Sponsored

Super simple way to disable stop-start

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Thanks for the replies guys, probably just deal w/ the ESS button pushing, probably just become second nature after awhile, like ignoring my TPMS light on my Infiniti :)
FYI since you don't have yours yet, there are some conditions where ESS will not operate, such as the engine has to be warmed up (so you don't have to worry about cycling a cold engine), I think if the AC is on full blast it won't operate either. I've only had mine a couple weeks, I plan on just using the button, its not that big of a deal, sort of like starting the Jeep or changing a radio station. The button isn't hidden or hard to find, its right there on the dash. I would prefer it remembered that I want it disabled, but not a huge deal. I don't find its operation too bad, it responds pretty quickly, I just prefer to minimize engine starts.
Sponsored

stolleee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited, 1970 Toyota FJ40, 2017 MB GLC300, 2017 Impreza Subaru
The manufacture has to put this feature in a vehicle these days because of federal mandates related to CAFE standards. Its the only way they collectively can achieve MPG targets in total. Its about balancing the standard otherwise they would decrease the engine foot print or reduce the amount of vehicles manufactured that are lower than the standard which you also wouldnt like. Ladies and gentlemen.... this is the beginning of the end...

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Don't be LAZY push the button. No different than turning on a light switch, flushing the toilet. Picking up a TV remote
This is just funny how something so simple bothers people and most don't know why.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@smithrd65 Don't want to hear your take on home automation, Alexa, etc..

I'm hitting 70 and one of my passions lets say is automation.

And this means that I do not want to press the ESS button, so.........

I have not touched a light switch at any of my digs in a about 4 years.

I just say, Alexa, turn on xxx or turn off xxx. She adjusts the thermostat, runs the Microwave, and more and more.......

I even have an Alexa in the garages at each residence.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
@smithrd65 Don't want to hear your take on home automation, Alexa, etc..

I'm hitting 70 and one of my passions lets say is automation.

And this means that I do not want to press the ESS button, so.........

I have not touched a light switch at any of my digs in a about 4 years.

I just say, Alexa, turn on xxx or turn off xxx. She adjusts the thermostat, runs the Microwave, and more and more.......

I even have an Alexa in the garages at each residence.

LOL.. I have Alexa in my garage/basement area also.. :) .. There is not a area in my home you can not speak the lights, doors, thermostat or Sonos system.

My pets (3 dogs) even let themselves in & out all day through 2 sliding doors and at night the program even turns the outside light on for them for 5 min. I can even operate them from my phone anywhere in the world..

I'm with ya!

Sorry.. back on topic.

Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Alexa
LOL.. I have Alexa in my garage/basement area also.. :) .. There is not a area in my home you can not speak the lights, doors, thermostat or Sonos system.

My pets (3 dogs) even let themselves in & out all day through 2 sliding doors and at night the program even turns the outside light on for them for 5 min. I can even operate them from my phone anywhere in the world..

I'm with ya!

Sorry.. back on topic.
Alexa want flush your toilet.
Put on you shoes, take a leak. I have Alexa and I still don't mind pushing a button that is inches away from me.
And I'm a active 50 year old Retired military.
Push a button role down your windows or use the crank all requires movement.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Alexa

Alexa want flush your toilet.
Put on you shoes, take a leak. I have Alexa and I still don't mind pushing a button that is inches away from me.
And I'm a active 50 year old Retired military.
Push a button role down your windows or use the crank all requires movement.
I do realize some folks are not into this kind of thing and to each his own.. pushing a button is not a big deal to me either but why do it if you don't have to every time? Not a deal breaker for me.. still bought the Wrangler knowing this.

But since you mentioned it .. yes.. Alexa can flush your toilet should you desire. We are the age where there is not much that can't be done with enough ingenuity. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alexa-FLUS...142661703919?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Sorry.. I promise.. I'll stay on topic and move on.

Last edited:

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Or.. just don’t step on the brake pedal to the floor, and just lightly tap it just enough to hold the vehicle in place. I never push the button and I disengage ESS whenever I want with my foot, during long congestions I step down hard and engage ESS to reduce idle wear, on regular red lights, just light tap and go, super convenient.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@BrntWS6
@Arterius2

Indeed, ESS is as you both mention. Indeed, quite easy to dictate to, by the amount of brake pedal pressure you apply/use. Yes, "no big deal"

With that said, there are those that just don't want to have to press a button to disable it when they do not want ESS in an operative state.

I have no qualms with the guy / gal that either loves to push the button or those that hate pushing the ESS button.

I could care less if a guy/gal has a Salt Life decal on his/her JL's window. It is personal preference ....

Fortunately, for those that want the ESS button push automated lets say,... (personal preference) they can install either a SmartStopStart, ESS disabler or a Tazer JL programmer which will also disable ESS automatically and remember the button's last state.

hotttdogggg

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Disable stop-start in less than a minute without programming or cutting.

Squeeze the clips (red arrows) holding the outboard hood sensor in the holder. Lift the sensor up out of the holder and use a tie wrap to hold it from flopping around.

"Service stop-start" will show for a few seconds after starting the engine. The letter "A" in a circle will always be lighted in the dash display. No other problems. Enjoy freedom from stop-start!

e-dsc06962_orig.jpg
Hit the button!! Geezus.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
I agree about just hitting the button but it’s not a simple one step process . when you hit the start button you can’t immediately hit the ESS button it won’t recognize that push until after it goes through all it’s checks after start up. So it’s hit the start button wait then hit the ESS button. I hate ESS. And I’m leaning towards getting that fix that leaves it in default “off” it seems like a very rational idea.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Haha.. these are funny.. I still get the thread alerts and I have to remember what ESS is and come visit the thread. smartstopstart all the way is all I can say.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Just like the old IGN keys--insert turn/backoff--

Here's How I'm trained/photographic sequence for the JLR--

Touch IGN button TWICE--TO ARM SYSTEM/ THEN THE RIGHT INDEX FINGER ON IGN BUTTON and PINKY ON ESS BUTTON--PUSH ONE TIME !

Simple automatic and no WEIRD DASH ALARMS--NO ESS--DRIVE

W.E.

JIMBO
Sponsored