Occupation
Making Trash
Great update.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The key word is "continuously " flashing. Doing so for 3- 4 flashes, then returning to solid red not an issue. Returning to solid red avoids confusion with Hazard Flashers, Emergency vehicles.
I make a point of pulsing my brake lights, on all vehicles, to make sure followers are " paying attention "

CJACKZ

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2003 Expedition, 2003 C230 kompressor
Occupation
Making Trash
Are there other options to pulsing the third brake light other than a Tazer?

Sponsored

CJACKZ

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2003 Expedition, 2003 C230 kompressor
Occupation
Making Trash
Great point. May also help if wife hits me with her Tazer as I apply the brakes. 😂

1609389516937.png

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure if you're referring to parts or modules, but there are aftermarket options that don't require a programmer such as the Tazer.

Last edited:

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
This may be me unknowingly whacking a hornet’s nest, but oh well...

I just did this - updated my Tazer and activated the pulsing 3rd brake light. It makes a ton of sense to me because it’s always grabbed my attention when I’m closely trailing motorcycles And they hit the brakes.

After some Googling (dangerous I know), I realized this was illegal in many states (or it was around 2016-2018 when most of the articles I read were written) because flashing or pulsing imitates emergency response vehicles and could cause confusion. So, brake lights had to remain a constant brightness (no flickering, pulsing, flashing, etc.). Obviously, this law and its interpretation is state-by-state.

But, here’s my question - If I kept this operational and was heavily rear-ended at a traffic light and a bystander or the other driver reported that they saw my tail light pulsing and it was confirmed true, could I be held liable and blamed for the accident because I was not compliant to the code and running an illegal mod (or if not a legal thing, could insurance companies deny a claim for this reason)?

Not trying to be an ass - sincerely asking because we have tons of terrible drivers and tons of a-holes who want to avoid blame and point fingers to cover their backsides when they screw up.

Asking for a friend....
I don’t find this question or concern outrageous at all. It is the same thing why I have never tinted or smoked my taillights as I always thought that was cool but for the reason you say I have never done it. I would love to know how a lawyer would interpret this.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
This may be me unknowingly whacking a hornet’s nest, but oh well...

I just did this - updated my Tazer and activated the pulsing 3rd brake light. It makes a ton of sense to me because it’s always grabbed my attention when I’m closely trailing motorcycles And they hit the brakes.

After some Googling (dangerous I know), I realized this was illegal in many states (or it was around 2016-2018 when most of the articles I read were written) because flashing or pulsing imitates emergency response vehicles and could cause confusion. So, brake lights had to remain a constant brightness (no flickering, pulsing, flashing, etc.). Obviously, this law and its interpretation is state-by-state.

But, here’s my question - If I kept this operational and was heavily rear-ended at a traffic light and a bystander or the other driver reported that they saw my tail light pulsing and it was confirmed true, could I be held liable and blamed for the accident because I was not compliant to the code and running an illegal mod (or if not a legal thing, could insurance companies deny a claim for this reason)?

Not trying to be an ass - sincerely asking because we have tons of terrible drivers and tons of a-holes who want to avoid blame and point fingers to cover their backsides when they screw up.

Asking for a friend....
They are legal in Indiana. We need to make a list. It is easy to turn it on and off.

If someone rear ends you, though, they are liable. That little feature ain't going to get them off the hook. You, on the other hand, if it did become an issue, would probably get no more than a ticket. Big deal. But who is going to even think to report something like this? If it is a rear-ending, nobody will care about interviewing bystanders and if they do, the bystander will be more interested in talking about the wreck, not a detail like that.

I think the most likely scenario in one of those states is that a bored cop notices it and decides to write a ticket or give you a warning. Doubt they'd do it if it is cold or nasty outside, though. I sure wouldn't bother with it. This would be one of those laws on the books that nobody cares about and only keeps utitlities and service companies from installing them. Around here, Xfinity, utilities, and such all have them. Also, in Indiana, you can use the light show as long as each side is blinking simultaneously and the lights are red or amber. It'd be easy to program one that complies but still flashes frequently enough and in a unique way that gets plenty of attention. I haven't done that yet, but one day I'll figure out how to program it and will make one.

I'm no lawyer, btw. I just don't think a bystander's attention will be on that feature. They'll be happy to talk about how the guy didn't stop and creamed you in the rear.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s an insight from a cop in Florida.
That's what the ones I've seen do. 2 or 3 or 4 and then they stay on. That's what I think orignially requested from Tazer JL a couple years ago. I'm glad Joe has set this up! I think it is a great feature that has a chance of grabbing the attention of a bozo on a cell phone.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Click.

The linked module is easily connected to vehicle wiring as the installer chooses.