OP

JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
If you've driven that long and it hasnt gotten any worse, I think it may be simply the way a jeep drives. A Jeep takes a bump MUCH differently than " regular" suv's or car's...especially hitting a bump at high speed(or low) while turning or on a winding road
I would intend to agree but even if it is my first, I have driven over 11000 KM's now, 80% is highway to work and it only started occurring within the last 2000, I do think its the start to the death wobble.. I'm gonna have to get it checked out.

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
I would intend to agree but even if it is my first, I have driven over 11000 KM's now, 80% is highway to work and it only started occurring within the last 2000, I do think its the start to the death wobble.. I'm gonna have to get it checked out.
YES, DEF GET IT CHECKED OUT! While your there make sure to ask them to check the suspension gas levels, sometimes the CO2 in the coils have to be recharged and resprung. Theres a simple way of testing this at home if you have the time..put your weight on the front bumper(sit or stand) and hop your weight on it, if the suspension diodes make a swishing sound then the rotors will need to be plugged in and reprogrammed as well. Good luck!!

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
YES, DEF GET IT CHECKED OUT! While your there make sure to ask them to check the suspension gas levels, sometimes the CO2 in the coils have to be recharged and resprung. Theres a simple way of testing this at home if you have the time..put your weight on the front bumper(sit or stand) and hop your weight on it, if the suspension diodes make a swishing sound then the rotors will need to be plugged in and reprogrammed as well. Good luck!!
Don’t forget to check the tail light fluid. I read on the internet that many Jeeps left the factory with low fluid.

Sponsored

Crisis

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl Rubicon unlimited
I brought my 2018 rubicon unlimited in yesterday and they said it’s unsafe to drive with death wabbel. It has 6000 on the odometer. They told me it was worn tie rods and track bars. I had the dealer install the 2” Mopar lift at 2000 miles. Still on stock tires and wheels. Now they say it will be 32 days till the parts come in to fix it. I hope I won’t have to replace tie rods and track bars with every oil change.

JoshCMH

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL MOJITO!
Same problem here. At 3 months old and 5000 miles, my 2018 JL started doing the same thing. It always happens at a specific highway speed--between 55-70 MPH when I hit certain expansion joints on the highway. I feel it in the wheel, and it oscillates throughout the front end of the vehicle. I have to slow down for it to stop. If I don't slow down, it escalates into a violent shimmy. My 2013 JK did the same thing at 4 years/60k miles, and they replaced worn ball joints and steering stabilizer. Neither vehicle had any mods. They've never even been off the road.

I'm working with the dealership now on troubleshooting my JL. Unfortunately they aren't able to reproduce the symptoms on their test drive, as it happens under only very specific circumstances. On inspection, they concluded that the components (track bar, ball joints, etc.) check out okay but that the "steering stabilizer has a dead spot where it takes 1/2 in before dampening." They're ordering a new steering stabilizer (which I know is oftentimes just a band-aid for this, but unfortunately based on my research the repairs on this problem seem to be a lot of trial and error).

At least there's a good deal of warranty time to investigate the issue, but it's ridiculous that we're having to deal with these issues on vehicles that are so young.

Last edited:

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
it's ridiculous that we're having to deal with these issues on vehicles that are so young.
No kidding ! At least you are near Toledo , and you can have it towed to the factory and drop it off .

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Don’t forget to check the tail light fluid. I read on the internet that many Jeeps left the factory with low fluid.
Synthetic blinker fluid, to be precise. Another cool mod is to inflate your tires with flubber gas.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I brought my 2018 rubicon unlimited in yesterday and they said it’s unsafe to drive with death wabbel. It has 6000 on the odometer. They told me it was worn tie rods and track bars. I had the dealer install the 2” Mopar lift at 2000 miles. Still on stock tires and wheels. Now they say it will be 32 days till the parts come in to fix it. I hope I won’t have to replace tie rods and track bars with every oil change.
Get under it and check for play in the track bar, drag link and tie rod.

Another member posted about back and forth play in the drag link.

You could take it to an independent Jeep shop to have it evaluated also.

Sponsored

Crisis

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl Rubicon unlimited
Get under it and check for play in the track bar, drag link and tie rod.

Another member posted about back and forth play in the drag link.

You could take it to an independent Jeep shop to have it evaluated also.
It’s at the dealership now, they said it’s unsafe to drive. I have to wait upto 32 days for parts to come in. Jeep will make 1 monthly payment for each month I can’t drive it. They have been great to work with. It’s unfortunate but they will get all the problems sorted out I’m sure. The people at my dealership are really great to work with and do everything they can to help me out couldn’t be happier for now.

Oldtimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Ltd
I’m definitely watching this thread. I have the same issue- driver side- left front pavement-dip near a water drain grate In the breakdown lane and the front shook vilontly and shuddered all the way to the back of the vehicle. I got it down to 55 and under control.

Today, a few weeks later, went over an expansion bridge at about 45 mph and i thought my wife was going to scream. Steering shook not nearly as bad, but enough to scare us both.

I’ll make an appointment on Monday and post the outcome..

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
the front shook vilontly and shuddered all the way to the back of the vehicle.
Possibly dangerous Low-Lemon ; call Mike Manley , CEO . Jeeps are not supposed to shake and shudder violently .

( My cat shook violently and shuddered all the way to her tail when she accidently licked a drop of lemon juice .)

Last edited:

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
It’s at the dealership now, they said it’s unsafe to drive. I have to wait upto 32 days for parts to come in. Jeep will make 1 monthly payment for each month I can’t drive it. They have been great to work with. It’s unfortunate but they will get all the problems sorted out I’m sure. The people at my dealership are really great to work with and do everything they can to help me out couldn’t be happier for now.
Was the dealer able to duplicate the death wobble?

Usually dealers say “can not duplicate” and send you home.

That’s great that the dealer is taking care of you.

Care to disclose the dealer? They may get some additional business from forum members.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Was the dealer able to duplicate the death wobble?

Usually dealers say “can not duplicate” and send you home.

That’s great that the dealer is taking care of you.

Care to disclose the dealer? They may get some additional business from forum members.
The dealer is on a very winding road next to a cliff over Lake Superior , lol . Steering problems proceed at their own risk , lol .
Sponsored