Tazer Mini Question

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Thank you for asking this! I was thinking about this (I’m bored right now) and was thinking this approach was the “better” way to do it for the exact reason you state (dealership visit). If it is working for you, I’m going to go redo mine right now.
It seems to be working as the Tazer is working fine. Haven’t tried the un-marry part, but with Rhinbeck01’s confirmation I think we are good.

Scott
Sponsored

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
@DaddyEngineer

No, you did it right.... my explanation to @webwbr a way back that I copied and pasted to @Chile1 was flawed.... I was half asleep I guess when I originally explained... Sorry to have confused things...

So, yes, as you mention above is correct..

IF you hang the Tazer JL with a hanger or with Velcro right where you can easily pull the below column plastic to get to it.... before you go to the dealer .... you first unmarry.... then you just unplug the 2 SGW cables from the Tazer JL Mini itslf and plug those 2 cables into the free/distal end of the SGW Extension Cable..... then just neatly place/tuck the extension cable up up and out of the way until you hook up the Tazer JL again.

Whole beauty of the SGW Extension Cable is that with it you do not have to deal with the two fixed SGW connect points way up there.... that are a pain to get to..

Thanks for the reply back.

It took me about 10 minutes to get the plugs out, but over 20 minutes to get the extension plugs in. Finally had to take the door off. Even then I had to finally just force my hand into the area and take the cuts and scrapes. Glad I’ll never have to do that again!

Scott

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Chile1

Well, glad to got-er done... Now, aren't you glad you bought the SGW Extension Cable ... had it there before you did get the deed done...

Geeeez, since no Wife or Teen to help you.....to do it ........ GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ, you would have been better off / less work...... going out and hiring some skinny ass hooker to come home with you and do you and the JL.... 😬

OP
OP
Chile1

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
Very glad i had the extension cable. One more question in setting up my Tazer Mini. i have the jeep in run and using the up and down arrow keys but i’m only finding ”Music Off” and not “Music Muted”. Is that the same thing or am I doing something wrong…..

btw the wife was the one that recommended that i remove the driver's seat. i didn't want her or my teenage daughter scratching up their fingers and wrists. i'll find a skinny hooker next time...lol

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chile1

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
never mind i figured it out - ”Music Off” same as “Music Muted”. Just did not want to screw things up hence my question. In any case, Tazer Mini has been successfully installed and I've just programmed the Proximity door locks i had installed over the weekend. Pretty exited as this was the only option that my Jeep did not have and that i wish i had..

frogger2020

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Wrangler JL
Finally got the f’ing SGW cables plugged and this is how I did it… i had to remove the driver's seat which gave me the much needed room to work with..
With the seat off you can now install a side mounted dead pedal. That was a hundred fold more difficult to install than the SGW. I am still twisted over from installing that thing.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
but if you remove your Tazer (if you need to take the Jeep in to the dealer for repairs or if you simply don't want to have the Tazer connected 24/7) it does not automatically unmarry itself and loose all the added vehicle settings, correct?
When you marry the Tazer, it stores a copy of the original vehicle settings as it found them. When you un-marry it, it copies those settings back to the vehicle, restoring the vehicle to a state as if the Tazer had never been there.

If you simply unplug the Tazer, but do not un-marry it, then any non-live settings you have changed will remain in effect. Tire size, final drive ratio, features you have enabled, etc. When you plug it back in, then you get the live functions back.

Note that you are supposed to un-marry the Tazer before taking the vehicle anywhere near a dealership. This is because the dealership could flash your vehicle computers with new software that is not compatible with the data stored in the Tazer. When the Tazer tries to restore its copy of the data back to the vehicle at a later date, you could experience severe and crippling problems due to data format incompatibility. To avoid this problem, you are supposed to un-marry the Tazer before taking the vehicle anywhere near a dealership.

When you un-marry the Tazer, it loses all your settings, and when you re-marry it at a later time, you have to start from scratch programming everything.

Note that I un-married and un-plugged my Tazer for good. Lots of people love them, but I never quite trusted it, and it made me nervous. I switched to J-Scan. In principle, now that I've edited vehicle settings with J-Scan, I could probably marry the Tazer and retain those settings through marry/un-marry cycles. I have not attempted this.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Note that I un-married and un-plugged my Tazer for good.
Me too. Mine kept trashing my sound system, and I made sure it had the latest firmware installed. Would lock it up so that it wouldn't work at all. Would have to do an on/off cycle about half a dozen times to get the radio back, but don't dare change the station or the source.

JeepFiend

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door, 2011 Ford F-150 STX
Occupation
System Administrator
Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but this has been my one concern over the Tazer JL.

I've heard a lot of people say to unmarry before taking it in for service, which puts the computer back to a stock state. Some have suggested that if your computer is flashed, and it wasn't unmarried previously, then you unmarry later, it loses the flash too...which makes sense because it's basically a config file being uploaded.

My concern is, if you use the Tazer to set gears, I've also heard that if your gears are off, it will throw the Jeep into limp mode because the wheel speed sensor doesn't match the speed sensor, yada, yada, yada.

So if the above assumptions are true, do y'all just limp your Jeep into the dealer, get the work done and re-marry and reset the gear? Is the limp mode concept about inaccurate gears a myth? I was thinking of going with Smart ESS and jscan for this reason.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but this has been my one concern over the Tazer JL.

I've heard a lot of people say to unmarry before taking it in for service, which puts the computer back to a stock state. Some have suggested that if your computer is flashed, and it wasn't unmarried previously, then you unmarry later, it loses the flash too...which makes sense because it's basically a config file being uploaded.

My concern is, if you use the Tazer to set gears, I've also heard that if your gears are off, it will throw the Jeep into limp mode because the wheel speed sensor doesn't match the speed sensor, yada, yada, yada.

So if the above assumptions are true, do y'all just limp your Jeep into the dealer, get the work done and re-marry and reset the gear? Is the limp mode concept about inaccurate gears a myth? I was thinking of going with Smart ESS and jscan for this reason.
Read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tazer-mini-needs-to-stay-married.61293/post-1619099
Sponsored