Tailgate hinge replacement

L.G.Clarke

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 2 door Sport S & 2005 Honda P250 "Big Ruckus"
I’m changing the stock tires 245/75 R17 to LT285/70R17. How much extra weight can I put on the spare tire holder/tailgate without having to change the hinge assembly?
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
You should never need to replace hinges. The weak part are the tailgate rivets. I've had Wranglers since 2007 and I've never heard of a broken hinge, although many perpetuate the myth. If you move up to a 35 or greater, you'll need tailgate reinforcement.

OP
OP

L.G.Clarke

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should never need to replace hinges. The weak part are the tailgate rivets. I've had Wranglers since 2007 and I've never heard of a broken hinge, although many perpetuate the myth. If you move up to a 35 or greater, you'll need tailgate reinforcement.
Thanks Rick,

I was only assuming that the Rugged Ridge HD TIRE CARRIER HINGE CASTING (PART #:11546.56) was to replace the hinges & reinforce the tailgate…..

My saying “change the hinge assembly” wasn’t referring to ONLY change the hinges!

Sponsored

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I run a 35 on my tailgate. Have had it on for the last year. Wheel it at least monthly sometimes more. No issues at all. Only thing I did was extend the bump stops so it is right against the tire on both sides. If you search the forum people are running 37’s on the stock tailgate as well with no issues.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I've had a 17x9 wheel and 38x13.5 tire hanging from my tailgate for a few months now. Only change to the gate was a Teraflex Alpha HD carrier, for its height and depth adjustments.

It has yet to cause any issues, but I wouldn't trust bumping around off road with it as is. For some added beef and peace of mind, I chose the Cavfab hinged reinforcement and carrier. I won't make any decrees on what would fail, but I got the whole shebang for less than what many here have spent on the non hinged Mopar reinforcement that doesn't come with an adjustable carrier. And I don't have to pillage any barstools to make it work. :like:

OP
OP

L.G.Clarke

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I run a 35 on my tailgate. Have had it on for the last year. Wheel it at least monthly sometimes more. No issues at all. Only thing I did was extend the bump stops so it is right against the tire on both sides. If you search the forum people are running 37’s on the stock tailgate as well with no issues.
Thanks for the feed-back, I really appreciate the help. My first Wrangler & just bought 3 months ago.....cheers
Sponsored