Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My 2018 JLUR's cargo area is getting a bit crowded with the various tools and accessories that I like to carry. I have looked at a few of the aftermarket drawer/shelf/storage solutions that are out there, but either the price tag is too much (ARB) or the functionality is not what I'm looking for. As a result, I am toying with the idea of building my own.

Today, I took a few pieces of cardboard, some tape, my knife, and a tape measure and set about building template of what I want. Here is a pic of what I've come up with so far -

Jeep Wrangler JL Storage space/shelf in cargo compartment IMG_1325

I am thinking about 10" high and with a hinged top and hydraulic pistons on each side to hold it up when opened. I have left a space on the passenger side for the sub-woofer and notched it on the drivers side to wrap around the roll bar housing. Right now my plan is construct the sides with 1 x 10 lumber using right angle brackets to secure all the side and then make the top with particle board. I would then cover all the sides and top with automotive carpeting material. I am unsure if I will leave the existing carpeting floor panel and lift up access to the under-floor cargo area or if I will unbolt all the carpet and tie-down pieces and let that extra storage space simply be available from the lift up lid.

I'm posting this for several reasons. If anyone knows of an affordable aftermarket solution that does pretty much the same thing, speak up. Or, if anyone has any thoughts or ideas on constructing this thing, speak up I'd love to hear your ideas.
Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
I do have one recommendation. First off, it sounds like you have a good doable plan. Years ago I build a platform / box for a contained subwoofer box to rest in and have space under the platform for some storage. I put this in the back of an Chevy S10 blazer. That unit was only in my vehicle part time. The rest of the time the space was taken up by a fairly large dog kennel. At that time I was involved with dog obedience training and I traveled a good amount with my at least one dog.

I explained all of this to help you consider all of your uses, and possibly even future.....So here is my recommendations.

1. Build into you cabinet / box handles that allow you to easily remove / carry the unit if it is to remain intact.
2. With some of the intricate conditions inside the back of the Jeep they you plan to build around, you may want to consider having the ability to easily disassemble the box for easy removal. I know this sounds to contradict my previous comment but you would possibly want to put the box back together for storage when not in use in your Jeep.

Just my $0.02. Good luck. You may want to keep a parts list and develop plans for it. Who knows possibly some would be interested in building one themselves. I for one am interested. Please post pics of the project.

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I do have one recommendation. First off, it sounds like you have a good doable plan. Years ago I build a platform / box for a contained subwoofer box to rest in and have space under the platform for some storage. I put this in the back of an Chevy S10 blazer. That unit was only in my vehicle part time. The rest of the time the space was taken up by a fairly large dog kennel. At that time I was involved with dog obedience training and I traveled a good amount with my at least one dog.

I explained all of this to help you consider all of your uses, and possibly even future.....So here is my recommendations.

1. Build into you cabinet / box handles that allow you to easily remove / carry the unit if it is to remain intact.
2. With some of the intricate conditions inside the back of the Jeep they you plan to build around, you may want to consider having the ability to easily disassemble the box for easy removal. I know this sounds to contradict my previous comment but you would possibly want to put the box back together for storage when not in use in your Jeep.

Just my $0.02. Good luck. You may want to keep a parts list and develop plans for it. Who knows possibly some would be interested in building one themselves. I for one am interested. Please post pics of the project.
Actually, the idea of making it "removable" i.e. able to be easily removed makes a lot of of sense and wasn't in my original thinking......but it is now.... Thanks!

BadWolf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Sarge Green)
My 2018 JLUR's cargo area is getting a bit crowded with the various tools and accessories that I like to carry. I have looked at a few of the aftermarket drawer/shelf/storage solutions that are out there, but either the price tag is too much (ARB) or the functionality is not what I'm looking for. As a result, I am toying with the idea of building my own.

Today, I took a few pieces of cardboard, some tape, my knife, and a tape measure and set about building template of what I want. Here is a pic of what I've come up with so far -

Jeep Wrangler JL Storage space/shelf in cargo compartment IMG_1325

I am thinking about 10" high and with a hinged top and hydraulic pistons on each side to hold it up when opened. I have left a space on the passenger side for the sub-woofer and notched it on the drivers side to wrap around the roll bar housing. Right now my plan is construct the sides with 1 x 10 lumber using right angle brackets to secure all the side and then make the top with particle board. I would then cover all the sides and top with automotive carpeting material. I am unsure if I will leave the existing carpeting floor panel and lift up access to the under-floor cargo area or if I will unbolt all the carpet and tie-down pieces and let that extra storage space simply be available from the lift up lid.

I'm posting this for several reasons. If anyone knows of an affordable aftermarket solution that does pretty much the same thing, speak up. Or, if anyone has any thoughts or ideas on constructing this thing, speak up I'd love to hear your ideas.
You might want to check out TrailRecon on youtube. Specifically, the following videos might give you some ideas:
"DIY Jeep Storage Platform & Dometic Drawer Fridge Review"
"Create Your Own Vehicle Storage System - Overland Build"
Sponsored