Tazer - Increasing Tire Size Not Changing Speedometer

Dom1505

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlus
I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions and replies. I determined that the key to obtaining programming success with the Tazer is that when you hit a roadblock where it isn't responding to your commands, the key is to un-marry it, do a couple of sleep cycles (turning the ignition off, opening and shutting the door and waiting until the dash lights go out then starting the engine, shutting it down and repeating this process again). That get's everything back to stock and allows you to start with a totally clean slate. Then, you re-marry it and start over from scratch. I did that once and obtained immediate success.
My second takeaway and hint for those that want to get their speedometer set perfectly with the GPS, is that you may need to try two or three tire size settings as the Tazer choices (which are in .09 inch increments) may or may not correspond with your manual measurements of your tire heights or what your tire manufacturer specifies as the tire height.
So, in the end, I got mine programmed perfectly and everything set exactly the way I wanted it. I'd say the main key is, be patient and prepared to do some experimenting with the tire size/speedometer setting (test runs to get to highway speeds to check your success took some time), but it works as it should and I am happy (however I have yet to hear back from @joe@zauto or Ian who I emailed at tech support).
Your the man, this helped me out i could not figure out what was going on. I was having the same issue!
Thank you

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
should I assume that everyone that has used a Tazer to re-set their tire size to correct their speedometer and odometer calibration due to running oversized tires, was successful in doing so? If so, did you confirm that the changes you made were accurate by checking your Jeep speedometer with a GPS speedometer?
I used the Tazer to change mine to 35s. I used the number that was one above 35, like 35.04 or something. When I drive by one of those police things that shows you your speed and tells you to slow down, my speedo matches it perfectly. Even before I changed ties, I tried maybe 3 GPS apps and none 100% matched with my speedo.

Reactions: J0E

Sponsored

wildallways

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon 392 2021 Ford Explorer ST
I used the Tazer to change mine to 35s. I used the number that was one above 35, like 35.04 or something. When I drive by one of those police things that shows you your speed and tells you to slow down, my speedo matches it perfectly. Even before I changed ties, I tried maybe 3 GPS apps and none 100% matched with my speedo.
Those roadside speed indicators are only accurate when your far away and the only car around. It picks up the closest, biggest or fastest vehicle. As you get closer to the device, the angle between the speed device and your car increases and it will display a slower speed then what you are actually going. Also its dependent on the angle the radar gun in the unit is pointing. Setting your cruise at various speeds, 35, 40, 45, 50 etc, etc and watching your GPS speed is more accurate then the radar speed display thing on the side of the road. Those things can be 1-2-3mph slower then your actual speed depending how they are set up. On the plus side, it will NEVER display a speed faster then what your actually going. I taught Radar and Laser classes to California Law Enforcement for many years.

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
I cannot get the correct tire size selected on my Tazer either. I have two problems:

1. None of the Apps gives a constant reading. I would set the Jeep's cruise control at 75 miles/hr and the GPS Apps would fluctuate by 5 miles/hr either way.
2. I used the GPS speed of the uConnect Satnav and that does not work because no matter what tyre size I select the speedo remains about 2 miles/hr more than the Satnav GPS. I changed the tire size from 30" to 35" and it makes no difference.

considering that I canged from 255/75R17 to 285/70R17 (32.2" to 32.7" minor change) I am going to leave the tire size setting at the default.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions and replies. I determined that the key to obtaining programming success with the Tazer is that when you hit a roadblock where it isn't responding to your commands, the key is to un-marry it, do a couple of sleep cycles (turning the ignition off, opening and shutting the door and waiting until the dash lights go out then starting the engine, shutting it down and repeating this process again). That get's everything back to stock and allows you to start with a totally clean slate. Then, you re-marry it and start over from scratch. I did that once and obtained immediate success.
My second takeaway and hint for those that want to get their speedometer set perfectly with the GPS, is that you may need to try two or three tire size settings as the Tazer choices (which are in .09 inch increments) may or may not correspond with your manual measurements of your tire heights or what your tire manufacturer specifies as the tire height.
So, in the end, I got mine programmed perfectly and everything set exactly the way I wanted it. I'd say the main key is, be patient and prepared to do some experimenting with the tire size/speedometer setting (test runs to get to highway speeds to check your success took some time), but it works as it should and I am happy (however I have yet to hear back from @joe@zauto or Ian who I emailed at tech support).
Precisely the same issue including lack of screen responsiveness. In my haste to try to navigate menu I inadvertently unmarried my Tazer. At the time I thought I would simply remarry the Tazer and reset everything to my preferences and go.

I had stopped on the side of the road because I had a CEL. at the beginning of a very long trip and wanted to know what was going on.

Finding your thread while going down the road let me properly know how to reset everything and it is very much appreciated. Problem solved. 2 sleep cycles required after remarry. Same after making changes and the required Full Reboot. I did it all so did 4 sleep cycles beginning to end.

GED

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Found this thread while searching for a resolution to my problems.

Wanted to report on what I was missing:
During the sleep cycles, you need to count 60 seconds after EVERYTHING goes black.

I thought everything went black when you open the door, but no.
If you raise your head, you can see that the odometer is still on:
Jeep Wrangler JL Tazer - Increasing Tire Size Not Changing Speedometer IMG_8848

One has to wait 45 seconds for the dash to go black and then another 60 seconds, so a total of 1 minute 45 seconds, and do it twice after waiting the 150 seconds of the Full reboot.

And also don't forget to drive on the freeway for ~20 minutes before checking if your new speed is correct.

==============

Also, I noticed that for me measuring the tire height did not yield a correct speed. Since changing for lerger tires, was no longer exact match with the speed displayed by Waze on my phone.
So measured tire size was still below by 1mph, changed & added one inch which led to the speedometer finally being faster than Waze.
I have been changing/adjusting the tire size to get to a closer match with Waze.

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Willys
Fellow Tazer Tire Size victim here…

I recently came across this problem. I’ve followed all of your steps. I’ve unmarried, remarried (did this three times) and did all of the reboots and cycles and even have a little extra to the cycle time after the dash (everything) went dark like the instructions say. I drove around for 25 minutes or so and I’m still reading a 2mph difference between my speedo and gps app. I downloaded another gos app just to cross reference and it was also telling me 2mph difference. My firmware is up to date. I sent customer support a question, but that could be a week or two before I hear back. Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Maybe I'm just old but all this tech has made some of you very OCD when it comes to things that just aren't that critical in my opinion. Roadside radar isn't accurate enough? My GPS is off by 1-2mph? I miss the days when the speedo was driven off a gear in the transfer case and we just did some math to figure out about how far it was off after a tire swap and guesstimate freeway speeds to avoid tickets. Going from 33s to 35s is a 6% increase. Speedo says 70, you're traveling 74. Problem solved. Now with the mpg/trip computer and all I do run a tazer, but I never spent the time tweaking it to be perfect, within 1-2mph is good enough for me.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
Just a quick update for the thread. I had the same issue with the speedo not taking the tire size settings and always staying 2 KPH slower then the GPS no matter what tire size I set.

The FIX:
- Unmarry the Tazer Mini.
- Do at least 2 full sleep cycles to make sure it’s unmarried
- Marry the Tazer, nothing more
- Reboot
- 2 full sleep cycles making sure to leave it at least 60 seconds after dash goes dark before starting the next sleep cycle
- now you can go in and customize your settings.
- Be sure to do a REBOOT again when done and at least 2 full sleep cycles
Sponsored