First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys 2 Door Manual.
Occupation
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Manual 2020 Rubicon with Tazer. With the Tazer set to turn off SS and seatbelt chime upon start, everything has been great. Took it in for gearing change to 4.88. When I went to drive it I get Start Stop unavailable AND my gearing indicator on the driver info goes blank. Both after a mile or so. Shut off the vehicle. Start right away, I get no issues. Gear indicator displays gear I’m in. , Tazer shuts off SS as led on button is lit. Go a mile or 2. Same thing, SS unavailable comes on dash, gear indicator blank. Opened fuse lid. Pushed all fuses and relays opened glove box and pushed on the 2 power bar connections. No change. When I turn the vehicle on, everything goes back to working, then those 2 go out after 20-30 seconds.
Any ideas? Doubt it’s a loose fuse because it all works on power up. For a bit!

After a rum my brain kick in. Maybe I have to tell the Tazer. I went to 4.88 from 4.10. Seems odd but I will look. Once I get home.
Sponsored

Last edited:

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
I know the answer. I had the exact same problem.

(PS, this happens 15 seconds or so after you shift into 5th or 6th. Doesn't matter how long you drive it, as long as you don't go into those top two gears.)

First, you have to carefully go through all the steps in the Tazer 6 speed supplement:

https://www.zautomotive.com/zpu/instructions/jlm6relearn.pdf

Then, additionally, not mentioned in that manual, after you've done that completely, you need to do a complete battery disconnect (disconnecting both the main and aux batteries) for 30 minutes to depower all the computers that keep a cache of the tire/wheel size in some cache memory somewhere, so that they have to refresh themselves.

When you do that, your UCONNECT display will lose its brain, and you'll experience some other weird issues, like the console thinking you're driving a sport instead of a rubicon. These issues will sort themselves out over the next few starts and 24 hours or so, as memory caches force themselves to refresh from the source.

A number of us have had this issue.

OP
OP
Albertaktm

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wow. I looked up the Tazer manual and there is a section to set gearing. So it’s not just as simple as that I take it. I remember the 6 speed section of full power down, wait a few minutes, reboot. . So you saying that the above won’t be enough? Sounds like a 3 rum fix!

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Wow. I looked up the Tazer manual and there is a section to set gearing. So it’s not just as simple as that I take it. I remember the 6 speed section of full power down, wait a few minutes, reboot. . So you saying that the above won’t be enough? Sounds like a 3 rum fix!
Yep. Additionally, after all those steps, do the battery disconnect.

I followed the set instructions three or four times, convinced I must be missing something or doing something wrong. Asked here, and someone else clued me in.

OP
OP
Albertaktm

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wow. I looked up the Tazer manual and there is a section to set gearing. So it’s not just as simple as that I take it. I remember the 6 speed section of full power down, wait a few minutes, reboot. . So you saying that the above won’t be enough?
Yep. Additionally, after all those steps, do the battery disconnect.

I followed the set instructions three or four times, convinced I must be missing something or doing something wrong. Asked here, and someone else clued me in.
Yeah I did everything as mentioned except pull the battery as it was last. I did the 40--80 mph 6th gear set as well. The Ss no gear indicator died. As I was getting up to speed for 6th. Actually tripped in 4th. Did the 2 sleeps. Now I have pulled the terminals off the main. I hope the negative that goes to the aux will kill the aux as well. Just going to give it an hr or 2. I did check after a few of the sleep cycles and the 4.88 was saved but as you say, some memory location some where is storing something that keeps tripping that message. Hopefully in an hr I will know.

Sponsored

wjjohnson43

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 commander, 16 Ram 2500, 23 ram 3500, 22 Rubicon
Make sure you separate the aux ess battery lead from the main battery connector. I neglected to separate them the first time and it didn't work. After separating them and letting the systems refresh we haven't had a problem.

OP
OP
Albertaktm

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Make sure you separate the aux ess battery lead from the main battery connector. I neglected to separate them the first time and it didn't work. After separating them and letting the systems refresh we haven't had a problem.
Yes I caught that. Else the frame ground gos up to the bus and back down to the Aux neg connection basically keeping it alive

OP
OP
Albertaktm

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well after the batteries were disconnected all night, fired up and SS error / Blank gear indicator has gone. Got a bit concerned on boot as I had an odd Uconnect screen for about a second then everything was normal. Time. Everything. Thought that was odd but ok. After a good boot the only thing I noticed is no backup camera. I had it set to engage on signal light with the Tazer before. That still worked after it errored yesterday but of course not in reverse as it did not know what gear it was in. Now nothing. Hope it comes back but in all honesty, I never use them for backing up. That’s what hauling Motorsports trailer for 40 years will do. !
Sponsored