Sponsored

Squeal at start-up

jchie21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S 2D
Hey all, I know this issue has been mentioned before but curious if anyone has actually had any resolution.

I am currently sitting around 6k miles and am continueing to have the belt squeal sound on start-up. I was hoping this would resolve with break-in, however this doesn’t appear as it’s going to be the case.

Anyone else out there with this persistant problem had any luck with a diagnosis and/or fix?

You mean this noise? I only have ~400 miles on '18JL, it happens when i drive it and let it sit for about 15-20 min and i go and start it again, really intermittent. Thinking about taking her in soon.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eric552

Eric552

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
You mean this noise? I only have ~400 miles on '18JL, it happens when i drive it and let it sit for about 15-20 min and i go and start it again, really intermittent. Thinking about taking her in soon.

Yep! That’s the exactly noise! Please keep us updated if you do take it in on what they say and any possible fixes.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@jchie21 .... Yup, I have 4,000 or so miles on my JL and on occasion hear that same exact noise. Seriously doubt it is anything to worry about or that you will find out exactly what is is and stop it, but I'd be curious to know what is causing it. It do not believe it is a belt slipping.

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Yep I have 5,000 miles on the Jeep and it makes the same noise.

Jarhead727

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I have 1500 miles on my Sport S and noticed this same sequel recently.

Sponsored

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
My sequel lasts 0.2 seconds in the first belt rotation. Not every time but only when it's been sitting a bit. It's kind of loud in the garage but not loud enough as an annoyance outside. I just want it to be a quality problem that bites me later. It would be one of those things that would take forever for the service dept to find and would probably go down as "No Trouble Found"

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
SAME HERE...it happens very often at start up for me

Mark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Happens to me quite often as well

DToxic

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
happens to me as well. Seems random, hot or cold weather, doesn't matter. And I live in a relatively low humidity area.

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR Granite, 15 JKS 2DR, F80 M3
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
It is not going to go away. I have 18k on mine and it still does it. The Grand Cherokee does it and a few other Jeeps with the same motor have it. Jeep knows about it and there has been no talk about a fix. I have spoke to two dealerships and have had a ticket filed since March.

It is what it is...plenty of threads on this...it sucks but it isn't going away any time soon...

Sponsored

Fatmac1045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Yup, I have 700 miles and it's been doing it since I purchased her with 10 miles. I thought it was caused by the silicone spray the "detailers" used to prep before delivery. It's quite annoying...

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Add mine to the list. It may be nothing serious and it may happen to other vehicles, BUT it is not normal.

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
I have a squeal and a thump. Took it to my dealership today and got the expected reply: "Couldn't reproduce the problem." When I pressed them and showed them, they said, they "feel at this time, the noises heard are normal condition only at this time."

Be grateful if you have a dealership who actually admits there's a problem. Most dealership service departments are mindless parts replacers. Diagnostics is a dwindling art. If there's no TSB (or the guy working on your car that day isn't particularly good with computers or numbers), the problem does not exist.

For fun, here's a montage of my startup noises.