First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Occupation
Retired Police, Now Certified Custom Club Fitter
Did to put that clear piece on the back ? They say it flaps there and scratches the paint
I don’t believe it’s there for flapping reasons it’s there because it can rub a little.

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22'JLURD
The clear strip is for the rubbing the paint, but it rubs because it flaps. I'm sure it's due to the hole for the hardtop latches. Creates sag in that area which would otherwise be tight.

I went with Spiderweb as I had the on the JK (before this trampoline type material), which I loved. I understand the windshield part, as the footman loops are gone. But the rest, love the ball/bungee. You could replace the bungee (shock cord) to keep the top tight. With the bungee being integrated into the top, I don't see how you can replace it.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
The clear strip is for the rubbing the paint, but it rubs because it flaps. I'm sure it's due to the hole for the hardtop latches. Creates sag in that area which would otherwise be tight.

I went with Spiderweb as I had the on the JK (before this trampoline type material), which I loved. I understand the windshield part, as the footman loops are gone. But the rest, love the ball/bungee. You could replace the bungee (shock cord) to keep the top tight. With the bungee being integrated into the top, I don't see how you can replace it.
So you're saying with the straps built on to the shade it's not as tight as the bungee balls used to be? and I can't remember you have the one-piece or two-piece I think the other one piece do you think the two piece would be better and tighter and not flap as much? I think with the two piece you wouldn't need the clear piece back there

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I have a single piece spiderweb shade on my 2 door hard top and I'm happy with it. Coming from a TJ that used the bungee balls for attachment I feel that the new design allows them to shrink the gap. While I never had to replace a bungee on my TJ, I do have concerns that if just one bungee fails I'm going to have to replace the entire shade on my JL. One update to the design I would have liked to see would be on the header. I have no issue with how it attaches to the windshield header, but had it been done with grommets and toggles (similar idea to the bungee balls but with a T shape instead) you could quickly disconnect the shade from the windshield allow the shade to be folded/rolled back for when you're wanting a sunburn.
yes you're right I didn't think about that before with the bunngie balls you could just fold it back and have that open feeling. But like you said one strap breaks you have to replace the whole entire shade . I think they're going to regret making it that way. A one piece on a two-door is it long enough. I guess to give you any problems I mean just like the back you have to put that clear piece on there what scratches your paint all of that's not good. if you don't put it on right you have paint chipping on your roll bar unbelievable. I guess there's not that problem with the hitting the paint on the 2-door or two piece on the floor door. I wish Jacobs made a weird piece but they won't make one they said it'll flop too much they all flap but a two-piece it's not that bad

Sponsored

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
I have the one piece for a four door...and it never came with any tape. Was this a lesson learned later on?

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I have the one piece for a four door...and it never came with any tape. Was this a lesson learned later on?
you might look at some of the YouTube videos they'll show you people putting that clear vinyl on. I would suggest putting it on before you start having paint chipping. Why take a chance for Jeeps new or fairly new it's on the JL that they have this give them a call and tell them you never got it. Probably just forgot to put it in the box

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Agreed. My top is also a lousy fit. Flaps around like crazy. I had a cheap shade on my jk that was a million times better than this one. I too regret spending the money on this.

Maybe I'll try your idea as well.:like:
Which one do you regret buying the spider web? One piece 2 piece on a JL?

Memphis Peej

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot, Acura TSX, 2019 Moab!!!
Did you put that clear piece of tape on the back of the row bar
No. Did t know about it. I also have the Sky One Touch roof and wonder if that might be a plus in this case.

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
So your roll bar got scratched all up what scratch it if it's just the shade ? I wouldn't think just the material could scratch it

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
So your roll bar got scratched all up what scratch it if it's just the shade ? I wouldn't think just the material could scratch it
I'll look the next time I pull the top back.

Its the one piece for a four door, with no cutoutS. I dislike this product.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I'll look the next time I pull the top back.

Its the one piece for a four door, with no cutoutS. I dislike this product.
It has the cutouts for the freedom panels right ? what about the one piece do you not like ? do you think the two piece would be better with the straps being built onto the shade does it get tight enough like the bungees did ? because besides spider web only other choice is Jay tops and they don't make a rear piece just one piece and I don't like the way it comes down and covers the whole row bar on the back. It comes down too far on the rear roll bar and I don't like the big buckles

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
It has the cutouts for the freedom panels right ? what about the one piece do you not like ? do you think the two piece would be better with the straps being built onto the shade does it get tight enough like the bungees did ? because besides spider web only other choice is Jay tops and they don't make a rear piece just one piece and I don't like the way it comes down and covers the whole row bar on the back. It comes down too far on the rear roll bar and I don't like the big buckles
No, no cutouts. I dont like how loose it is. It flaps like crazy at speed. My rugged ridge shade on my jk never flapped at all

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
how do you put the freedom panels back on ? most all one piece shades have a cut out for that so you don't have to take it off when you put the freedom panels back on ? do you think the 2 piece will be any better ? does it get tight enough with the new style with no bungee cords ?
Sponsored