Sponsored

3rd Brake Light Options

STLYoungblood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I don't really care for the current placement of the 3rd brake light. Seems like bigger tires will be problematic when I get to that, and even with current stock, it's still very much in my rear view mirror. What have some of you opted for that is considered legal (in most states) and cool/functional.
Thanks, STL
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@STLYoungblood

There are multiple 3rd Brake Light relocation solutions. Mopar has a 3rd Brake Light relocation kit and the solution is DOT approved.

Unfortunately, most all , if not all other 3rd Brake Light solutions will be a no go when it comes to State Vehicle Inspection time.

No, not all states have Vehicle Inspection but I think most do.

A few here have installed an LED light ring and removed the stock 3rd brake light altogether. Requires splicing into the 3rd Brake Light wiring harness. Requires some metal cutting on the offering to get it to work on the JL The LED light ring is not DOT approved. This vehicle will not pass State Vehicle Inspection.

A couple of forum members here have installed the LED light ring but have also left the stock 3rd brake light in place. Requires splicing into the 3rd Brake Light wiring harness. This vehicle will pass Vehicle State Inspection.

There are also a couple of copy cat aftermarket relocation offerings that mount similar to the Mopar relocation kit. These offerings use the stock 3rd Brake Light, move it down and mount it just as Mopar mounts their offering. I have seen two of these aftermarket offerings and I don't care for their look. No wire splicing required. This vehicle will pass State Vehicle Inspection.

Personally, I do not care for the LED light ring look. I do not care for the aftermarket kits brackets on the ones that mount as the Mopar 3rd Brake Light offering does.... I need to be able to pass State Vehicle Inspection with a DOT approved 3rd Brake Light. So, I went with the Mopar Relocation kit at least for now.

Anyway, I went with the $70+- Mopar 3rd Brake Light Relocation Kit. Sees you removing the 3rd Brake Light mounting bracket and the 3rd Brake Light itself is moved down to center of spare..... down so it does not block rear view. The relocation requires a simple install with no splicing into the factory wiring harness. Takes about 15 min. to install. Easy install for most anyone. This vehicle will pass State Vehicle Inspection.

Here is a thread regarding the Mopar 3rd Brake Light location kit:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mopar-chmsl-relocation-kit-part-number-82215349.5491/

fullsizeoutput_13bc.jpeg

You can buy the LED 3rd Brake Light Ring here: https://www.amazon.com/Xprite-Spare-Light-Lights-Wrangler/dp/B074HS1CRZ/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1528244141&sr=8-31&keywords=jl,+wrangler
You do need to make a slight modification to make it work on a JL.

kkkk.jpg

Village Idiot

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
@STLYoungblood
Personally, I do not care for the LED light ring look. I do not care for the aftermarket kits brackets on the ones that mount as the Mopar 3rd Brake Light offering does.... I need to be able to pass State Vehicle Inspection with a DOT approved 3rd Brake Light. So, I went with the Mopar Relocation kit at least for now.
I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them Sam I am...

seriously? I live in commiefornia, and even here we don’t have bureaucrats inspecting brake lights to see if they are DOT approved. WTF is going on in Texas?!
Sponsored