Sponsored

Standard Engine..??

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
This new 4-cylinder turbo engine will likely make more torque than the Pentastar V6 and won't be affected by altitude changes like the V6. It'll be an engine that pulls hard and may have a higher MPG rating as well.
It'll make more torque on a graph, but how smoothly will it deliver it? It'll have a higher MPG rating, but again how does that translate to real world.
The BSG will help in town, but does the aerodynamics of the Wrangler mean at real hwy speed it's always on boost?
That's my concerns.

We've discussed this before, and you know I'm fine with forced air, especially since I am at altitutde, but I would've prefered a slightly larger displacement base to offer more non-boost power, and would prefer supercharger over turbo.

We won't know which is better at which role until they arrive, but the fact that the Hurricane is "delayed" and not a scheduled later arrival, means that they are already encountering problems, which is not reassuring.
Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Yeah, I want a supercharged 3.6 V6, not a turbocharged 2.0 I4.

JaybearWL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0t
This makes me feel so much better about waiting for a JLU. This will be my first Jeep and I'd rather have a tried a true pentastar than a new experimental engine. Though I'm usually an early adopter of things, I get more skittish about that with automobiles.

Maybe it's been in there before and I just missed it, but it doesn't look to me like there's going to be a sub-Sport (no power locks / windows) - that seems encouraging to me. Part of me wants to buy a trimmed up Sahara, but another more animalistic part of me just wants to buy a baseline MT and make and upgrades as I go. If I can still get a baseline Sport MT pentastar, except that it has power doors and windows, that will be awesome. If it weren't for the fact that I have to roll my windows every time I go into and out of parking garage at work, I'd buy rollers.

Acb36695

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ
This makes me feel so much better about waiting for a JLU. This will be my first Jeep and I'd rather have a tried a true pentastar than a new experimental engine. Though I'm usually an early adopter of things, I get more skittish about that with automobiles.

Maybe it's been in there before and I just missed it, but it doesn't look to me like there's going to be a sub-Sport (no power locks / windows) - that seems encouraging to me. Part of me wants to buy a trimmed up Sahara, but another more animalistic part of me just wants to buy a baseline MT and make and upgrades as I go. If I can still get a baseline Sport MT pentastar, except that it has power doors and windows, that will be awesome. If it weren't for the fact that I have to roll my windows every time I go into and out of parking garage at work, I'd buy rollers.
I agree, my ideal setup will be a base model JLU with power windows and locks. Everything else will be replaced before the end of 2018 anyways

Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
I've still got a couple years before I'm going to be in a position to buy a JL. I am looking at all three options and will drive them all before my decision. The Pentastar looks like my probable choice, i still have reliability/heat concerns with a turbo running at low speeds while wheeling for long periods of time.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
No doubt, I've always wondered why the Jeep Wrangler has to get heavier, and bigger with each version. I may be in the minority, but I'd like a small Jeep Wrangler, I don't need one that keeps growing bigger and heavier.
Unfortunately, the Wrangler kept growing bigger and heavier like the average US customer.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
What we NEED is some inside info on Hurricane engine HP/torque figures for the JL. We've got a pretty good idea about Pentastar. We need Hurricane numbers so we can actually figure this out.

Remember, these little 4-cylinder turbo engines make a FLAT torque curve. I still don't understand why guys think this engine will feel weak. Look at what Ford is doing with theirs.

EcoBoostTorqueCurve.jpg

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What we NEED is some inside info on Hurricane engine HP/torque figures for the JL. We've got a pretty good idea about Pentastar. We need Hurricane numbers so we can actually figure this out.
Agreed, but we won't get that until the engine at least breaks cover, and likely not until a bit after that for a detailed torque curve. Some are more peaky

Remember, these little 4-cylinder turbo engines make a FLAT torque curve. I still don't understand why guys think this engine will feel weak.
It's flatter, but still not Pentastar flat, and in that curve the power delivery is late in the RPM range , @1,800 RPM it's still only providing 66% of power @ 180 bs the Pentastar's 95% @ 1,800RPM w/ 250lbft, it takes the ecoboost there an extra 500 RPM to reach 95%.. and that's without even adding lag, and also using the old later power Pentastar.
So while people talk about quick power turbos, yes, you can have that, but it usually doesn't come with the same flat curve without adding more exotic parts in the turbo design/setup. So often it's a choice, early power or smoother power.

It won't be truly 'weak' but it also won't be impressive, more just Ho-Hum, especially for something that appears to now charge a price premium, fuel premium and likely maintenance premium.
And compared to a better fit engine, then yes it's 'weaker', because it's focus is PR, not best fit, but even then the Pentastar wouldn't impress either.

Outside of special cases like the alttitude penalty (which will be offset by similar special cases like those interested in smooth power delivery for off-road) it just doesn't seem like much of anything, other than a sideways option that might end up displacing the Pentastar, but for all the wrong reasons that aren't related to the needs of the vehicle or its driver.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I think that 4 cylinder, being optional, will surprise people. I'm looking forward to seeing what it will do. Traditionally, turbo engines have had lag and were not powerful off the line because they had to spool up. I've got a Ford 3.5 Ecoboost in a 15 passenger van that pulls hard right off idle and continues to pull hard all the way to red line. I'm betting FCA is packing a punch into this engine that will do the same thing. My 3.5 makes GOBS more power all through the powerband than the Chevy van with a 6.0 V8 it replaced. It isn't even close.

If they do it right, it could be a great engine. I've got a feeling I'll be wishing they offered it with a manual. The reality is, though, that the updated Pentastar will probably put a nice smile on my face, anyway, and be fairly bulletproof, to boot.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've got a Ford 3.5 Ecoboost
Which uses two turbos and starts with a capable size for a naturally aspirated engine to start with, unlike a 2.0L 4 with a single turbo.

It can be capable, but it's more likely just getting it done, and it's not about to be impressive, it'll be right alongside performance, similar to what happened in the Mustang.

A lot of it comes down to how it's engineered, but that usually means trade-offs elsewhere, and with the supposed delays in the Hurricane, leans towards the Pentastar advantage you mentioned.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, but it is moving a giant 15 passenger high roof van around with 12 people in it. I'm not comparing the Ecoboost to the 4 cyl, but actually to a 6.0 liter V8.

The Jeep 4's output obviously will depend on how much engineering effort goes into it. I'm just saying that if that effort is high, power output could be better than people think. What makes me think the effort may be there is that it is an optional engine, and not standard.