Sponsored

Start-X Remote start

Overlander21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Overland (UK spec)
Mine arrived today (ordered it before Christmas, it took a while to get to the UK).

Watched a few videos, the install looks very easy and I've had that front panel out a few times already so no problems there. I've got an old Windows 7 PC so should be able to use Internet Explorer on there without any issues I hope.
Sponsored

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Old thread, but just wanted to say I installed this on my 2019 RU. I kept thinking id mess something up, but everything programed perfectly. Got it to work first attempt. I will say, the flash program seems to be a little different a than the one in the video. It's an updated one I think. Not sure if it works now with other browsers. Mine came with decent instructions and points you to a different website, however, I think the old one just redirects you to the one used now.

Question, why the warning sticker they want you to put under the hood? Is that so the mechanic doesn't play with the remote when his head is under the hood or when the oil is drained out?

One more thing, I read some reviews on Amazon that theirs stopped working some time after install be it a week, month. Etc and they were going to try reprogramming it. I would suspect the black box may have been installed without securing it or in a position that allowed the reset button to be pushed inadvertently. It is in a spot where I could see it getting depressed by the glove box bumping it, thus taking it back to factory state.

Garri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2020
Question, why the warning sticker they want you to put under the hood? Is that so the mechanic doesn't play with the remote when his head is under the hood or when the oil is drained out?

Exactly. This is because starting the engine when you are working on it is dangerous. Being aware that you can start it remotely is essential. Many cars have safety switches that prevent starting with the hood open. The Wrangler doesn't have it.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

Exactly. This is because starting the engine when you are working on it is dangerous. Being aware that you can start it remotely is essential. Many cars have safety switches that prevent starting with the hood open. The Wrangler doesn't have it.
The Wrangler absolutely has safety switches to prevent remote start. They're the plungers just to the right and front of engine bay. This product just doesn't utilize them. Hence, the sticker.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Wrangler's and Gladiator's that leave the factory with the remote start option do indeed have plunger switch in the engine compartment that when released by hood up, the vehicle will not remote start.-> When the engine compartment hood is open, the Wrangler will not start wth remote start .

Remote start kits that Stellantis sells for install as an add on also have remote start safety.

Jeep Wrangler JL Start-X Remote start IMG_5069

Sponsored

Garri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2020
That makes sense.. if it comes from the factory, it has the switches. Mine, for example, doesn't have them, as it doesn't have remote start as standard.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
In any case, it's hard to hit the lock button (three times in succession) by accident.

Garri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2020
I installed my kit just yesterday.

It was simple as expected and as already mentioned here on the forum. I can only add that I used my Mac and Firefox to download the App.

Jeep Wrangler JL Start-X Remote start Screenshot 2023-06-14 alle 20.43.29

The App download site is only in English or French, so the suffix of the address when abroad needs to be changed to /en. Everything else is effortless and works perfectly. :like:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My only (slight) gripe is I wish I had set the powerdown timer to a longer interval than I did, and I'm to lazy to go behind the dash because, otherwise, it is working great.

Does the factory option allow for different powerdown intervals? [if, after x amount of time you haven't touched the brake, the engine will shutdown.]

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
My only (slight) gripe is I wish I had set the powerdown timer to a longer interval than I did, and I'm to lazy to go behind the dash because, otherwise, it is working great.

Does the factory option allow for different powerdown intervals? [if, after x amount of time you haven't touched the brake, the engine will shutdown.]
On a JL/JT with factory installed remote start ..... After 15 minutes if you have not opened the door or pressed the fob, unlock button, etc., the engine will shut off automatically. This 15 min time frame cannot be changed.

Sponsored

Metalkevin13

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Hey all, I installed this on my 22' JL. The flashing process has been updated and can be done in other browsers, but otherwise it was straightforward.

I am just trying to understand the anti-theft protocols in this.

95% of the time it will continue to run even if I open passenger doors first, or forget to hit unlock on the fob.

There are very random times when I properly hit unlock, and open the driver door, and it will shut off when I hit the brake. Only once out of these occurrences did I notice "Fob Not Detected".

Is this all related to moments of not detecting the Key Fob? My Fob battery is fine, and I only got that message on the dash 1 time out of maybe 8-9 occurrences. (in about 4 months time, daily use)

Minor gripe, otherwise very happy with it versus the cost of OEM.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hey all, I installed this on my 22' JL. The flashing process has been updated and can be done in other browsers, but otherwise it was straightforward.

I am just trying to understand the anti-theft protocols in this.

95% of the time it will continue to run even if I open passenger doors first, or forget to hit unlock on the fob.

There are very random times when I properly hit unlock, and open the driver door, and it will shut off when I hit the brake. Only once out of these occurrences did I notice "Fob Not Detected".

Is this all related to moments of not detecting the Key Fob? My Fob battery is fine, and I only got that message on the dash 1 time out of maybe 8-9 occurrences. (in about 4 months time, daily use)

Minor gripe, otherwise very happy with it versus the cost of OEM.
You just pinpointed my only (slight) gripe about the Start-X: Occasionally, if I linger a little before driving, the engine shuts off when I first touch the brake. I agree, it's easy to live with this minor shortcoming. Especially given the HUGE price difference from OEM. When I bought my Jeep the remote start option also required proximity locking, bringing the total north of $1,000.

Last edited:

Metalkevin13

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
You just pinpointed my only (slight) gripe about the Start-X: Occasionally, if I linger a little before driving, the engines shuts off when I first touch the brake. I agree, it's easy to live with this minor shortcoming. Especially given the HUGE price difference from OEM. When I bought my Jeep the remote start option also required proximity locking, bringing the total north of $1,000.
Thanks for the feedback! Honestly, just good to know it's not just me or something I did. Not a deal breaker by any stretch, but had to ask!
Sponsored