Speaker replacement upgrade

carstereochick

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler MOAB and 2014 Wrangler 2-door Freedom Edition
I ordered my JL AUDIO VX1000/5. 2 sets of the C2 3.5” speakers and 2 sets of C2 4” speakers and 2 TW3 10” subs. I’m replacing all speakers. And going to build a down fire box that is the shape of the rear floor. That way if anyone looks in they won’t be able to tell and I can still use that area to carry items.

I’m looking forward to getting this done. The factory system is terrible.
Love, love, love down firing boxes in Jeeps. I was just explaining this to someone a few minutes ago. Not only does it hide the subs, a traditional enclosure with the woofers firing back towards the tailgate, those pressure waves are lost in the open air when the top is down. By flipping the box over and down firing, those pressure waves resonate on the frame of the vehicle and are better timed, more quickly felt and less likely to be lost in the open air. Great idea for anyone building a box for their Wrangler, down fire all the way!
Sponsored

JLsport2019

"CarStereoChick" & "Sting_NC_USA"

thank you both for your input on these stereo threads.
I'm now a expert on Fix-86 and JL Audio VXi (DSP) amplifiers....lolol
(and front speaker Jeep upgrades too)

JLsport2019

Love, love, love down firing boxes in Jeeps. I was just explaining this to someone a few minutes ago. Not only does it hide the subs, a traditional enclosure with the woofers firing back towards the tailgate, those pressure waves are lost in the open air when the top is down. By flipping the box over and down firing, those pressure waves resonate on the frame of the vehicle and are better timed, more quickly felt and less likely to be lost in the open air. Great idea for anyone building a box for their Wrangler, down fire all the way!
My JL Audio 10" built-in amp powered Subwoofer (400RMS), the speaker is pointed "up". Is that the worse way to angle that Sub? Worse than Sub speaker pointed at tailgate?
I have a 2-door JL 2019

20190424_194417_HDR~2.jpg

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If it were me, I'd angle it down, using 4 improvised "feet". In the past, I've used some larger PVC pipe end caps as "feet" and velcro'd them to the box. Test it multiple ways to see what sounds best to you. If that works and sounds great, you can figure out a good tie-down method to keep the box secure.

carstereochick

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it were me, I'd angle it down, using 4 improvised "feet". In the past, I've used some larger PVC pipe end caps as "feet" and velcro'd them to the box. Test it multiple ways to see what sounds best to you. If that works and sounds great, you can figure out a good tie-down method to keep the box secure.
My JL Audio 10" built-in amp powered Subwoofer (400RMS), the speaker is pointed "up". Is that the worse way to angle that Sub? Worse than Sub speaker pointed at tailgate?
I have a 2-door JL 2019

20190424_194417_HDR~2.jpg
I agree with Sting_NC_USA. It's not really that it's worse, it's just that those pressure waves are probably lost when the top is down. Probably sounds good with the hard top on. Adjusting position effects phase and timing so that's great advice to try a few positions and see what sounds best. Should be pretty easy to make some feet and flip over. Our shop has been known to use the W7 grilles or even cabinet handle hardware for "feet" which can provide nice tie down points.

Sponsored

JLsport2019

What front component speakers to use?
(4" or 5.1/4")

This thread has me narrowed it down to four choices_ component front speakers (Dash and Knee kick panel).

1. Focal k2 ~$700
2. Alpine Type R ~$300
3. Morel Hybrid ~$700
4. JL Audio C3/C5 ~$500

What are your experiences?
I'll be using a Amp 70-100watts in EACH of the speakers.....

Last edited by a moderator:

carstereochick

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What front component speakers to use?
(4" or 5.1/4")

This thread has me narrowed it down to four choices_ component front speakers (Dash and Knee kick panel).

1. Focal k2 ~$700
2. Alpine Type R ~$300
3. Morel Hybrid ~$700
4. JL Audio C3/C5 ~$500

What are your experiences?
I'll be using a Amp 70-100watts in EACH of the speakers.....
You could take a long drive on a nice day to my shop and listen to the Focal, Type R (also have Type X, but only available in 6.5"), Morel Hybrid's and JL C2's ;) And while you're here you could hear the 4" Morels, with the Vxi amp and JL Stealth boxes (yeah we already put those in and took out our beloved 12W6 downier box and PDXV9, I am quite impressed with the Stealth boxes, a little disappointed in stepping down to the 75 watts RMS, we will be adding an XD 200/2 just to power rears and run full 75x4 to fronts only).

I don't have the C3 or C5 because I had a terrible time trying to sell them. They are very inefficient, they NEED power to perform so when you A/B them with other speakers, even with an amp, they naturally sounded quieter than anything else on my display board and that always leaves a bad impression when you're straight up just A/Bing different speakers. Very clean speakers, no coloration, but the tweeter often seems muted when compared to the other options listed.

Personally I wasn't huge fan of the C3 and C5 speakers, for the money I think everything else in that list is a better value and better tonal balance. For example, almost all of my customers preferred $230 Morel Maximo's (or Alpine Type R's) over the more costly C3 and C5's which is why they are no longer taking up space on my display board (sorry JL - I love your amps, subs, stealth boxes, C1 and C2's).

Focal K2's are very balanced, nice mid range, but Morel has better tweeter, it's impeccable (but seem lacking in mid bass when compared to K2). Type R is very good tonal balance, good value, but not as clean/tight in mid range/detail as K2 or More Hybrid.

JLsport2019

Thanks for the reply.
I will buy the Speakers I choose from your store for helping me out.

Can you or hubby check these AMPS out since you have in your store?
Keeping speaker the same as testing down below.

Amplifiers:
JL Audio VXi DSP (75x4) versus Alpine PDXv9 non-DSP (100x4).

Is there a huge sound difference because of the DSP built into the JL Audio VXi?
I'm not asking "loudness", but in terms of sound quality?

Is this Negligible?

I know the 75watts will be less loud compared to the 100watts per speaker amp.

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JLUR
So when I ordered our Rubicon, I just ordered the base stereo with the thoughts that I could have a much better system installed for the $1600 Alpine option, then I found out nothing was out yet.
Here's what I've done so far, and it sounds better than stock, or is louder I should say, but the sound quality just insn't there imo.
Installed a MX 280/4 for the sound bar and knee panels, C2 3.5's in the dash and 4" in the knee, and have a 8" JL box with built in amp on the tailgate (this was before the stealth was avail).

Like I said, it's louder, but it seems the sound bar, and even the C2's become very distorted at volume level 16+.

Would I benefit from swapping out the mx280 for Vxi600/6? For a grand, I'd hope it would sound much much better, but not sure I'm willing to make the jump just on speculation?

Thoughts?

(And at this point, I am about to exceed that $1600 alpine option!! lol)

JLsport2019

^
I too am waiting if the JL Audio VXi (DSP) Amplifiers make a difference in sound quality over other high end amps.
I know it'll be louder, "but" what about sound quality. Those VXi (DSP) amps are $1000+.

Those 3.5" Dash Speakers you have is the same as me (JL Audio C2 coaxials).

I'm awaiting before buying, someone has tested VXi amps vs other high end non-DSP amps

Sponsored

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JLUR
^
I too am waiting if the JL Audio VXi (DSP) Amplifiers make a difference in sound quality over other high end amps.
I know it'll be louder, "but" what about sound quality. Those VXi (DSP) amps are $1000+.

Those 3.5" Dash Speakers you have is the same as me (JL Audio C2 coaxials).

I'm awaiting before buying, someone has tested VXi amps vs other high end non-DSP amps
TBH, I can't tell a bit of difference bt the factory speakers (with the amp) and the C2's.

Unix_Gawd

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL (Firecracker Red); 2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew 4x4; 1951 Ford F4 Deluxe Extra Cab;
You could take a long drive on a nice day to my shop and listen to the Focal, Type R (also have Type X, but only available in 6.5"), Morel Hybrid's and JL C2's ;) And while you're here you could hear the 4" Morels, with the Vxi amp and JL Stealth boxes (yeah we already put those in and took out our beloved 12W6 downier box and PDXV9, I am quite impressed with the Stealth boxes, a little disappointed in stepping down to the 75 watts RMS, we will be adding an XD 200/2 just to power rears and run full 75x4 to fronts only).

I don't have the C3 or C5 because I had a terrible time trying to sell them. They are very inefficient, they NEED power to perform so when you A/B them with other speakers, even with an amp, they naturally sounded quieter than anything else on my display board and that always leaves a bad impression when you're straight up just A/Bing different speakers. Very clean speakers, no coloration, but the tweeter often seems muted when compared to the other options listed.

Personally I wasn't huge fan of the C3 and C5 speakers, for the money I think everything else in that list is a better value and better tonal balance. For example, almost all of my customers preferred $230 Morel Maximo's (or Alpine Type R's) over the more costly C3 and C5's which is why they are no longer taking up space on my display board (sorry JL - I love your amps, subs, stealth boxes, C1 and C2's).

Focal K2's are very balanced, nice mid range, but Morel has better tweeter, it's impeccable (but seem lacking in mid bass when compared to K2). Type R is very good tonal balance, good value, but not as clean/tight in mid range/detail as K2 or More Hybrid.
@carstereochick...........Like everyone else on this thread, thx so much for the great info. Did U install a stealth box on both sides and remove the OEM on the premium system? I was considering installing one of the drivers side and keeping the OEM amp but is that really a good idea? Thx!
Sponsored