Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
Do loose all of your programmed settings if you remove the Tazer Mini from your Jeep?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Do loose all of your programmed settings if you remove the Tazer from your Jeep?
@Chile1

Assume you will lose all settings.... however you may possibly see one or more not being lost..

Best when you program / set-up features with a Tazer JL, that you keep a paper cheat sheet with the settings/features you use/set inside the JL. Sure makes redo / checking settings an easier deed.

Been there done that, got the t-shirt....
Jeep Wrangler JL Tazer Mini Question Mini

OP
OP
Chile1

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
for example, i just installed the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry kit and i will use the Tazer Mini to enable this retrofit. I'm trying to avoid the hassle (and added expense) of having the dealer programmed it with the sales code of GXD. ideally if i were to take it to the dealer for other repair work and had to remove the Tazer, all of these changes (tire size, gear ratio, front camera, proximity keyless entry enablement etc) would not disappear. if they disapear once you remove the Tazer, are these functions stored in your Tazer or do you have to reprogram all over again?

i had heard that the changes that are made to the "settings" while using the Tazer would not be lost and would remain on the onboard computer however the changes made to the "live functions" portion would only work while the Tazer is plugged in?

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
for example, i just installed the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry kit and i will use the Tazer Mini to enable this retrofit. I'm trying to avoid the hassle (and added expense) of having the dealer programmed it with the sales code of GXD. ideally if i were to take it to the dealer for other repair work and had to remove the Tazer, all of these changes (tire size, gear ratio, proximity keyless entry enablement etc) would not disappear.
@Chile1

To me it is no big deal to unmarry and lose settings when the JL heads to and is at the dealer..

No way would I pay the dealer to program...

While I am very very pro Tazer JL, I do dabble a bit with JSCAN. With JSCAN you do the settings and you do not have to unmarry when you go to the dealer...

IF .... if you really want too...... you could purchase a JSCAN license for your JL ($25+) and then buy an inexpensive OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner ($40+) to use with JSCAN and the SGW bypass you already have..

You already have a SGW bypass in place (thank you Tazer JL Mini) so you do not need to purchase another SGW bypass ...... so with the aformentioned $60 cash outlay ...... you could just do the settings for proximity and gear ratio and say tires with JSCAN...

Now, with the Tazer JL Mini, use it for dealing with ESS, and lots of other cool things that the JSCAN is at times often a pain in the ass to use... to do the deed with... Reality is the Tazer JL Mini is the pick of the iltter.... a pleasure and more......

Anyway... the best of both worlds so to speak.. A way you might like to go with..

OH... and yes, you can use both a Tazer JL and JSCAN concurrently if you want to call it that.

As for the expense of what I suggested... Easy to sell the hardware someday for close to what you paid for it... You could not resell the JSCAN license though.

OP
OP
Chile1

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
this is what i was able to confirm which looks like i would not loose the setting to the Proximity Entry mod if i were to remove the Tazer from my jeep.

Tazer JL Mini features can be broken into two categories;

Vehicle Settings – which are changes made to the Jeep like tire size, gear ratios,
or change settings to accommodate other upgrades or modifications. These
changes will continue to operate after the Tazer JL Mini is unplugged.

Live Functions – which are functions the Tazer JL Mini performs live, only while
plugged in.

Vehicle Settings:
– Change Tire Size
– Change Gear Ratio
– Change Transfer case LOW ratio
– Enable/Disable TPMS system
– Change TPMS pressure warning limit front/rear (25psi-85psi)
– Enable/Disable Backup camera
– Enable/Disable Cargo Camera input (8.4 Uconnect only)*
– Enable/Disable CD (wired audio) input*
– Enable/Disable TravelLink/XM traffic&weather
– Change Daytime Running Lights (DRL) region (type)
– Change DRL location
– Enable/Disable DRL Dropout function
– Enable/Disable factory fog lights
– Enable/Disable Fog Light Dropout (when Fogs shut off while High Beams are on)
– Enable/Disable Factory Halo lights (including BCM output for adding Halo’s)
– Enable/Disable One-touch lane change
– Change Headlight type (std/LED)
– Change Fog light type (std/LED)
– Change Taillight type (std/LED)
– Change Front Turn Signal type (std/LED) – supports aftermarket LED lights too
– Enable/Disable Trailer Tow setting
– Enable/Disable Aux Button settings
– Enable/Disable Blind Spot detection (if hardware added or removed)
– Enable/Disable/Change Parksense configuration
– Disable Electronic Sway Bar (if removed from vehicle)
– Disable Front Axle Disconnect module for axle swaps
– Disable Front and Rear Lockers for axle swaps
– Disable Electronic Steering Pump for hydraulic steering conversions
– Change cluster splash screen Wrangler/Sahara/Rubicon
– Change HVAC controls setting to allow use of dual zone controls on single zone Jeep (for those upgrading the 5″ radio)

-Enable HomeLink for those that add the Homelink Visor and harness

-Enable Proximity Entry for those that add the door handles and harnesses

-Enable 115v bed outlet for those that add the hardware on Gladiators

-Enable Automatic Headlamps (If hardware added)
– Enable/Disable PANIC button on remote
– One-touch return-to-stock – Quick “unmarry” function returns all vehicle settings back to
stock.

Live Functions:
– AutoStopStart disable – remembers last state of the auto stop start system and will set it for
you the next time you start the vehicle
– AutoTracKill – remembers last state of traction control system and will set it for you the next
time you start the vehicle
– Can disconnect sway bar in 2WD up to 30mph (any speed if button mapped SwayKill is used)
– Can use backup camera and added cargo/front/undercarriage camera or media player at
any speed
– TurnCAM – automatic backup camera when turn signals are used (8.4 uconnect only)
– Dark Mode- Turns off all exterior lighting and dash/radio/shifter lights while parked with
engine running.

-3rd Brake Flash – Set rate and number of flashes to pulse the 3rd brake light when brakes are applied for increased visibility
– Light Show mode – 6 preset and 3 make-your-own Light shows that flashes all the exterior
lights, perfect for car shows/first responders/off-road visibility. Control from Key Fob or
steering wheel buttons. Can be enabled for in-motion use for parades, off-road and legal
police/EMS.
– Axle Locker control (Rubicon) – Engage lockers in 2WD and 4Hi on demand.– TC Kill – Tuns off traction control, stability control and ABS.
– Hood Alarm – When the vehicle theft alarm is armed, monitors hood activity and will sound
the alarm and flash light shows if opened.
– Cooldown mode: Turn engine fans on demand when the ignition is on, engine not running
– Line Lock: Can lock front brakes for an easy burnout
– Rock Crawl: Can lock all four brakes by pressing steering wheel buttons to hold the vehicle
still, especially helpful when off-road.
– Winch Mode: Raise idle to 2000 RPM with a simple button press.
– Button Mapping: Use cruise up, down and right buttons as quick-access to some of Tazer
JL’s functions, when cruise control is off.
– Display DTC’s – Shows the diagnostic codes that’s making the check engine light come on.
– Clear CELs – Reset that pesky check engine light. Good when you have mods that set the
light and you know exactly why.
– 0 to 30 and 0 to 60 Timers – Displays 0-30 or 0-60 times on EVIC display

-Automatically blanks license plate lights when in Reverse on Gladiators, to remove glare on the backup camera at night.

-Vacuum/Boost gauge – Watch real-time Manifold Pressure, great for boosted/turbo applications
– Firmware updates – the new firmware is available periodically, always free!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Chile1

Yes, when removing the actual Tazer JL Mini / hardware.... you only lose "Live Functions"......

Proximity is a vehicle setting, so as long as you do not unmarry the setting will stay when you remove the TGazer JL hardware.

.......but when you unmarry you lose all..... not just Live Features but also Vehicle Settings.

As mentioned there is a chance that a vehicle setting may be retained when you unmarry... a slight chance..

OP
OP
Chile1

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
but if you remove your Tazer (if you need to take the Jeep in to the dealer for repairs or if you simply don't want to have the Tazer connected 24/7) it does not automatically unmarry itself and loose all the added vehicle settings, correct?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
but if you remove your Tazer (if you need to take the Jeep in to the dealer for repairs or if you simply don't want to have the Tazer connected 24/7) it does not automatically unmarry itself and loose all the added vehicle settings, correct?
@Chile1

Well, if you bring the JL to the dealership... even if just for an oil change you should really unmarry and remove the Tazer JL hardware..

If say for your daily.... day to day use of the JL, you would rather not leave the Tazer Mini attached.... sure you can just remove the Tazer JL hardware and not unmarry... Since you have not unmarried, all you will not have is the Live Features but yes, all your chosen/selected "Vehicle settings" will be maintained... will sat in use and not be affected at all.

OP
OP
Chile1

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
@Chile1

Well, if you bring the JL to the dealership... even if just for an oil change you should really unmarry and remove the Tazer JL hardware..

If say for your daily.... day to day use of the JL, you would rather not leave the Tazer Mini attached.... sure you can just remove the Tazer JL hardware and not unmarry... Since you have not unmarried, all you will not have is the Live Features but yes, all your chosen/selected "Vehicle settings" will be maintained... will sat in use and not be affected at all.

I have the cable pigtail extension which will make connecting to the Tazer a lot easier. I just wish there was a pigtail to make connection back to stock a breeze for when i take it to the dealer for repairs…. My thumbs are still sore as hell from doing the Proximity Entry retrofit yesterday….

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Did I do something wrong? I pulled the SWG cable out of the bypass, and plugged that into my Tazer mini. I also plugged the SWG extension cable into the bypass, but left the ends free. So I am expecting to un-marry the Tazer, pull it off the SWG cable, and then plug the SWG cable into the loose ends of the extension cable when I take it in to the dealership. Is that correct or am I confused?

Scott

Sponsored

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Amateur Cynic/Professional Skeptic
Did I do something wrong? I pulled the SWG cable out of the bypass, and plugged that into my Tazer mini. I also plugged the SWG extension cable into the bypass, but left the ends free. So I am expecting to un-marry the Tazer, pull it off the SWG cable, and then plug the SWG cable into the loose ends of the extension cable when I take it in to the dealership. Is that correct or am I confused?

Scott
Thank you for asking this! I was thinking about this (I’m bored right now) and was thinking this approach was the “better” way to do it for the exact reason you state (dealership visit). If it is working for you, I’m going to go redo mine right now.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Scott
@DaddyEngineer

No, you did it right.... my explanation to @webwbr a way back that I copied and pasted to @Chile1 was flawed.... I was half asleep I guess when I originally explained... Sorry to have confused things...

So, yes, as you mention above is correct..

IF you hang the Tazer JL with a hanger or with Velcro right where you can easily pull the below column plastic to get to it.... before you go to the dealer .... you first unmarry.... then you just unplug the 2 SGW cables from the Tazer JL Mini itslf and plug those 2 cables into the free/distal end of the SGW Extension Cable..... then just neatly place/tuck the extension cable up up and out of the way until you hook up the Tazer JL again.

Whole beauty of the SGW Extension Cable is that with it you do not have to deal with the two fixed SGW connect points way up there.... that are a pain to get to..

OP
OP
Chile1

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
I have a manual transmission and i’ve not been able to unplug the SGW plugs. I was able to unplug the large one but i’ve been trying to unplug the little one and it’s not budging. Maybe i’m just to big (6.3ft and 220lbs). I just can get the right angle to get my big ass hand up in there. I’ve skinned all my knuckles and the curse words have been flying all afternoon….. i’m thinking of removing the aluminum beam to open up some added real estate. Anyone else with a manual having similar problems..

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a manual transmission and i’ve not been able to unplug the SGW plugs. I was able to unplug the large one but i’ve been trying to unplug the little one and it’s not budging. Maybe i’m just to big (6.3ft and 220lbs). I just can get the right angle to get my big ass hand up in there. I’ve skinned all my knuckles and the curse words have been flying all afternoon….. i’m thinking of removing the aluminum beam to open up some added real estate. Anyone else with a manual having similar problems..
@Chile1

You are not the first to have had issues ... big handed, big guy related issues trying to get the two connectors free from the SGW..

Manual or automatic no difference... Yes, on say a 2018 JL, it is easier as there is no amplifier obstruction.

IF, if you can get the Wife or a Teen with smaller hands to do.... they will do the deed a lot easier then you... You have the SGW Extension cable so doing this deed is a one time thing.

IF you are going to keep at it... walk away for awhile and then try...

I have had my moments with the SGW connectors ..... even after doing the disconnects say 3 dozen times (yup, that many times) it still is a pain in the arse.... that is why I was an early adopter of the SGW Extension Cable.... I got mine directly from the Chinese manufacturer a day or so after it became available.

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Amateur Cynic/Professional Skeptic
@DaddyEngineer

No, you did it right.... my explanation to @webwbr a way back that I copied and pasted to @Chile1 was flawed.... I was half asleep I guess when I originally explained... Sorry to have confused things...

So, yes, as you mention above is correct..

IF you hang the Tazer JL with a hanger or with Velcro right where you can easily pull the below column plastic to get to it.... before you go to the dealer .... you first unmarry.... then you just unplug the 2 SGW cables from the Tazer JL Mini itslf and plug those 2 cables into the free/distal end of the SGW Extension Cable..... then just neatly place/tuck the extension cable up up and out of the way until you hook up the Tazer JL again.

Whole beauty of the SGW Extension Cable is that with it you do not have to deal with the two fixed SGW connect points way up there.... that are a pain to get to..

Aha! Ok cool. No harm no fowl @Rhinebeck01… just spend 20 minutes fighting that SGW back in. NOW… I feel satisfied that when o go to the deal I have a 30 second process. Whew!

I see the post ahove that @Chile1 is still struggling. I almost asked my daughter to try it for me!
Sponsored