Tazer Extensions

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just put the Tazer Mini in m 2018 JL. Getting the two cables up under the dash unplugged took me several hours. I took a lot of drivers side plastic off the try and gain access to these. They were very hard to pull out because my hands barely fit into the spot.
Does the unit have to be unmarried and the cables moved back to their original place, or just unmarried to go to dealer if necessary? After the install ordeal it is going to be either no dealer or no Tazer for me. For my hands it is just about impossible to do this swap.
What I would like to have is a pair of about 6 inch extension cables to be left plugged into the jeep. The Tazer could then be easily removed and reinstalled. I would definitely be willing to pay for these rather than having to plug and unplug the cables from the Jeep.
Hopefully a small request that Joe will be able to do for us.
The front camera is really nice. Being able to see if the road washed away when going over a steep bump is going to be really nice here in the SW deserts.
Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
RonAZ

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have the Mini that doesn't use the OBDII port. I had trouble with the two smaller connectors above the OBDII that have to be removed and plugged into the Mini. It's almost like FCA made them very difficult to get to. Someone else also said that they had a difficult time with this.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Mini that doesn't use the OBDII port. I had trouble with the two smaller connectors above the OBDII that have to be removed and plugged into the Mini. It's almost like FCA made them very difficult to get to. Someone else also said that they had a difficult time with this.
Gotcha' that makes sense, I've never seen the mini, and thought it was the same as the TazerJL. I know the first time I removed the two plugs, they were in there pretty tight. They're easier to remove now. By the way, are you pulling out the center kick-panel section under the steering wheel? That definitely helps to get further up in there.

OP
OP
RonAZ

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yes I took out the center section and most of the left hand piece over the speaker. Comes with age I guess. I got out some sailing gloves from 30 years ago and they aren't even close to fitting anymore. I weigh the same though.

Sponsored

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I used a flat-head screw driver to push those tabs down, then pulled the connectors out - 5 mins. Sucks you had to spend time on that.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I keep unplugging mine and plugging it in I really want to know more of what youā€™re talking about removing the center panel. Iā€™m an old guy my hands are all cut up.

Yes I took out the center section and most of the left hand piece over the speaker. Comes with age I guess. I got out some sailing gloves from 30 years ago and they aren't even close to fitting anymore. I weigh the same though.

OP
OP
RonAZ

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
MacJack, the plastic cover panel under the steering column snaps off to give room to get behind the lower dash. I also removed some screws on the lower panel to the left and was able to pull it out a bit to get a second hand/finger onto to the wires that need to be unpluged. Yes I also have some cuts on my right hand as well.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that you have to plug the wires back into the factory module if you go to the Jeep store for service. That's what I am not looking forward to.
I got a response from Ian at Z Automotive today, but he didn't respond to my question about a pair of pigtails. This would be much easier if we could just plug a cable with a male and female end into each of the two holes in the factory module. All going into the dealer would require is unmarrying the Tazer and unplugging it, then plugging the two connectors into the pair of cables with the female ends. No more having to reach way up under the dash to plug and unplug the connectors. They should be able to buy the parts and assemble these for us larger handed people.
Good news is that everything is working well, and healing.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase