Sponsored

Stuck Door Hinge Bolt Issue

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
After looking at mine I think the problem is the inside of the bolt is painted and the bit is not seating fully. Makes it look nice but if you need to remove it at any point its going to look like shit when your done. Need to tap the T50 bit in fully with a hammer and push the paint out.

How in the world did you fit a T-55 in there, blow torch and sledge hammer?
Sponsored

Last edited:

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
So, I got two Kargo Master Door Steps in that I am fitting to the rear doors on my JLU Sport.

Working on the first upper hinge bolt, it took some effort but eventually came loose.

Moving on to the second bolt on the upper hinge (drivers side btw) I have not been able to get it to budge.

20180516_182521.jpg

Methods tried:
1. Normal socket + T50: this ran a danger of breaking the stock Jeep wrench so I used a step up to a 1/2 socket wrench. Still no go.

2. Big wrench plus steel pipe for leverage... no go. This ended up breaking the step up bit at the neck weld!

3. Impact wrench. This ended up bending the impact extension for the T50.

4. Big torque drill (image below), this ended up applying enough torque to unscrew the primary (replaceable) head of the drill hahaha!
20180516_182515.jpg

At this point I'm sort of at a loss as I have never encountered a bolt this stubborn... any ideas on what to do next?

I haven't tried applying any heat to the bolts yet, but wondering if I should just take them to a shop to see if their air tools have more power...

Thanks in advance.
Dude, toss the power tools that's insane.

Because bolts are painted lightly tap torx bit into bolt first to get snug fit. Gently but firmly lossen bolts by hand preferably with wrench that has a longer than shorter handle for leverage.

Those power tools make me cringe...easy does it boss

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Wow, it is a T-55 bit, another thread with a pic of a T-55 in the hinge bolt. There is a lot of paint on those bolt heads!

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
There's really no reason to get aggressive here, I challenge you to provide any proof at all that the correct size is not a T-55.
Ok, now you got me a little confused, could we find the part number for the t55 bolt from mopar to double check?

Google search isn’t showing anything for me.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The part number is 6512030AA if you want to dig around a bit, but at a glance, I don't see a detailed description of the part anywhere. Mopar has pretty weak descriptions of most hardware.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Ok, now you got me a little confused, could we find the part number for the t55 bolt from mopar to double check?

Google search isn’t showing anything for me.
There is literally a picture with a T55 inserted on this site. What else do you need?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Oh man, this is all my fault, I had a pile of bolts at the time I took that picture and the T-55 one is from the tailgate. Looks like they are indeed a different size.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Wow. If you look up the replacement bolts they are definitely T55. Have a great day.
This is definitely a problem, the drawings don't seem to be correct. Not sure what's going on exactly. I double checked, and my door bolts are definitely a T-50, but the tailgates are a T-55. The drawings (that I looked up) use the same part number for both the tailgate and the door. So, who fucking knows.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
This is definitely a problem, the drawings don't seem to be correct. Not sure what's going on exactly. I double checked, and my door bolts are definitely a T-50, but the tailgates are a T-55. The drawings (that I looked up) use the same part number for both the tailgate and the door. So, who fucking knows.
The doors are also T55, they probably just have a little more paint on them.

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
THE BOLTS ARE T55!!

however, I use flex bit B50 from Harbor Freight. A true bargain at only 68 cents each.

Because the bolts are painted i would def use the B50 torx bit.

The "B" series bits will swell up slightly with a few drops of water once in place on the bolt.

They are specifically engineered for freeing up painted bolts.

You could also go up to a K60 and with a heat gun add some heat and the bit will shrink into place.

Harbor Freight is by far the best quality and price for Jeep supplies. Highly recommend!!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
They're not even close. If it wasn't dark out, I'd go show you how significant the difference is. It's possible that there is a mix out there, who knows.

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
They're not even close. If it wasn't dark out, I'd go show you how significant the difference is. It's possible that there is a mix out there, who knows.
@mwilk012 they are def T55. Maybe little extra paint on your bolts but def size 55.

...And your phone has a flash or use a flashlight if to dark.

Post your pics please.
Sponsored