Super simple way to disable stop-start

camprats

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4-door Rubicon
Disable stop-start in less than a minute without programming or cutting.

Squeeze the clips (red arrows) holding the outboard hood sensor in the holder. Lift the sensor up out of the holder and use a tie wrap to hold it from flopping around.

"Service stop-start" will show for a few seconds after starting the engine. The letter "A" in a circle will always be lighted in the dash display. No other problems. Enjoy freedom from stop-start!

e-dsc06962_orig.jpg
Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
or purchase the button when you start problem solved without the constant warnings. or better yet get a Tazer

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I tried this. Had big screen splash warnings anytime I drove past 20ish mph.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@camprats

Very old news ... this has been posted here on the forum for months now.. over and over.

Sure it works if you want nag screens popping up on the evic.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
When I start my JLR-I push the "START BUTTON "TWICE, TO ARM" THE SYSTEM(you know needles go round and round)--

Then, with clutch down, I push the start button with my RIGHT index finger and my RIGHT LITTLE finger automatically pushes the ESS BUTTON-

In one FELL SWOOP !--it's natural, I don't have any dash (MALFUNCTIONS) AS RB says-and my ESS is OFF--

To push the start button is already a PITA, but there's not much we can do about that, so adding the ESS button into the movement isn't a problem-it doesn't take a ROCKET SCIENTIST--

W.W.

JIMBO

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Disable stop-start in less than a minute without programming or cutting.

Squeeze the clips (red arrows) holding the outboard hood sensor in the holder. Lift the sensor up out of the holder and use a tie wrap to hold it from flopping around.

"Service stop-start" will show for a few seconds after starting the engine. The letter "A" in a circle will always be lighted in the dash display. No other problems. Enjoy freedom from stop-start!

e-dsc06962_orig.jpg

No disrespect for your information but that is kind of a hack to put it nicely.. I would rather push the button than live with the side effects.

On another note the best solution in my opinion is this neat little device - https://www.smartstopstart.com/

It plain works.. Doesn't hog the OBD2 port and no ill effects like others. It will also set any way you like. Meaning.. if you want to keep ESS enabled just push the button again.

Super simple install and no dangling wires. I could not be happier with mine.

If you spend this kind of $ on a Nice Jeep this is a peanut in cost if you desire to have the ESS an option on the go.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Two ways to disable ESS in a matter of seconds:
  1. Push the dang button.
  2. If you have a manual transmission, lightly tap the clutch and restart is instantaneous.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Sry, don't have my JL yet, what is this button that needs to be pushed?

Sponsored

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Sry, don't have my JL yet, what is this button that needs to be pushed?
If you come to a stop the engine will shutdown.. pushing the ESS button prevents it but you have to do it every time you restart the vehicle. There is no memory unless you use the smart start stop device (see my post above) or another like method such as the Tazer which hogs the OBD2 port all the time.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@blnewt

ESS is not my cup of tea so to speak. It is especially irritating at times..

And yes, you have to push the ESS button each and every time you start the JL unless you have an aftermarket device to turn it off or have done some type of hack that disables it. Unfortunately, the hacks cause a warning light on the dash..

So, indeed an aftermarket device, for some would be a welcome Xmas present. 8-)

For the record:
The older, original Tazer JL programmer, does hog the OBDll port but only if you want "Live Features"... but otherwise you do not need to leave the Tazer JL plugged into the OBDll port. With the new Tazer JL Mini, there is no use of the OBDll port at all.

For someone that just wants to disable ESS on a JL, a full blown programmer is overkill, and $ foolish, lets say..

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Thanks for the replies guys, probably just deal w/ the ESS button pushing, probably just become second nature after awhile, like ignoring my TPMS light on my Infiniti :)

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Thanks for the replies guys, probably just deal w/ the ESS button pushing, probably just become second nature after awhile, like ignoring my TPMS light on my Infiniti :)
Welcome.. How we all learn. It is really not that big of a deal.. Especially not to do some hack with dash lights on. Everyone has their own preferences. Do what suits you the best. Just do make a habit of it. This "feature" is really not good for the engine and starter to save such little fuel (if any). A true hybrid is a different story and designed for that.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
You have to PUSH THE START BUTTON every time you want to/need to start the jeep, why not make the START/ESS button a ONE PUSH movement

I'm notta ROCKET SCIENTIST, but that's the way I doit--AND IT'S NATURAL !

W.E.

JIMBO
Sponsored