First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 2016 Pathfinder
Occupation
Civil Engineering Designer
"Stop/Start Not Ready-Battery Charging" Has anyone had this issue? I just recently started having this issue. I checked all the fuses to make sure they were seated properly and it went back to normal operation for a day and now the warning is back and ess stopped working again. I just got my jeep back from the dealer to get the steering worked on and the rear window defroster fixed so i don't really want to go back so soon if i don't have to. Any ideas?
Sponsored

OP
OP
JLJeepGuy513

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Did ya check the voltage of the battery?
NO NOT DIRECTLY TO BATTERY, IT SHOWS NORMAL VOLTAGE (14V) WHILE RUNNING. HOW DO I CHECK THE VOLTAGE OF THE SMALL BATTERY WITHOUT REMOVING EVERYTHING TO GET TO IT?

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
This is the ESS working as it is intended ... it shouldn’t function if there is not sufficient charge in the battery.

Sponsored

Bruc29

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Utility worker
Same happened To me and the same message when my Jeep died in the turning lane of a busy road, turned out to be bad batteries (main and aux) but when it finally died it blew the main fuse that connects to the side of fuse box with those lug connections so I had to replace that as well and everything has been all good since all 3 parts were changed

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Did ya check the voltage of the battery?

You have to take out the fuse panel, remove a cover, then you'll have access to the battery. Shouldn't take you more than say 40 minutes I'd get to get to it. I know this because I actually removed mine and replace it, along with the main battery with a genesis dual battery system. No more motorcycle battery for me!

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Mine was giving that message. Dealer replaced the auxiliary battery and problem solved.

OP
OP
JLJeepGuy513

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is the ESS working as it is intended ... it shouldn’t function if there is not sufficient charge in the battery.
No it is not working as intended... I have had this jeep for over a year and now this is a new issue that started a couple weeks ago. I understand how the system works, but i drive an hour each way too and from work. This is sufficient time to keep the battery charged unless there is an issue somewhere. I will dig in this weekend i guess to check the voltage of the small battery. I thought there may be an easier way to voltage test it! I cant believe the only way to test it is to remove the fuse box. Seems kinda like a pain in the rear. I know nothing about the genesis dual battery system but im going to look into it.

OP
OP
JLJeepGuy513

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mine was giving that message. Dealer replaced the auxiliary battery and problem solved.
yeah i might as well make another appointment..

Sponsored

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
When driving, check your battery voltage on the instrument panel:

Around 14 volts when accelerating battery is probably dead

Less than 13.5 volts when accelerating battery is fine and charged

If you have high voltage when running it means the alternator is working over time... the only time it should read high voltage is while coasting.

OP
OP
JLJeepGuy513

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
When driving, check your battery voltage on the instrument panel:

Around 14 volts when accelerating battery is probably dead

Less than 13.5 volts when accelerating battery is fine and charged

If you have high voltage when running it means the alternator is working over time... the only time it should read high voltage is while coasting.
Awesome thanks! I do believe its at around 14 while accelerating. ill double check when i leave work.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
No it is not working as intended... I have had this jeep for over a year and now this is a new issue that started a couple weeks ago. I understand how the system works, but i drive an hour each way too and from work. This is sufficient time to keep the battery charged unless there is an issue somewhere. I will dig in this weekend i guess to check the voltage of the small battery. I thought there may be an easier way to voltage test it! I cant believe the only way to test it is to remove the fuse box. Seems kinda like a pain in the rear. I know nothing about the genesis dual battery system but im going to look into it.
Sounds like the same issue I had about 4-5 months ago. I had my jeep since Oct 2018 and in Feb or March that problem started happening. I Took it back to the dealer, they replaced the ESS battery and everything has been fine since. I think some of the batteries may have been bad. Get it replaced.

OP
OP
JLJeepGuy513

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sounds like the same issue I had about 4-5 months ago. I had my jeep since Oct 2018 and in Feb or March that problem started happening. I Took it back to the dealer, they replaced the ESS battery and everything has been fine since. I think some of the batteries may have been bad. Get it replaced.
Will do! thanks !!

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
Had this issue. Bad small battery. Since they are wired in parallel when the jeep is off, the small battery eventually killed the big battery. Dealer replaced both under warranty.
Sponsored