JL Wrangler tailgate hinge bolts

FisheadH2O

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Jeep Weangler
I have purchase a flagpole holder that mounts using two hinge bolts. I have lifted the Jeep and put on 35” wheels on it. I put on a relocation plate for larger tire on tailgate. I need to remove one bolt from each top and bottom hinge. My question is do I need to remove tire because of weight before removing bolts. I’m not sure if tailgate can hold weight with two bolts missing for a short time until I can get flagpole holder back on. I attach a photo of someone else has mounted it on their Wrangler. Any help is much appreciated!

AD55A310-9CE4-4F82-9674-B1EBEB391611.jpeg
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I can't say if you need to remove the tire or not, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. If I were in your shoes, I'd remove the tire just as a precaution against any flexing/shifting. An ounce of prevention and all that.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
how about using a 2x4 stud to wedge it between the floor and the tire.. maybe a combination of a stud and a floor jack / bottle jack ... that way you can jack up the tire a bit to relieve the tire weight from the tailgate...

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Any help is much appreciated!
Get a pack of wood shims from Home Depot. Wedge a couple under the tailgate so that it can't shift downwards. You should then have no issue removing the 2 bolts and installing the flagpole holder.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Child labor. Yours or any neighborhood kid will do. Let them hold some of the weight while you do the "work".

Sponsored

OP
OP

FisheadH2O

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Jeep Weangler
how about using a 2x4 stud to wedge it between the floor and the tire.. maybe a combination of a stud and a floor jack / bottle jack ... that way you can jack up the tire a bit to relieve the tire weight from the tailgate...
Thanks! I do have a floor Jack to be able to do that. It sounds like an good way to relieve the pressure.
Sponsored