CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Hey all,

So looking at the possible tunes and exhausts and intakes coming out for our 2.0s, has any company started working on an upgraded heat exchanger for the turbo?

And has any company tested the efficiency of the heat exchanger yet or have IATs?
Sponsored

Rub-ISH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 2.0t, 22 Volvo XC60 T8 ER, 06 Audi A3
Hey all,

So looking at the possible tunes and exhausts and intakes coming out for our 2.0s, has any company started working on an upgraded heat exchanger for the turbo?

And has any company tested the efficiency of the heat exchanger yet or have IATs?
Mishimoto has an intake, intercooler pipe and catch can for the turbo. Quite a few Cat-back exhausts... only 2-3 piggy back tuners! Nothing direct to ECU

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Here's what I'm currently running with my Turbo:
Mishimoto catch can
Mishimoto CAI
Mishimoto Intercooler pipe
Go Fast Bits DV+ Diverter Valve
Hikeit X9 Throttle control
Dynomax Exhaust Delete
Burger Motorsports JB4 "piggyback" tuner

Looking into Cat-less down pipe but I heard that people are getting CEL's and I'm not sure of the gains for a Cat-ed aftermarket down pipe are worth the money. I would be interested in a Heat exchanger, if the pricing vs. results warranted it. What I would really like to see is a meth injection setup. The one thing to keep in mind is that although there are tons of things you can do to a turbo vehicle, not all of them will have a major effect based on the way Jeeps are driven. I sometimes have to remind myself that it's not a race car. lol.

OP
OP
CptFloridaMan

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Mishimoto catch can
Mishimoto CAI
Dynomax Exhaust Delete

Looking into Cat-less down pipe but I heard that people are getting CEL's and I'm not sure of the gains for a Cat-ed aftermarket down pipe are worth the money. I would be interested in a Heat exchanger, if the pricing vs. results warranted it. What I would really like to see is a meth injection setup. The one thing to keep in mind is that although there are tons of things you can do to a turbo vehicle, not all of them will have a major effect based on the way Jeeps are driven. I sometimes have to remind myself that it's not a race car. lol.
You've got a setup I essentially planned out in my head. My real concern with the jb4 despite being a piggyback is if I take it to the stealership is warranty issues if I do have any that come up. Any mods I'd do would be to enhance the powerband for a jeep, and while I'm sure someone's gonna slap a bigger compressor housing or slightly larger turbo and push the powerband higher it's still a box with two solid axles and the 2.0 fits my driving style really well.

I can't wait for the market to catch up to the hurricane engine because I'm super curious about IATs with oem heat exchangers and sitting in traffic in Miami in the middle of August. Coolant and oil stay at good levels but pushing more power with the JB4 has me concerned with heat.

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So I just recently had my Jeep in for warranty work for paint correction. All it did was set the JB4 back to map 0 and disconnect it. Took 5 minutes. Because it's a piggy back there is no trace on the computer.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
You've got a setup I essentially planned out in my head. My real concern with the jb4 despite being a piggyback is if I take it to the stealership is warranty issues if I do have any that come up. Any mods I'd do would be to enhance the powerband for a jeep, and while I'm sure someone's gonna slap a bigger compressor housing or slightly larger turbo and push the powerband higher it's still a box with two solid axles and the 2.0 fits my driving style really well.

I can't wait for the market to catch up to the hurricane engine because I'm super curious about IATs with oem heat exchangers and sitting in traffic in Miami in the middle of August. Coolant and oil stay at good levels but pushing more power with the JB4 has me concerned with heat.
The liquid to air cooler is the big limit in the Jeep to getting more power with JB4 or any type of tune..

The good news:

1) IAT's only get unreasonable under peak load. At idle or low/part load no change.

2) The Jeep uses a separate coolant loop for the liquid to air intercooler. This means we can modify to get better heat recovery without messing with the engine operating temperatures. This should help.

3) To go even further I'm contemplating going with https://killerchiller.com to drastically reduce IAT's under boost. Note the Dodge Demon uses such a setup from the factory, and common with the Dodge Hemi SC guys. I'm also looking to see if the factory parts used in the Demon could be made to work.

4) The JB4 is a 10 minute removal and 100% undetectable. So no issue going in for service.

Hope this helps

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Mishimoto catch can
Mishimoto CAI
Dynomax Exhaust Delete

LOL very true! How do you like the sound of the Dynomax muffler delete? Any drone or obnoxious sounds? I've been thinking about getting one for my JL but don't want to sound like a ricer afterwards.

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
LOL very true! How do you like the sound of the Dynomax muffler delete? Any drone or obnoxious sounds? I've been thinking about getting one for my JL but don't want to sound like a ricer afterwards.
It's loud and yes it drones. However on the highway the drone isn't that bad. Between the having the radio on and the wind noise you don't really notice it that bad. But on a start up when the engine idles it's pretty loud. I think it sounds alright but my fiance thinks it's annoying. I'll try to post a video/audio clip. If you want to get an idea of what it sounds like before purchasing. Just pull off the exhaust and that's pretty much what it will sound like.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
It's loud and yes it drones. However on the highway the drone isn't that bad. Between the having the radio on and the wind noise you don't really notice it that bad. But on a start up when the engine idles it's pretty loud. I think it sounds alright but my fiance thinks it's annoying. I'll try to post a video/audio clip. If you want to get an idea of what it sounds like before purchasing. Just pull off the exhaust and that's pretty much what it will sound like.
If you do get around to posting a soundclip I'd be interested to hear it, but just pulling the muffler off is a great idea and pretty easy. I might just do that this weekend since the weather looks like it will cooperate and I don't have much else to do LOL!

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you do get around to posting a soundclip I'd be interested to hear it, but just pulling the muffler off is a great idea and pretty easy. I might just do that this weekend since the weather looks like it will cooperate and I don't have much else to do LOL!
Just keep in mind that pulling the exhaust will give a good idea what it sounds like from the outside but will be a little louder on the inside because the exhaust tip won't be pointing down and out. Also the exhaust fumes will be up under the Jeep so you don't want to sit around in the Jeep idle or not moving for long periods of time to be safe.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CptFloridaMan

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
The liquid to air cooler is the big limit in the Jeep to getting more power with JB4 or any type of tune..

The good news:

1) IAT's only get unreasonable under peak load. At idle or low/part load no change.

2) The Jeep uses a separate coolant loop for the liquid to air intercooler. This means we can modify to get better heat recovery without messing with the engine operating temperatures. This should help.

3) To go even further I'm contemplating going with https://killerchiller.com to drastically reduce IAT's under boost. Note the Dodge Demon uses such a setup from the factory, and common with the Dodge Hemi SC guys. I'm also looking to see if the factory parts used in the Demon could be made to work.

4) The JB4 is a 10 minute removal and 100% undetectable. So no issue going in for service.

Hope this helps
Oh damn, I didn't know it was a 10-minute removal. That's making me a little more willing to get one now :like:

A killer chiller sounds very interesting honestly. So from what I understand, it's a box in the back that has a line from the heat exchanger and a scavenge pump sends it back to the intercooler? Basically making the loop larger? I'm more interested in a bigger exchanger or a killer chiller for those times that I'm bringing out my inner ken block and ripping through some dirt or mud.

Man a video would be sweet cause I'm looking at getting one also

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Oh damn, I didn't know it was a 10-minute removal. That's making me a little more willing to get one now :like:

A killer chiller sounds very interesting honestly. So from what I understand, it's a box in the back that has a line from the heat exchanger and a scavenge pump sends it back to the intercooler? Basically making the loop larger? I'm more interested in a bigger exchanger or a killer chiller for those times that I'm bringing out my inner ken block and ripping through some dirt or mud.

Man a video would be sweet cause I'm looking at getting one also
The problem is the liquid to air heat exchanger is in the intake manifold so no room to make it much larger. But it is on a separate coolant loop.

So what you can do:

1) Better fluid cooler that has more cooling capacity to keep the coolant temp lower/recover faster which will mean lower IAT's.
2) Reservoir with more capacity to bring down coolant temp.

The killer chiller does the same as #1 but instead of using airflow to cool the fluid it uses the existing AC system to super-cool it. As a benefit it can be mounted outside of the air-flow and anywhere close to the AC system as you don't want super long lines going everywhere.

So AC system cools the coolant that then goes to the liquid to air heat exchanger to cool the intake air.
Sponsored