Sponsored

STOLEN TAIL LIGHT

3illy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Granite Crystal Metalic, 2013 Harley Davidson FXDF
People suck! THIS is exactly why I have the Owl cam on my Jeep.
Couple questions regarding your Owl if you don't mind? Is it always on with motion detection activation? How effective is the rear facing camera at night - specially considering most hard top windows are tinted?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
damn i guess they broke theirs and too cheap to buy one

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@Neanderthalman

So, the ripped off tail light as you call it, rips off and the ripped off tail light is not damaged in the process?
It's a little difficult to describe.

Basically the taillight is two distinct pieces - the outer visible piece, and an interior "cone" that extends upward to the nylon retaining bolt. These two components are bolted together with three or four small screws on the back of the tail light, then the assembly is inserted into the body of the jeep and secured with the retaining bolt from inside the cargo area..

When my taillight got hooked, the interior "cone" piece snapped in half, and the exterior visible taillight was completely undamaged. I tried some glues to piece together the "cone", but nothing stuck, so the bastard is electrical taped like a mummy. Holding fine, hidden from view and protected from the elements. Good enough for now. I might try again with some different glues when warm weather returns in a few months. For now I'm not doing anything outside that isn't absolutely necessary.

Newfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jl, 07 Ram 3500, 13 CRV
Sorry to see this. I hope karma catches up with the low life who did this. Wow, $760 for the light is steep. How did they un-bolt it? Was your top off?

Unfortunately Wranglers are easy targets. Installing a hood lock is mandatory in urban areas. The lack of a hood lock makes it too easy and tempting for thieves. It's not uncommon for entire hoods, batteries, catalytic converters, spare tires, soft tops parts to be stolen. In Chicago you can't even think of having a soft top on because someone will either steal it or slash it to steal something inside.
Had the same thing happen in NYC about 30 years ago, ripped the top, stole everything inside Jeep.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
It's a little difficult to describe.

Basically the taillight is two distinct pieces - the outer visible piece, and an interior "cone" that extends upward to the nylon retaining bolt. These two components are bolted together with three or four small screws on the back of the tail light, then the assembly is inserted into the body of the jeep and secured with the retaining bolt from inside the cargo area..

When my taillight got hooked, the interior "cone" piece snapped in half, and the exterior visible taillight was completely undamaged. I tried some glues to piece together the "cone", but nothing stuck, so the bastard is electrical taped like a mummy. Holding fine, hidden from view and protected from the elements. Good enough for now. I might try again with some different glues when warm weather returns in a few months. For now I'm not doing anything outside that isn't absolutely necessary.
@Neanderthalman

Your description was very clear. Thanks for taking the time to provide.

Sponsored

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Sorry that happened but not surprised. Send the bill to Bill de Blasio with pictures and a note thanking him for his pioneering progressive policies that make these things possible. I'm in the same boat here in Comifornia, we are paying for their healthcare too! Sorry for your loss.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
People have no respect for other's property!!!

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
I’m from ny and want to get a wrangler. What area of nyc did this happen in?

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
New JL tail lights may be the latest thieving trend. Easy to steal and pricey part. I suppose changing the bolts to something not so commonly used will help.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
New JL tail lights may be the latest thieving trend. Easy to steal and pricey part. I suppose changing the bolts to something not so commonly used will help.
@Jeeptimus Prime

No, "changing the bolts" is not an option. It is a single plastic bolt that holds the JL, tail light in the cavity. Even if you changed that plastic bolt to tail light can still be broken loose.

YOU might want to consider get Bumblebee to watch over your JL, 24 hrs a day, if you ever venture into New York City with it.

Sponsored

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
Unfortunately happens in NYC all the time - I park my JLUR in a garage, took 5+ years to find a garage where I trust the guys that work there not to bump into other things etc. Even then, still worry about damage, theft, etc.

The irony in all of this is paying almost $600 monthly for the space...

trail_runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Forester XT Touring, 2019 Granite Crystal Metallic JLUR
@Jeeptimus Prime

No, "changing the bolts" is not an option. It is a single plastic bolt that holds the JL, tail light in the cavity. Even if you changed that plastic bolt to tail light can still be broken loose.

YOU might want to consider get Bumblebee to watch over your JL, 24 hrs a day, if you ever venture into New York City with it.
Here's the Bumblebee bad boy who will watch over your JL (my wallpaper on my iphone):
upload_2019-1-31_8-50-31.jpeg