HELP! Broken Tailgate Hinge Bolt

GreenAustin37

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 4 door
Needing some suggestions on what to do about this broken hinge bolt. Tried an extractor, and ended up snapping the bolt itself off. It's been suggested I should drill it out. Would I be better off removing the plastic on the other side and trying to get it out that way? How would that work?

Thanks in advance for your help. 2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport.

IMG_4346.jpg

IMG_4347.jpg
Sponsored

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Haven’t taken the gate apart but if you can reach it from the inside with vice grips it may be the best bet. The heat from the drilling may have loosened it up.

OP
OP
GreenAustin37

GreenAustin37

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 4 door
If that's possible that'd be great, Not sure though as it's a little unclear from the photos I see online of the other side of the gate with the plastic piece off if there's something there I can use to get it out like that. Hoping someone can provide some more info before I go pulling that off later ;)

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Is it on the tailgate or body side of the hinge? Either way, take the plastic off and see if you're dealing with a blind or through hole and re-evaluate.
There's plenty of options out there. You can certainly still use an easy out on a snapped bolt.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Needing some suggestions on what to do about this broken hinge bolt. Tried an extractor, and ended up snapping the bolt itself off. It's been suggested I should drill it out. Would I be better off removing the plastic on the other side and trying to get it out that way? How would that work?

Thanks in advance for your help. 2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport.

IMG_4346.jpg

IMG_4347.jpg
Take the plastic off the inside of the tailgate. There's a plate held into place by two of those bolts. You'll be able to get that off and work the remaining portion out or order a new plate and new bolts. It's not as bad as it seems.
Sponsored