Sponsored

Steering CLUNK when very cold

brow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU
Hi there, well after 30,000 flawless KM's I am having some issues with my Jeep. 2 weeks ago I had the steering dampner replaced due to wobble at highway speeds when hitting bumps or expansion joints.
Now I am getting a pretty good clunk when turning or hitting a bump on the road. We have been hit with an extreme deep freeze for the past week, temps in the -30 to -40 degrees celcius range. I took the jeep back to the delaership as I thought It may be related to when the steering dampner was changed. They called me saying "could not duplicate" the issue. I went for a drive with the foreman and lo and behold it was not doing it! Looks like a morning in the warm shop cured my jeep. Of course it has been doing it ever since - being outside and really cold.
Is anyone else experiencing this? It is a pretty loud (as best I can describe) clunking noise, I actually even feel it under my left foot. I'm going to take it back on Monday - our deep freeze will continue for at least another week. I did download some dash cam footage too where I can clearly hear the clunking.
Sponsored

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Any update to this? Iā€™m experiencing something similar.
I had a similar issue after installing the nexus steering stabilizer. The joint attaching the tie rod was "clicking." Even when stationary, I could manually rotate and get the click. I tightened the bolts on both sides a bit from teraflex's recommended 120lb-ft, and that cleared it up...mostly :)

Petey003

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RAM TRX, 2018 JLUR, 1996 H1 Wagon
Occupation
Director of Commercial Operations (TWF)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi there, well after 30,000 flawless KM's I am having some issues with my Jeep. 2 weeks ago I had the steering dampner replaced due to wobble at highway speeds when hitting bumps or expansion joints.
Now I am getting a pretty good clunk when turning or hitting a bump on the road. We have been hit with an extreme deep freeze for the past week, temps in the -30 to -40 degrees celcius range. I took the jeep back to the delaership as I thought It may be related to when the steering dampner was changed. They called me saying "could not duplicate" the issue. I went for a drive with the foreman and lo and behold it was not doing it! Looks like a morning in the warm shop cured my jeep. Of course it has been doing it ever since - being outside and really cold.
Is anyone else experiencing this? It is a pretty loud (as best I can describe) clunking noise, I actually even feel it under my left foot. I'm going to take it back on Monday - our deep freeze will continue for at least another week. I did download some dash cam footage too where I can clearly hear the clunking.
Hi,

Iā€™m experiencing this also. Did you ever find/confirm the permanent fix?

Thank you!

OP
OP

brow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU
Hi,

Thank you!
Hi, took my jeep to the dealership a few times for this. They did replace the front stabilizer shock and related components, sorry don't have the parts break downs. But I know the last time it was there they did the recall for the stabilizer shock and since then I'd say this has not been an issue at all. It's been a year now, including one winter since, and it is all good. I know all this is wobble related but appears to have gone hand in hand. Best of luck

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi,

Thank you!
Hey, Petey003. Have you brought this to the attention of your dealer yet for repairs? If not, we recommend doing so at your earliest convenience. If you need assistance, please send a private message.

Kate
JeepCares
Sponsored