Not open for further replies.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I think I've made up my mind that I am ordering Sting Grey after todays events!

In honor of that, I present you the first in a series of color specific designs for the JL:

stinggrey1.png
My only problem is that you chose to use a Manta ray, which, as any self-respecting marine biologist could tell you, is black on the top and white (and maybe liiiiight gray) on the bottom, as it is a pelagic mid-to-upper-column feeder which uses the top side for warmth and the bottom side for camo from beneath. As other bottom dwelling rays need camo from above, the flat, dusky gray on their top sides serves them better, and matches the color scheme more accurately. Additionally, a Manta has no hard "stinger" to use as a defensive mechanism, and therefore does not qualify as a stingray. Perhaps the Southern or the smooth stingrays would be a better choice...

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Chalk me up as someone who just doesn't "get it" when it comes to Sting Gray. I can't imagine why on earth anyone would want this color? Flat, boring as hell, makes the lines of the jeep look pedestrian.....am I the only one? I saw a charger the other day rocking a similar color (probably same paint code)...looked absolutely terrible. Why on earth would anyone get this when Granite Crystal is available?

Like I said..maybe I'm alone..but I absolutely hate this color and wish it didnt exist to ruin the image of jeeps.
I hear ya. Only 5 guys out of 10 admit to wanting to bang my wife, but, hey, here I am...

Sponsored

River City Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.RiverCityOffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Triple White - RK 3.5" X-Factor Stage 1 / Steer Smarts / Mickey Thompson / Fuel
Occupation
Owner at River City Offroad
My only problem is that you chose to use a Manta ray, which, as any self-respecting marine biologist could tell you, is black on the top and white (and maybe liiiiight gray) on the bottom, as it is a pelagic mid-to-upper-column feeder which uses the top side for warmth and the bottom side for camo from beneath. As other bottom dwelling rays need camo from above, the flat, dusky gray on their top sides serves them better, and matches the color scheme more accurately. Additionally, a Manta has no hard "stinger" to use as a defensive mechanism, and therefore does not qualify as a stingray. Perhaps the Southern or the smooth stingrays would be a better choice...
...... LMAO! I thought you were dead ass serious until I saw your other responses in the thread. High five. lol

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
...... LMAO! I thought you were dead ass serious until I saw your other responses in the thread. High five. lol
Well, I was kinda serious...I mean I would never (being a nerd-geek-marine sci enthusiast) buy a decal that said "Sting Gray" if it had a non-stingray Manta on it. That would be soooooo embarrassing. Like driving a Subaru...

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
:like:
I think I've made up my mind that I am ordering Sting Grey after todays events!

In honor of that, I present you the first in a series of color specific designs for the JL:

stinggrey1.png
Great graphic design. Very creative :like:

Jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR StingGray
Nope, you aren't alone. There are plenty of jealous, petty, insecure people out there that feel the exact same way.
Lol awesome.
Never intended on defending RRs but the other guy made a snide remark, so it is what it is.

On capability....maybe the Rubicon because of the front locker. But it's hard to imagine the RR not being able to handle what the JL can...especially with a set of KM2s. (exception is huge rocks....only cause no removable bumper end caps)
-510HP V8
-Rear locking diff
-Computer controlled sway bar disconnect
-Adjustable height suspension
-33.4" Water wade depth (Beats JL)
etc

I'm a former JK owner...I've had the RR on a 39 degree side tilt and driven though serious rivers....the RR has all the capability...problem is I don't want to scratch it so thinking of picking up a rubi for off road duty.
Hmm sounds like I may not be the insecure one?

Welcome to the forum. Let me make a suggestion, for your first contribution maybe don’t go into a specific color’s post and say it is a disgrace to Jeeps and should never have been made. Expressing an opinion is one thing, but being a dick about it is another.

Sponsored

Respo

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Google image destroyer gray or ceramic gray. They look very different in different light. I think it's the same color.
I get that it’s the same paint code, but ceramic actually looks darker. People said same with ocean blue and the Chrysler version...same code yet color is different. That’s what I’m referring to, yet I HOPE it really looks like that Chrysler in real life

vintage38

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
4830152F-9A93-4996-8095-068404AC4618.jpeg
FA614D02-2A09-4D35-A3CB-2028F521ABB7.jpeg
49732897-AEBC-4CD5-89CC-00B6012077D6.jpeg
74F1B60D-9E70-424A-88F8-6AB74E1B6338.jpeg
D70EAC2D-6894-40EB-853A-1524EA10CE7C.jpeg
4DF0B40A-EAF6-41CA-AAF8-D874FCE35656.jpeg
Felt we needed another boost and elongated my trip home...
Perfection ! Now all iI need is a Color match top and I'm good to order.

aqualung

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep JKU
Google image destroyer gray or ceramic gray. They look very different in different light. I think it's the same color.
I get that it’s the same paint code, but ceramic actually looks darker. People said same with ocean blue and the Chrysler version...same code yet color is different. That’s what I’m referring to, yet I HOPE it really looks like that Chrysler in real life
Great after watching that video,now I have color remorse....

vintage38

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Chalk me up as someone who just doesn't "get it" when it comes to Sting Gray. I can't imagine why on earth anyone would want this color? Flat, boring as hell, makes the lines of the jeep look pedestrian.....am I the only one? I saw a charger the other day rocking a similar color (probably same paint code)...looked absolutely terrible. Why on earth would anyone get this when Granite Crystal is available?

Like I said..maybe I'm alone..but I absolutely hate this color and wish it didnt exist to ruin the image of jeeps.
Sorry to hear you don't like the new color. I happen to LOVE IT! Looks like you won't be in the Sting Gray Club. May I ask what fabulous color you ended up choosing.
100754.jpeg
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.