Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 4-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Advertising
  • Banned
I have a JLUR automatic. I intend to use the Jeep primarily as a daily driver. I want good gas mileage so I don't intend to disable the stop/start. Do I need the Tazer or similar product? If so, why?
Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I have a JLUR automatic. I intend to use the Jeep primarily as a daily driver. I want good gas mileage so I don't intend to disable the stop/start. Do I need the Tazer or similar product? If so, why?
If you are going to be putting on larger tires, it will allow you to adjust the speedometer so that it registers correctly. If it saves you one speeding ticket because of that, then it's probably paid for itself. :)

It allows some sort of light show with your various interior and exterior lights, but if you are an old fart like myself, that is probably not important to you. There's a couple of other things that it allows you to do that otherwise you would be paying the dealer to do, but I don't remember them. Go over to YouTube and look at the videos of "Jeep Informant". He did a video of some of the features of it.

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@ajasper6579

Not sure if you know this, but ZAutomotive is a sponsor here and the outfit that brings us the TazerJL.. ZAutomotive is just 15 or so minutes down the road from where you reside in NY. Actually, you will have to pay NYS sales tax on the TazerJL if you have it delivered to a NYS address.

There is a forum discount and also a military discount but you can only use one or the other discount when purchasing.

As for the TazerJL or any other programmer. Well, to be honest, it may make little sense for you to spend $300+- for one. Only you can decide...

Now, if you were going to increase tire size on your JLU, or add Aux Switches or add a Tow package then yes, a programmer in the long run will save you a few $. See, the TazerJL can enable these add on's so you do not have to pay the dealer $100+- a pop to do so.

Yes, both the TazerJL and the Flashcal are really terrific offerings, but for some like you they may offer little in return for the $ you spend.

What the TazerJL does for me in regard to my 2dr. Rubicon automatic:
  • Disables ESS
  • Disable Seat Belt Ding (you do not need a programmer to do this)
  • Enables High Beams with Fog Lights
  • Disables Nav restrictions (I or my passenger can make entries into the navigation system while vehicle is moving)
  • Triggers a Light Show (I already used this once in an Emergency situation)
  • Enable/Force Backup camera to be on when driving forward (I use this with Trailer towing often)
  • Changed DRL's
  • Reboot the JL's Computer if/when there is a computer glitch
  • Change Tire Size (Not done this but will be)
  • Change TPMS pressure warning limit front/rear
  • Disable Traction Control automatically.
  • Clear CEL's
  • 8-) Things to come that ZAutomotive will add to the programmer's bag of tricks lets say...
The things mentioned in the above list are done seamlessly... never with any dash warnings, etc.

I feel my $ spent on the TazerJL are $ well spent. I also keep in mind that in a few years when I blow off the JL, I will be able to sell the programmer on say Craigslist for a little under what I paid for it... So, I got years of programmer use, for what.... say 1/2 the price.

In closing, Ari .... look over my list, you decide if you would benefit enough to warrant spending the $. Yes, $300+- but you will recoop more then 1/2 that amount someday when you resell the programmer.

I know and @Swanny297 will tell you that I do... :clap: that I really love my TazerJL and what it does for me.......

Here is a link to the TazerJL instructions that will list all that it does:
https://www.zautomotive.com/zpu/instructions/TazerJLUserGuide1103.pdf

Last edited:

JohnnyB54

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
@ajasper6579

Not sure if you know this, but ZAutomotive is a sponsor here and the outfit that brings us the TazerJL.. ZAutomotive is just 15 or so minutes down the road from where you reside in NY. Actually, you will have to pay NYS sales tax on the TazerJL if you have it delivered to a NYS address.

There is a forum discount and also a military discount but you can only use one or the other discount when purchasing.

As for the TazerJL or any other programmer. Well, to be honest, it may make little sense for you to spend $300+- for one. Only you can decide...

Now, if you were going to increase tire size on your JLU, or add Aux Switches or add a Tow package then yes, a programmer in the long run will save you a few $. See, the TazerJL can enable these add on's so you do not have to pay the dealer $100+- a pop to do so.

Yes, both the TazerJL and the Flashcal are really terrific offerings, but for some like you they may offer little in return for the $ you spend.

• Disables ESS
  • Disables Nav restrictions (I or my passenger can make entries into the navigation system while vehicle is moving)
  • Enable/Force Backup camera to be on when driving forward (I use this with Trailer towing often)
  • Changed DRL's
  • Clear CEL's
  • 8-) Things to come that ZAutomotive will add to the programmer's bag of tricks lets say...
The things mentioned in the above list are done seamlessly... never with any dash warnings, etc.

I feel my $ spent on the TazerJL are $ well spent. I also keep in mind that in a few years when I blow off the JL, I will be able to sell the programmer on say Craigslist for a little under what I paid for it... So, I got years of programmer use, for what.... say 1/2 the price.

In closing, Ari .... look over my list, you decide if you would benefit enough to warrant spending the $. Yes, $300+- but you will recoop more then 1/2 that amount someday when you resell the programmer.

I know and @Swanny297 will tell you that I do... :clap: that I really love my TazerJL and what it does for me.......

@Rhinebeck01

I see zautomotive has a 631 area code. Do you know if they are in Suffolk county and do they have a store front so I could save on shipping? Also could you post or PM me the forum discount code? Thanks

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JohnnyB54

Do research on the Flashcal also... Another programmer. I think most so far have gone with the TazerJL.

For info on TazerJL discount, read this post:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tazer-programmer-for-the-jl.5405/page-39#post-293687

I think ZAutomotive is near or in Commack, NY. SHIPPING is FREE to anywhere in the Continental, USA.......so no worry about pick-up. You will get 2-3 days after ordering.

As mentioned, if you ship to a NYS zip code or even if you pick it up, you will be paying sales tax. Do as I did and ship to a non NYS addy and them mail to you in a $7.00 priority mailer.. Will save you quite a bit doing this.

Oh, do get the 2 year warranty for $20 extra. Click on where it says 90 day and you will be offered the 2yr. at $20.

Buy direct from ZAutomotive:
https://zautomotive.com/product/tazer-jl/

By the way, I have nothing to do with ZAutomotive. Just a very happy TazerJL owner.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Can the Tazer JL be configured so the alarm goes off when someone opens the hood on the JL? There are two switches triggered when the hood is opened.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
For me the Tazer at first was a luxury as I hated the ESS system and the Tazer lite had not been released so I purchased it to turn off ESS only but then I addded larger tires so calibrated my speedo so that helped justify the cost then I changed the fog light drop on high beans as this helps a lot and then after I added the larger tires I wanted to run lowers pressures but was getting the TPMS alarm telling me to inflate so I changed the alarm setpoints to get rid of that , I don’t presently have LED’s but plan on adding them soon and once I do I can flash the system to take LED’s so I don’t get hyper flash.

So in the end I got it thinking I would not use many features but find I use more of them all the time

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
An old thread, I know. For the items mentioned in your list, does the Tazer need to be connected all the time? Or, is it like the VCDS tool (VW) where you just change the coding, pop the plug back off and Bobs your uncle?

@ajasper6579

• Disables ESS
  • Changed DRL's
  • Clear CEL's

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@pablo_max3045

That list has features that are non-live and live features.

With some features need to keep the Tazer JL plugged in all the time (Live features) and for other's you can just program them and then remove the Tazer JL and it's companion module if you desire to do so and your programming is still retained. (As long as you do not unmarry the Tazer JL)

If interested in the Tazer JL, there are plenty of threads / posts on the forum, that you can read that will fill you in so to speak, in regard to the Tazer JL.

I have also attached the User's Guide for current final release firmware 11.0.6.

Reading the User Guide will answer the question you asked today and more..

Attachments

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
If you are going to be putting on larger tires, it will allow you to adjust the speedometer so that it registers correctly. If it saves you one speeding ticket because of that, then it's probably paid for itself. :)

It allows some sort of light show with your various interior and exterior lights, but if you are an old fart like myself, that is probably not important to you. There's a couple of other things that it allows you to do that otherwise you would be paying the dealer to do, but I don't remember them. Go over to YouTube and look at the videos of "Jeep Informant". He did a video of some of the features of it.
Gotta agree I just adjusted my tires size on the tazer, I was way off. 5 minute fix....
Sponsored