Sponsored

Steering Damper replacement recall - successful?

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
For y’all that had your V41 recall done, (steering damper replaced). Did the dealership also flash your pcm?

I replaced my steering damper way before the recall and my wandering issues and loose steering were unaffected. When I got the recall notice, I brought my 19jl rubicon to dealer and told them about the loose steering. Well, they flashed my pcm and I’ll be damned, my rig tracks straight, no wandering, and tight steering. No shit!
Thats fantastic !.My Allroad has a suspension / steering selection button. I can choose: offroad,comfort or dynamic. All electronic input. Dynamic makes the car feel like a go cart. I always assumed the Jeeps steering was a computer issue. I am going to get my PCM flashed. Thanks.
Sponsored

Tommy1569

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL unlimited sport s
Occupation
Delphi
Guy posted a YouTube Video stating that his U62 cruise control software flash fixed his wandering steering wheel.
I kinda believe this to be true after my Cruise Control recall done. Steering was a lot better but mechanics screwed up my steering alignment. Took it back and they fixed it. Still have a little play in it though.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I've had mine on for a week and a half and I can say I can really tell a difference. Now, personally, the previous steering play did not bother me. Hell, I even taught my daughter to drive and she used the JL to take her driver's license test (and passed). I've had my Jeep since Christmas, and when I picked it up after the recall I could tell a difference just driving in the parking lot! There's very little play in the steering, where as before I probably had a good 2-3 inches (an inch to inch and a half either side of center).

Am I happy with it? I guess so. I was fine before. Will it last? Meh, I'm not worried about it, honestly. If I don't like how it feels later, I'll just do as @Roky and others have done and go aftermarket. But nothing wrong with taking it to your dealer and see for yourself:like:
does not fix the core issue of the tuning forks with soft bushings. And you will feel the mush in high winds.

I got an after market one a year ago, its a great bandaid, but I know I will need a real trackbar and draglink. IF only FCA would really start doing the right things for customers.

The cheaper Steering stabilizer option (vs fixing core issue) will get them out of warranty range, and people will get to buy after market trackbars/drag link etc. later :/

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Just some info......I have Steersmarts YETI Track bar and I still got the steering wobble. Track bar helped tighten up front end a bit and helped on-center steering feel, but crosswinds are still a chore sometimes. V41 recall did fix any wobble I had.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Just some info......I have Steersmarts YETI Track bar and I still got the steering wobble. Track bar helped tighten up front end a bit and helped on-center steering feel, but crosswinds are still a chore sometimes. V41 recall did fix any wobble I had.
I would look play in your bushings other steering parts then, its not the steering stablizers job to keep hold the mess together.

I do agree while you are figuring it out the ss is working miracles, atleast until I get on bay bridge and the winds ripping off the pacific have me driving like a drunk sailor lol

Sponsored

Tommy1569

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL unlimited sport s
Occupation
Delphi
@PavementWarrior
Truly believe you're correct!
I think I'm gonna buy Tera Flex or Synergy
Tie rod
Track bar
Drag link

Tommy1569

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL unlimited sport s
Occupation
Delphi
Guy posted a YouTube Video stating that his U62 cruise control software flash fixed his wandering steering wheel.
I kinda believe this to be true after my Cruise Control recall done. Steering was a lot better but mechanics screwed up my steering alignment. Took it back and they fixed it. Still have a little play in it though.
I thought this was done but service lady said no?
I swear I brought it in for that

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
I got the alert mentioning I have a recall regarding fixing the Steering Damper.

I have a 2019 Moab. Yes, I used to experience a very unsteady & shaky drive when my tires PSI were high after I bought the car from the lot. Ever since bringing the PSI down, the steering has significantly improved. At high speeds 70mph+, it can get unsteady. But, I rarely ever exceed speeds of 70mph.

I’m not sure if I’ve just adapted to the “loose steering” of the JL, or if it just doesn’t even exist.

My question is, to those who got the steering damper recall, did it help?

Feedback on whether I should even bother getting the damper/stabilizer fixed?

Feedback is appreciated!
I had my damper replaced under the recall this Saturday. My Jeep steering was perfect, not a single issue so I was hesitant to let them do the recall. I just did it anyway as not to create any possible warranty issues later on. The steering is still perfect as It should be so all I can say is get it done, it is a Recall after all and you just never know.

Hwpx12

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I got the alert mentioning I have a recall regarding fixing the Steering Damper.

I have a 2019 Moab. Yes, I used to experience a very unsteady & shaky drive when my tires PSI were high after I bought the car from the lot. Ever since bringing the PSI down, the steering has significantly improved. At high speeds 70mph+, it can get unsteady. But, I rarely ever exceed speeds of 70mph.

I’m not sure if I’ve just adapted to the “loose steering” of the JL, or if it just doesn’t even exist.

Feedback is appreciated!

Hwpx12

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I had my damper replaced under the recall this Saturday. My Jeep steering was perfect, not a single issue so I was hesitant to let them do the recall. I just did it anyway as not to create any possible warranty issues later on. The steering is still perfect as It should be so all I can say is get it done, it is a Recall after all and you just never know.

Sponsored

Hwpx12

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

Feedback is appreciated!
Absolutely it helped. Honestly I wasn't sure I even had a problem. I was slightly loose over bumps at 50 mph but I figured it was a jeep thing. They replaced the damper a norristown jeep and it made a noticeable difference. The

dpowell5523

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I got the recall in the mail last week. I haven’t noticed or had problems with steering or wandering since I lowered my tire pressure to 37psi. I’ve had my Jeep for over a year and wondering if I need to have the recall done myself.
You said you lowered your tire pressure to 37 PSI, what were you running before?

Allen

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I got my 2019 Rubicon August 7, 2019 and the steering was loose and wandering the whole 600 miles I drove it home. Took it to the dealership and was told they could not replicate the issues.....and that I wasn’t part of the recall. They did bring the tires down to 37 psi from 47 psi and that helped so far...am hopeful overinflated tires wa the problem.

fourtotheside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
JLU Sport here. Definitely less wander. We'll see about the shimmy in the cold weather, but the difference in handling was noticeable right out the door.

Doctorit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Just another data point... Scheduled my V41 recall service last week, part was in-stock, dealer performed the swap this morning in ~1h. The steering was good before/as-delivered (as good as something on 32" AT tires can be) and feels equally as good now.
Sponsored