DailyDouble

First Name
Niles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Is it a clicking ticking noise type noise you’re referring too? I’m not hearing a clunk
yeah that click didn't really turn out to be the issue I was chasing... I have the same sound when turning as the above video tho, and you can hear that click in my video, I have the same thing in the tie rod as well.. with the joint moving up a touch, no horizontal movement tho.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The clicking noise sounds EXACTLY like my ball joints did when turning the steering.... I tightened them and it went away for a bit...now back to clicking again. I learned to ignore it and chalked it up FCA cheaping out and switching to aluminum knuckles.
I agree about the aluminum knuckles, as far as being great for weight saving but not for strength. It's the ball joints that were cheaped out on. The ball and socket inside the joint is plastic lined. It's possible that the returned clicking is due to the plastic tiring out. Multiple companies now offer heavy duty steel on steel replacements that also have grease fittings.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I agree about the aluminum knuckles, as far as being great for weight saving but not for strength. It's the ball joints that were cheaped out on. The ball and socket inside the joint is plastic lined. It's possible that the returned clicking is due to the plastic tiring out. Multiple companies now offer heavy duty steel on steel replacements that also have grease fittings.
Yeah...they are also pushing $500 + a good bit on labor. Not gonna spend that at this point.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah...they are also pushing $500 + a good bit on labor. Not gonna spend that at this point.
Agreed. Even if doing it yourself, it's a decent chunk for a few ball joints.

I just wanted to mention their being made with plastic, so you'd know they might be your click even though their tightened at the castle nuts. Help you avoid chasing knuckles at this point.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Agreed. Even if doing it yourself, it's a decent chunk for a few ball joints.

I just wanted to mention their being made with plastic, so you'd know they might be your click even though their tightened at the castle nuts. Help you avoid chasing knuckles at this point.
I chased it a year ago and took it to the dealer. I learned to ignore it...doesn't affect how it drives....no biggie.
Sponsored