door hinge bolts - storage in cargo area

joshg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab, Tesla Model S P90DL, Audi R8 V10 Spyder 6MT
So it's great that Jeep gives us the little hardware storage holes in the cargo area to hold the door hinge bolts, but there are 8 holes, presumably for the door hinge bolts, but shouldn't they have given us 4 more holes to also hold the inside door check bolts (1 per door) that also have to be removed?

Before someone says "you can just put those back in where you removed it once the doors are off", I'll reply that the same could be said for the hardtop bolts or windshield bolts, yet they still give us storage for those pieces.

Just a minor annoyance, I know but still... I remove 12 bolts to take the doors off but there are 8 bolt storage slots for door hinge haredware.
Sponsored

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but pretty sure the instruction manual says to put the check bolts back in place, and donā€™t believe it says that for any other bolts with a placeholder in the cargo area.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I just put them in the storage holes for the windshield since I typically don't drive with it folded down

OP
OP
joshg

joshg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think the windshield bolts can be put back in place after you lower the windshield.
Ah... OK, you're probably right on that. My mistake. But the point still holds true that there should be holders for the check bolts.
I agree with you, btw. First time my doors came off I took everything to the back and was just standing their with the two door check bolts staring at the remaining holes thinking "what the hell am I going to do with these so I don't lose them?" I stood there for entirely too long before it occurred to me that I could put them back in place. It's not a big deal but I do find it annoying. Luckily with a cordless it's real quick to zip them on and off.
I was about to do the same but realized screwing them back in place, only to have to take them out again when I want to reinstall the doors, was just a hassle. So I put my door check bolts into the holes "reserved" for the windshield drop. So far I have no need to drop the windshield while having the top and doors off, so there are 4 "spare" holes there that can be used for the check bolts.

Iwantfullauto

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I just put them in the storage holes for the windshield since I typically don't drive with it folded down

This

Sponsored

OP
OP
joshg

joshg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but pretty sure the instruction manual says to put the check bolts back in place, and donā€™t believe it says that for any other bolts with a placeholder in the cargo area.
Hmmm... I don't believe so. Here is the relevant page from the manual, the only spot it mentions removing the check bolts, and it makes no mention of what to do with them when you've removed the doors. Possible I'm missing something elsewhere in the manual, but this would be the logical place for them to have made the recommendation if it were important... in this section about how to remove your doors.
Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 1.39.11 PM.png

OP
OP
joshg

joshg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you beat me to it... that's the solution I came up with also. While I HAVE dropped my windshield, so far I haven't needed to have doors off, roof off, and windshield down... but I look forward to some beach day when I'll do it!

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
You read the instructions?
Sponsored