Squirrelly JL Rubicon

RubiCube5

First Name
Leopold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I just upgraded my tires to 35’s using my stock wheels and the drive has gotten a bit squirrelly. Wondering for any recommendations on possible fixes? Steering stabilizer?
Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I just upgraded my tires to 35’s using my stock wheels and the drive has gotten a bit squirrelly. Wondering for any recommendations on possible fixes? Steering stabilizer?
A steering “stabiliser “ is just a dampener. Will likley not help you at all. I’d recommend having your caster checked (just the test shouldn’t be more than $30). The stock spec is bullshit. You want somewhere between 6-7 degrees.

3 options:
1. Get the control arms from the factory lift kit. They’re about 1/4” longer than stock. This will get you like 5.5 and cost around $50.
2. Get the metal cloak adjustable lowers. The rubber bushings are great and you can get to 6.5 pretty easily. Cost is $350ish on sale and then install. I did it myself, but it would have been a pain in the ass if my JLUR wasn’t in a lift.
3. Get a different manufactures arms. Don’t bother. OEM or metal cloak.

I went route #2. Between the steel steering box and the adjustable arms, the JL drive a whole ton better.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
How’s the air pressure? Should be around 30 psi give or take to have even wear on the tread with a chalk test.

OP
OP
RubiCube5

RubiCube5

First Name
Leopold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How’s the air pressure? Should be around 30 psi give or take to have even wear on the tread with a chalk test.
I dropped psi to 33-34 last week. Doesn’t seem to be the problem though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RubiCube5

RubiCube5

First Name
Leopold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A steering “stabiliser “ is just a dampener. Will likley not help you at all. I’d recommend having your caster checked (just the test shouldn’t be more than $30). The stock spec is bullshit. You want somewhere between 6-7 degrees.

3 options:
1. Get the control arms from the factory lift kit. They’re about 1/4” longer than stock. This will get you like 5.5 and cost around $50.
2. Get the metal cloak adjustable lowers. The rubber bushings are great and you can get to 6.5 pretty easily. Cost is $350ish on sale and then install. I did it myself, but it would have been a pain in the ass if my JLUR wasn’t in a lift.
3. Get a different manufactures arms. Don’t bother. OEM or metal cloak.

I went route #2. Between the steel steering box and the adjustable arms, the JL drive a whole ton better.
Do you have a link for #2?

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
I dropped psi to 33-34 last week. Doesn’t seem to be the problem though.
I would go lower psi. Do the chalk test. I switched to 35s and they are load D and went down to 30 psi. The Jeep drove normally like before but the tire installer put 37 psi and going over bumps was to harsh. I don’t really understand why some people get all these bad driving characteristics when going 35s or lifting the Jeep. I lifted mine and went to 35s and it just drives like factory.

Last edited:

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I would go lower psi. Do the chalk test. I switched to 35s and they are load D and went down to 30 psi. The Jeep drove normally like before but the tire installer put 37 psi and going over bumps was to harsh. I don’t really understand why some people get all these bad driving characteristics when going 35s or lifting the Jeep. I lifted mine and went to 35s and it just drives like factory.
I'd try pressure first. I changed my fill gauge and accidentally filled my 35's to 36 PSI last weekend, Jeep was all over the road, dropped them back down to 31 and drives perfectly. Unless you want to spend money, I can certainly help with that...

Jeep Wrangler JL Squirrelly JL Rubicon 1623187645754

Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I used those arms with a 392 takeoff suspension and with 35s drives like stock. When I measured the angle at the pumpkin I go 0° which is 6° caster.
Are the 392 arms any longer than the ones from the factory lift kit? If so, we should get part numbers on those as the factory lift kits would be perfect on a JLxR if they were 1/8” longer. Personal preference, of course… I like lazy Cadillac steering.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are the 392 arms any longer than the ones from the factory lift kit? If so, we should get part numbers on those as the factory lift kits would be perfect on a JLxR if they were 1/8” longer. Personal preference, of course… I like lazy Cadillac steering.
No, only springs, shocks and links are different. The rest is the same. That’s why I ordered the longer MOPAR LCAs.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase