James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
So, I got two Kargo Master Door Steps in that I am fitting to the rear doors on my JLU Sport.

Working on the first upper hinge bolt, it took some effort but eventually came loose.

Moving on to the second bolt on the upper hinge (drivers side btw) I have not been able to get it to budge.

20180516_182521.jpg

Methods tried:
1. Normal socket + T50: this ran a danger of breaking the stock Jeep wrench so I used a step up to a 1/2 socket wrench. Still no go.

2. Big wrench plus steel pipe for leverage... no go. This ended up breaking the step up bit at the neck weld!

3. Impact wrench. This ended up bending the impact extension for the T50.

4. Big torque drill (image below), this ended up applying enough torque to unscrew the primary (replaceable) head of the drill hahaha!
20180516_182515.jpg

At this point I'm sort of at a loss as I have never encountered a bolt this stubborn... any ideas on what to do next?

I haven't tried applying any heat to the bolts yet, but wondering if I should just take them to a shop to see if their air tools have more power...

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Magnetdragon

First Name
Erwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlu!!
Did you ever figure out a way to get it unstuck? I have one left on the driver's side door and I don't want to strip the bolt

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Go to dealer. This is what I suggest for pretty much any issue. The car is under complete warranty, make use of it.

You can probably get them to replace those stripped screws (I would) if they see the fault is with the vehicle.

Magnetdragon

First Name
Erwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlu!!
Go to dealer. This is what I suggest for pretty much any issue. The car is under complete warranty, make use of it.

You can probably get them to replace those stripped screws (I would) if they see the fault is with the vehicle.
My pride wouldn't let me do that just for a stuck bolt lol... I actually just tried hammering the torx bit to try and loosen the lock tight and then used a breaker bar and all my weight to break it and it worked!

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
My pride wouldn't let me do that just for a stuck bolt lol... I actually just tried hammering the torx bit to try and loosen the lock tight and then used a breaker bar and all my weight to break it and it worked!
I had the same issue removing my body/frame bolts to put on my after market rock sliders. I'm lucky that those bolts are hardened so didn't strip any even after my 700 ft/lb torque wrench failed to remove them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
redsyphon

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
My bolts got re-painted and I've let them be for the time being. I may have them done when I go next time, but the thought of paying for maintenance / dealing with dealer bull%#&t has kept me away from that option.

Glad it worked out for you. The only thing I have yet to try is direct heat to the bolt to loosen it...

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Is some degree of paint chipping on the bolts a given the first time they're removed? How is such damage minimized? Is the answer to take the rig to a Dealer to have the bolts removed and put back on like a frozen wiper blade? True, the steps come with their own bolts, but if I want to take the steps off, say for the winter and put the original bolts on...I'd prefer them not to look mangled.

At least you can buy a tool for that won't scratch things up.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Sure a dealer will do that for you-----at $100 bucks an hour--

There's nothing in the contract/warranty/recall/TSB sys that calls for voluntary door hinge removal--

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea, especially remove/install yearly--you're in for future problems/paint distress--

Whatever

JIMBO

joeyjoejoe285

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara - Granite Crystal Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same issue today with those bolts. I tried using a larger pipe on the socket wrench as a breaker bar and I unfortunately broke the T50 bit in the hinge bolt :swear: - any advice on what to do next? :facepalm:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You’re using the wrong bit. Stop trying to use the little tool kit provided by Jeep for anything other than EXACTLY what it says to use in the little paper instructions. They are very low quality, and inevitably the wrong size for any other job you are trying to do.

In the future, if you stick a torx bit in and it has ANY room at all to rattle around, it’s the wrong size.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

Yeah no. This is not a warranty issue. Do you have any idea what it takes to become a service tech at a dealer? It ain't much. I only go to the dealer for warranty items. Even then I cringe. Nobody will take better care of your rig than you.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
If you can get a small cut off wheel on the bolt and notch it for a large flat head it may work. Then use an adapter for your socket wrench. Not sure if you can buy the bolts pre-painted or not.

2nd thread on this, i have noticed the OEM t-50 bit feels a little sloppy when i take the doors off.

joeyjoejoe285

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara - Granite Crystal Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
The instrutions provided by smittybuilt say to use a T50 - there was no room for it to "rattle" around at al. My issue is no longer the bit size, it's how to get the broken bit out.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The instrutions provided by smittybuilt say to use a T50 - there was no room for it to "rattle" around at al. My issue is no longer the bit size, it's how to get the broken bit out.
Well Smittybuilt, there's your problem. They are wrong.
Sponsored