Tazer almost got me

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
So my Tazer on the TRX has been married and perfect since I installed it on July 7th 2023. I use almost all features.

Yesterday I was running errands and I stopped in a store for 5-10 minutes and my Tazer wasn't working at all when I started the truck back up. I thought it was weird but I guess I hoped it would sort itself out and besides having no Tazer functions, the truck worked as usual the rest of the day.

This morning I decided I would check it out. I tried to start the truck and it made a pop and all the screens were dead, as was the truck. I wanted to unmarry the Tazer but without a screen, I couldn't. I checked all fuses and everything else I could think of and everything looked fine. I then unplugged the Tazer and updated it and plugged it back in and nothing. I pulled out my jump box and the truck started right up. Volts read 13.1 and I drove it around a few miles. Several CELs were on and when I arrived back at the house, they all cleared with the Tazer. I will continue to test but now I kind of want to just disconnect it and be done. We spend way too much time way out in the Forest to have an unreliable truck.

Thoughts? I always assumed I would put one on the Jeep but not now.
My screens started doing odd things then my battery went dead (both). This probably has absolutely nothing to do with your issue. But I found when you make any changes to the Tazer that you need to do a complete reboot, otherwise the Tazer stays active (like leaving your FOB in the vehicle. I went through 3 sets of Batteries before I figured it out. I took mine out and I do miss it but I miss the $$$ out of my pocket because of it worse.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X, 2023 Rubicon 392
Clubs

My screens started doing odd things then my battery went dead (both). This probably has absolutely nothing to do with your issue. But I found when you make any changes to the Tazer that you need to do a complete reboot, otherwise the Tazer stays active (like leaving your FOB in the vehicle. I went through 3 sets of Batteries before I figured it out. I took mine out and I do miss it but I miss the $$$ out of my pocket because of it worse.
Thanks for the info. I think I have this figured out and is more of an user issue.

I thought that I had rebooted every time that I have made a change on the Tazer but it just crossed my mind, that maybe I haven't. A couple of weeks ago, I took my truck in for inspection. While I was waiting inline, I remembered reading something about amber driving lights being illegal. I decided to scroll through the Tazer to make sure I knew how to change them back. I don't remember actually changing anything but maybe I did.

Also, I only drove my truck, more than 5 miles, just 1 time all month. Maybe my battery was just drained. My CTEK charger showed 1 yellow light when I plugged it in yesterday. It took it 20 hours to turn green. I went out and the CTEK showed full green this morning and the truck fired right up. I also went ahead and rebooted the Tazer properly. I will keep an eye on it but hopefully that is all there is to it.

Last edited:

GavinH

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
@ParadigmDawg

I'm pretty familiar with the Tazer JL... :giggle:

More often then not when someone has an issue and come here and blame it on the Tazer JL they have installed, the end result is the issue was not Tazer JL related.
Not to jack the thread but ever since installing my Tazer the Off-road Roll & Pitch screen just say - - no numerical readout on either screen. Have you heard of this?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Not to jack the thread but ever since installing my Tazer the Off-road Roll & Pitch screen just say - - no numerical readout on either screen. Have you heard of this?
I have not "heard of this". Have you tried unmarrying the Tazer JL to see if the "numerical read out" returns after Tazer is out of the mix.

OP
OP
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

That seems strange. I don't have the issue on my TRX. I haven't purchased one for my Jeep yet.

Sponsored

GavinH

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have not "heard of this". Have you tried unmarrying the Tazer JL to see if the "numerical read out" returns after Tazer is out of the mix.
I tried unplugging it but not a full unmarry. I suppose I should try that next.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Along those lines, is there a way to completely reset the Tazer back to defaults? It seems to keep a subset of settings after unmarrying / remarrying it. I'm trying to address an issue where it periodically disables the front sway bar on its own.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Along those lines, is there a way to completely reset the Tazer back to defaults? It seems to keep a subset of settings after unmarrying / remarrying it. I'm trying to address an issue where it periodically disables the front sway bar on its own.
To the best of my knowledge the Tazer JL does not "keep a subset of settings after unmarrying / remarrying it."

Unmarry, load new firmware to the hardware and you are working with a clean slate so to speak.

You can reach out to Joe @ ZAutomotive but I do believe he will say the same thing.

OP
OP
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

To the best of my knowledge the Tazer JL does not "keep a subset of settings after unmarrying / remarrying it."

Unmarry, load new firmware to the hardware and you are working with a clean slate so to speak.

You can reach out to Joe @ ZAutomotive but I do believe he will say the same thing.
To Unmarry your Tazer, select “Unmarry” from the Vehicle Settings Menu (not Live). Then perform a “Full Reboot” and two sleep cycles as described on page 6. All of your settings will revert to whatever they were when you originally Married your Tazer.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To Unmarry your Tazer, select “Unmarry” from the Vehicle Settings Menu (not Live). Then perform a “Full Reboot” and two sleep cycles as described on page 6. All of your settings will revert to whatever they were when you originally Married your Tazer.
Ratbert was asking something else ... Yes, what you say is in regard to unmarrying.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Ratbert was asking something else ... Yes, what you say is in regard to unmarrying.
He stated " Along those lines, is there a way to completely reset the Tazer back to defaults? "

I answered " All of your settings will revert to whatever they were when you originally Married your Tazer. "

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

His language is rarely clear. I read this from the manual to mean that when you unmarry / marry that all of your changes are restored, but it could mean that they're all wiped back to factory specs.
Some of my settings seem to stick while others seem to be reset to defaults. I guess I need to flash it to get it back to a clean slate.

OP
OP
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

His language is rarely clear. I read this from the manual to mean that when you unmarry / marry that all of your changes are restored, but it could mean that they're all wiped back to factory specs.

Some of my settings seem to stick while others seem to be reset to defaults. I guess I need to flash it to get it back to a clean slate.
Agreed

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have nothing to add other than the anecdotal evidence of being 17,000 miles deep with my Tazer + JL and zero issues.
I am 110,000 miles deep with my Tazer and zero issue on my JLUR.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
I am 110,000 miles deep with my Tazer and zero issue on my JLUR.
I think in my case I just thought I knew everything and plugged it in, married it and just played with it continuously until I had it all figured out. But, I never read the part about doing a full reboot after changes or even getting into the program. Had I known that, I would have never experienced the problems I had. So I will man up and say I am to blame for my Tazer issues, and I warn others to read all the material!!!!
Sponsored