damm, it provides more features then the SuperChip offering.

In closing, I feel the SuperChip offering is a good offering. Yes, the price is less for their offering. I wouln't be grudge you for going with SuperChips.

As for me, I went with the Tazer JL as I know you get what you pay for. I want to disable, ESS, disable Nav restrictions, enable Cargo Camera, etc., etc. that the SuperChip offering does not offer me. I made my choice...

We all know how much you love your Tazer.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Yup, you better believe it! And I haven't even installed it yet. How could I not love it, when it gives me so much more in regard to a programmer offering, when compared to it's competition. It's a no brainer. Terrific offering, more features, more bang for the buck.
Agree to a certain extent but when you have a sport model with tow package, without the 8.4 nav unit , without safety convience group, and without LED, more isn’t always better.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I'm going with the FlashCal. Nothing against the Tazer at all. It looks like a good product and generally everyone seems happy with it, but all I really need is speedometer calibration, TPMS threshold adjustment (or disable), and the ability to check codes and clear them. I get that for $100 less with the FlashCal.

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Nav restrictions doesn't allow you to work the navigation unless the veh is in (I believe) park. You can shut it off so the passenger (or the driver) can access and make changes on the move. The cargo camera allows you to add a camera to the front for wheeling is my understanding. You can also run the back up camera while driving forward. I dont have my JL yet and only just started reading about all the features so I could be off alittle

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
So...I guess I'm not the only one on here that doesn't know about "Nav Restrictions" or the "Cargo Camera" since no one has replied to what they are since mine and your original postings.
Nav restrictions removal allows a passenger to enter nav addresses or info while the vehicle is moving. The cargo camera allows you to install another camera and show it on the display. Many, including me, intend to put a front camera on their JL's to help with spotting while doing technical off-roading.

Edit: @BostonBilly beat me to it!

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So...I guess I'm not the only one on here that doesn't know about "Nav Restrictions" or the "Cargo Camera" since no one has replied to what they are since mine and your original postings.
I think you are restricted from entering a location in the nav when you are moving. This restricts the passenger from doing it too. The cargo camera is just another video feed you can add.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I would like to be able to add a front facing camera for off-road use but also a camera on the back of my boat so I can see behind it.
Sponsored