First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
What's better turbo or pentastar
Only Jeep's engineers have a clue to that right now. I'm betting the turbo will be a great engine. The turbo setup makes me a bit nervous in a vehicle that gets into brush, weeds, and such. I worry about the heat it generates. My bet, though, is that Jeep's engineers have worked all that out with lots of testing and experience. I chose the Pentastar, though, because it is proven. My Jeep will be going into remote places. I'm used to the old 3.8 in my JK, which has been bullet proof. I also wanted the manual transmission, which only comes with the 3.6.

I'm betting the turbo will be a great engine, though, and that it will do just fine in the Wrangler. I'm betting it will have a little more power than the 3.6.
Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
I doubt the turbo 4 will make more HP than the V6. Maybe the torque curve will be lower. The Alfa Stelvio 2.0T makes 280 hp on premium fuel but it does haul a$$ 0-60 in 5.4 seconds. It's a couple hundred pounds lighter than the JLU though.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I doubt the turbo 4 will make more HP than the V6. Maybe the torque curve will be lower. The Alfa Stelvio 2.0T makes 280 hp on premium fuel but it does haul a$$ 0-60 in 5.4 seconds. It's a couple hundred pounds lighter than the JLU though.
I think it will. I think it will be at least 280hp, or at least offer a higher torque peak. An optional engine needs to offer something more than just a mile per gallon, unless it is a no cost option.

Vintage

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK
I really fell in love with the Pentastar. It was in my last 2 cars and gave me 0 issues. It also sounds wonderful despite being a Chrysler V6, lol. The idea of a 2.0 turbo 4 in a 4x4 with solid axles and BFG mud terrains.. no bueno.
AGREED 100% - I put 140k miles on my 2012 Wrangler Sport with ZERO issues. It will be a V6 for me again and a MT. I am not messing with what has been perfection for me - the Pentastar! Plus, it loves regular old gas. Turbos are great, but not in my new 2 door JL.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
As just random number guess on torque my guess +/- would be to jumble the numbers a bit.

So assuming the 268 typo for HP already mentioned... my guess is somewhere around 286 for lbft tq. +/- 7 FOOT UNITS of BEAST !!

Essentially inverting the 285/260 focus of the Pentastar.

However the raw numbers still don’t tell all the story, as I think the important things for most people considering the two (other than the outright stuff like alititude ot history) will likely be how early and smoothly that torque is delivered, and what task it needs to be on boost and when it can coast along just on displacement. Plus add the mild influence of the BSG.

Regardless, it will offer an interesting challenge for people looking for specific benefits for their use and trying to figure out which will accomplish the task better.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
FCA's Alfa 2.0t Specs: Probably the closest cousin to the JL motor.

ALL-ALUMINUM ENGINE
2.0L Direct-Injection I4
Intercooled Turbo Engine
280 HP
306 lb-ft of torque
8 Speed Automatic Transmission
Sponsored