Super simple way to disable stop-start

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
I am genuinely curious as to why there's so much hate surrounding the ESS system. It doesn't bother me at all. Maybe it's because I have a manual transmission which allows me to control when the engine stops and when it doesn't.

Two ways to disable ESS in a matter of seconds:
  1. Push the dang button.
  2. If you have a manual transmission, lightly tap the clutch and restart is instantaneous.
I'll add to this:

2a. Keep the clutch engaged and the engine will not stop. This is perfect for stop signs and short lights when you know you will be stopped for only a moment.

The engine starts so quickly that by the time I have the clutch in and the gear selected (from neutral) it's ready to go.

So why do so many people HATE the ESS system??
Sponsored

biggprikk

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I agree about just hitting the button but it’s not a simple one step process . when you hit the start button you can’t immediately hit the ESS button it won’t recognize that push until after it goes through all it’s checks after start up. So it’s hit the start button wait then hit the ESS button. I hate ESS. And I’m leaning towards getting that fix that leaves it in default “off” it seems like a very rational idea.
So cant you hit off before you put it in gear?

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
So cant you hit off before you put it in gear?
No, I didn’t say anything about putting it into gear. Putting into gear has nothing to do with it. If you hit the start button and immediately hit the disable start stop button it will not take that command. You have to wait until it goes through all the checks on start up then it will except the command.

biggprikk

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
No, I didn’t say anything about putting it into gear. Putting into gear has nothing to do with it. If you hit the start button and immediately hit the disable start stop button it will not take that command. You have to wait until it goes through all the checks on start up then it will except the command.
So can you push the off button after the system checks are over? Is it then disabled?

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
You can also stop at a light. Engine stops, keep foot on the brake and hit the disable button and it restarts.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Read post #30-

It becomes natural and no THOUGHT REQUIRED !

JIMBO
So can you push the off button after the system checks are over? Is it then disabled?

bobUK

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Merc
Disconnect negative rail battery sensor on starter battery, no warning lights, no stop/start and a fully charged battery at all times, win win.

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
Disconnect negative rail battery sensor on starter battery, no warning lights, no stop/start and a fully charged battery at all times, win win.
Do you actually have a Wrangler JL? This causes an ESS fault light on the dash and sets two ECU fault codes (but not a check engine light).

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
If you have the automatic transmission you can go to manual mode and that disables it. I drive around most of the time this way and enjoy it, no clutching necessary!

Sponsored

bobUK

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Merc
Do you actually have a Wrangler JL? This causes an ESS fault light on the dash and sets two ECU fault codes (but not a check engine light).
No I have a Merc and it leaves the Stop/start symbol on the dash crossed through, on my SLK the symbol goes out, that's it, as far as hidden fault codes, so what, they are only codes informing the owner that the sensor has failed, they are not important otherwise an ECM would be displayed. The systems are similar on all modern cars and the sensors primary function is to ensure there is enough charge in the starter battery to re start vehicle after a stop start initiation. My Dec 2011 Merc blueefficiency with stop/start has been running for the last 6 months with the sensor disconnected, the battery is original, I have had NO issues.

I saw this discussion and thought it would be enlightening to pass on my knowledge regarding stop/start.

The other thing the sensor does is it provides the SOC of the battery to the ECU which then controls the voltage out of the alternator with the intension of only allowing the alternator to charge the battery when it ( the EMU) considers it necessary. This means the main starter battery is rarely fully charged, that is the main cause why drivers are complaining of flat batteries, disconnect the sensor and the alternator will then charge as it did pre stop/start, try it and you will observe a continuous charging voltage of between 13.8 to 14.3 volts a standard charge, let me know if this information is incorrect.

Quote Here's the excerpt from JD Power's report that really got our attention:

New to the top 10 list of problems reported in 2017 is battery failure. In fact, 44% more owners report a battery failure this year than in 2016. Batteries are the most frequently replaced component not related to normal wear and tear in three-year-old vehicles at 6.1%—up 1.3 percentage points from 2016. Quote.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgor...ers-are-having-battery-problems/#158a1566323c

I have been driving for over 50 years and never had an issue with batteries prior to stop/start and smart charging, all in the misguided assumption that CO2 will destroy the planet.

Last edited:

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
No I have a Merc and it leaves the Stop/start symbol on the dash crossed through, on my SLK the symbol goes out, that's it, as far as hidden fault codes, so what, they are only codes informing the owner that the sensor has failed, they are not important otherwise an ECM would be displayed. The systems are similar on all modern cars and the sensors primary function is to ensure there is enough charge in the starter battery to re start vehicle after a stop start initiation. My Dec 2011 Merc blueefficiency with stop/start has been running for the last 6 months with the sensor disconnected, the battery is original, I have had NO issues.

I saw this discussion and thought it would be enlightening to pass on my knowledge regarding stop/start.

The other thing the sensor does is it provides the SOC of the battery to the ECU which then controls the voltage out of the alternator with the intension of only allowing the alternator to charge the battery when it ( the EMU) considers it necessary. This means the main starter battery is rarely fully charged, that is the main cause why drivers are complaining of flat batteries, disconnect the sensor and the alternator will then charge as it did pre stop/start, try it and you will observe a continuous charging voltage of between 13.8 to 14.3 volts a standard charge, let me know if this information is incorrect.

Quote Here's the excerpt from JD Power's report that really got our attention:

New to the top 10 list of problems reported in 2017 is battery failure. In fact, 44% more owners report a battery failure this year than in 2016. Batteries are the most frequently replaced component not related to normal wear and tear in three-year-old vehicles at 6.1%—up 1.3 percentage points from 2016. Quote.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgor...ers-are-having-battery-problems/#158a1566323c

I have been driving for over 50 years and never had an issue with batteries prior to stop/start and smart charging, all in the misguided assumption that CO2 will destroy the planet.
I have designed auto stop overrides for over two dozen different vehicles.

While I agree that the basic principles of the systems are similar across most vehicles, it is very misleading to assume that what is is true for one make, model and even model year is true for all. The devil is in the details and the details of implementations on different vehicles vary, in some cases significantly.

Regarding the Wrangler JL, disconnecting the battery sensor causes an ESS fault light and two internal fault codes. Some drivers care about the fault light, others could care less. When you bring the vehicle in for warranty service even if you reconnect the sensor, the stored fault codes could a) send the service tech on a wild goose chase and b) cause a dealer to deny warranty service due to evidence of tampering once they figure out what you are doing. As far as battery charge maintenance, I do not have knowledge whether your assumption is correct or not on the JL, but I have seen differing levels of involvement of the battery sensor across different make/model vehicles.

I do agree with you that ESS systems are in general causing shorter battery life-cycles.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
@bobUK

Your post interests me greatly. My first thought is if doing what you suggest (giving the main starter battery a more traditional 13.8-14.3 volts) could damage the battery, or if the battery is just like the ones we’ve been using all these years and it would benefit from being treated as such instead of being subjected to adaptive charging.

And as @SmartStopStart.com points out this will throw codes. Can these be cleared before taking the jeep in for service with a Tazer or OBD2 tool?

You know what? I’m not going to worry about it till I come out of warranty. Hopefully by then we’ll have a solid handle of this ESS system and won’t have to worry about being stranded on a trail with “Service Auto Start / Stop” errors.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I am genuinely curious as to why there's so much hate surrounding the ESS system. It doesn't bother me at all. Maybe it's because I have a manual transmission which allows me to control when the engine stops and when it doesn't.

I'll add to this:

2a. Keep the clutch engaged and the engine will not stop. This is perfect for stop signs and short lights when you know you will be stopped for only a moment.

The engine starts so quickly that by the time I have the clutch in and the gear selected (from neutral) it's ready to go.

So why do so many people HATE the ESS system??
Hi Mrhumble. My friend I will tell you why I hate it. I plan to keep my Jeep for a long time and I can’t see how it’s good for your engine when you allow that hot thinned out oil to drop back down into the oil pan 100 times a day, only to be pumped up to the top of the engine again. I believe the pro ess people are going to experience more worn valves, push rods, lifters etc. sooner than us button pushers. Just my opinion! Also if I’m right and your engine wears out 5 or 10 years sooner then you can go buy a new car 5 or 10 years sooner. That’s a win win for these car companies.

Last edited:

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
No disrespect for your information but that is kind of a hack to put it nicely.. I would rather push the button than live with the side effects.

On another note the best solution in my opinion is this neat little device - https://www.smartstopstart.com/

It plain works.. Doesn't hog the OBD2 port and no ill effects like others. It will also set any way you like. Meaning.. if you want to keep ESS enabled just push the button again.

Super simple install and no dangling wires. I could not be happier with mine.

If you spend this kind of $ on a Nice Jeep this is a peanut in cost if you desire to have the ESS an option on the go.
I will definitely buy one of these. I hate the ESS-Start/Stop option. Annoying as heck!!!
Sponsored