Speaker replacement upgrade

carstereochick

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler MOAB and 2014 Wrangler 2-door Freedom Edition
The DRC-205 is strongly recommended with the VXi amps, as it gives you fingertip control of your sound profiles and gain control. It's a programmable device, so you can tell it what you want the two knobs to do. I also added the Bluetooth module, but really don't find much value in it. If you have it, you don't need to connect your tablet via USB to change the profiles and other stuff. Oddly (at least as of the last time I tried it) the Bluetooth only works with phones/tablets and not a Laptop! It's just a bit more difficult to connect over Bluetooth when comparing the ease of use using the DRC-205.

The VXi is my first DSP based amp, so I'm afraid I'm not at all familiar with the others. I've seen several videos where CarAudioFabrication utilizes AudioControl D-series amps, and I consider them and @carstereochick highly reputable folks so check out both of their sites/forums.

I'm not sure I followed this: "It's crazy that only the 3.5" dash speakers were replaced and then using that JL Audio VX (DSP) series amplifiers, it will dramatically change the sounds (with subwoofer of course)." I wouldn't buy a VXi to use on the stock speakers. It would end badly, I'm afraid. If you go with a VXi series, you'll want quality components all around. If I missed your point, just let me know, and I'll try to respond as best as I can.

As for your last question, the DSP can control your sub, too. That is, as long as you're connecting the sub through the VXi directly, or through the VXi's RCA pass-through. You actually "draw" out how you want the inputs to feed your system via the TUN software. It's the most amazing part of the VXi option. That may be difficult to picture, so here's a snapshot of what I'm talking about. I've changed mine up a bit on a different system, but you'll get the gist of it. Hope this helps!
Screenshot_20190518-222657.jpg
Hubby ended up stealing the VXI amp I had set aside for my own car and installed it in our JLU earlier this week. First stab at tuning (late, late at night er, actually early morning, after hours, after working on customer's cars ON our anniversary too :facepalm:) and here is the RTA curve. He will fine tune some more when he has some free time, but amazing quality and control.

Wrangler JLU RTA with JL Audio VXI amp.jpeg
Sponsored

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
I noticed something yesterday that I have not seen mention but maybe everyone already know this. When I unplug my hardtop, something changes in the stereo. I don't know if it changes the EQ, or just makes everything louder, but it is definitely noticeable if the radio is on when you plug and unplug the top.

JLsport2019

I do not think those would sound much better than factory. If you had the bare bones stock system and added an amp to them I can see that sounding better than stock.

I honestly think the only reason JL Audio used those speakers in the LiteBright video is they don't offer any 4" component speakers (yet, I'm sure they'll develop something just for Jeep's eventually). Also they were probably only willing to donate so much money in equipment towards their project. Awesome video (although cringeworthy at times watching her try to explain things).

I disagree, i think the JL Audio C2 3.5" coaxial speakers on the Dash sound pretty well!

carstereochick

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I disagree, i think the JL Audio C2 3.5" coaxial speakers on the Dash sound pretty well!
I'm specifically talking about models with premium Alpine system, I think the C2's would be an upgrade over the bare bones stock speakers along with the amp as seen is the Lite Bright video, but I guess I'm just not a fan of upgrading speakers alone in ANY stock audio system (learned from experience with disappointed customers "They don't sound like they did on the display board now that they're installed in my car").

I deal with it all day long at my shop. If we do get a car with a bare bones super crummy stock stereo (like Honda Accord Sport with 4 speaker system or any Subaru with the base 4 or 6 speaker system) I find the best performing speakers off stock head unit are the ones that are extremely efficient and don't require a lot of power to perform like JBL speakers with a lower impedance. We also usually do sound dampening in these applications to increase performance as much as possible off the stock head unit.

However if you were to listen to the JBL's and C2's side by side on the sound board in our display room, the C2's have a smoother tweeter, but far less output because they are less efficient.

Efficiency makes a big difference when upgrading speakers off stock head unit power. C2's are good speakers, but not the most efficient on the market hence my hesitation. IMO it's like taking two steps forward and one step back (but I guess that still leaves you one step ahead). I'm more a fan of saving up money and doing it once and doing it right. If you do coaxial on top, when you do eventually upgrade the dash speakers you'll end up with 4 tweeters, yuck, it's too tinny as it is with one pair of tweeters.

For clarification - do you have the base stock system or Alpine? And you put them in your car and you thought they were an improvement and that's all you did?

Sponsored

JLsport2019

I'm specifically talking about models with premium Alpine system, I think the C2's would be an upgrade over the bare bones stock speakers along with the amp as seen is the Lite Bright video, but I guess I'm just not a fan of upgrading speakers alone in ANY stock audio system (learned from experience with disappointed customers "They don't sound like they did on the display board now that they're installed in my car").

I deal with it all day long at my shop. If we do get a car with a bare bones super crummy stock stereo (like Honda Accord Sport with 4 speaker system or any Subaru with the base 4 or 6 speaker system) I find the best performing speakers off stock head unit are the ones that are extremely efficient and don't require a lot of power to perform like JBL speakers with a lower impedance. We also usually do sound dampening in these applications to increase performance as much as possible off the stock head unit.

However if you were to listen to the JBL's and C2's side by side on the sound board in our display room, the C2's have a smoother tweeter, but far less output because they are less efficient.

Efficiency makes a big difference when upgrading speakers off stock head unit power. C2's are good speakers, but not the most efficient on the market hence my hesitation. IMO it's like taking two steps forward and one step back (but I guess that still leaves you one step ahead). I'm more a fan of saving up money and doing it once and doing it right. If you do coaxial on top, when you do eventually upgrade the dash speakers you'll end up with 4 tweeters, yuck, it's too tinny as it is with one pair of tweeters.

For clarification - do you have the base stock system or Alpine? And you put them in your car and you thought they were an improvement and that's all you did?

Your input is great in this board and we appreciate it very much. You've convinced me to buy a JL Audio VXi (DSP) Amplifier coming in 2weeks.. I thank you for that.

I have a 2019 JL SPORT 2-door.
The factory radio is a 7" (non-Alpine) deck.
So I'm starting from the bottom.

You are right, I do not want 4 tweeters up front.

I have JLaudio C2 (6 Total) Coaxial.
3.5" on dash, 4" on knee area, and 1 pair of 6.5" on SoundBar. All powered by a cheapie Apline 445u Power Pack $149.
and
I have a 10" JL Audio Powered SubWoofer.

My JL Audio VXi (DSP) amp- 6channel is coming 600watts.

What dash speaker or knee speakers do you recommend?

I was one of those customers that did not like tne C2 until I watched videos on them.
What speakers are more efficient.
I do NOT want very Bright HIGHS blaring at me (too tinny).
ie....what to buy JBL?
Alpine 5.1/4" Components?

Last edited by a moderator:

bean80

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep UJL 2005 Jeep TJ
My audio guy says he can get 6.5's to fit in both spots. Keeping it for two days for the speakers and new amp, guess we'll see.

Screenshot_20190531-202027.jpg

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
My audio guy says he can get 6.5's to fit in both spots. Keeping it for two days for the speakers and new amp, guess we'll see.
It's definitely do-able. They'll just have to fab the entire top of the kick panel enclosures. I'd recommend you ask them to fabricate a sealed enclosure within the soundbar speaker pockets, otherwise you'll lose most of the sound in a highly-inefficient soundbar enclosure.

I've been advising folks to not put too much money into the soundbar area, as they typically only act as "fill" speakers for the driver and passenger. Really haven't had any luck myself getting the soundbar to sound good, despite adding a ton of power, high-end speakers, sound deadening material and fiber-fill.

I'm jealous of the 6.5's so definitely enjoy them, I'm sure they'll sound great!

bean80

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep UJL 2005 Jeep TJ
It's definitely do-able. They'll just have to fab the entire top of the kick panel enclosures. I'd recommend you ask them to fabricate a sealed enclosure within the soundbar speaker pockets, otherwise you'll lose most of the sound in a highly-inefficient soundbar enclosure.

I've been advising folks to not put too much money into the soundbar area, as they typically only act as "fill" speakers for the driver and passenger. Really haven't had any luck myself getting the soundbar to sound good, despite adding a ton of power, high-end speakers, sound deadening material and fiber-fill.

I'm jealous of the 6.5's so definitely enjoy them, I'm sure they'll sound great!
I'll follow up when it's done :)

Ben

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon (White)

I've learned a lot just from reading your posts and just want to say Thank You. i installed the JL Audio C2 in the dash of my brothers 18 JL Rubicon with Alpine system. I'm very surprised that the upgraded Alpine speakers do not have any tweeters. The C2 filled in that missing void nicely. I'm sure going in the DSP route would take the sound up to a much higher level, which I may end up doing to my 18 JL Rubicon. But this was a good cheap experiment.

Sponsored

Bskylerj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler, 2011 Chevy Avalanche, 2012 Hyundai Sonata
I ordered my JL AUDIO VX1000/5. 2 sets of the C2 3.5” speakers and 2 sets of C2 4” speakers and 2 TW3 10” subs. I’m replacing all speakers. And going to build a down fire box that is the shape of the rear floor. That way if anyone looks in they won’t be able to tell and I can still use that area to carry items.

I’m looking forward to getting this done. The factory system is terrible.

JLsport2019

I'm looking at Morel Hybrid Component for the front speakers.

What size will fit in the kick panel?
I know 4" is OEM size, can 5.1/4" fit without too much modification? Or drops right in?

Thanks

JLsport2019

I ordered my JL AUDIO VX1000/5. 2 sets of the C2 3.5” speakers and 2 sets of C2 4” speakers and 2 TW3 10” subs. I’m replacing all speakers. And going to build a down fire box that is the shape of the rear floor. That way if anyone looks in they won’t be able to tell and I can still use that area to carry items.

I’m looking forward to getting this done. The factory system is terrible.
From what I heard, those entry level JL Audio C2 speakers will sound amazing using that VXi (DSP) amplifier. Night & Day difference between using non-DSP amp.

Keep us informed

Scott_S

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
I'm looking at Morel Hybrid Component for the front speakers.

What size will fit in the kick panel?
I know 4" is OEM size, can 5.1/4" fit without too much modification? Or drops right in?

Thanks
I asked that very question on carstereochick's blog post. Look at the comments and her replies:
http://www.carstereochick.com/2019/04/20/jeep-wrangler-jl-stereo-upgrade/#comments

But the quick answer is that 4" will work without modification, but any larger will probably require fabricating a new top for the speaker enclosure, although it's possible that a 5.25" will fit with just dremmeling it out (it would be great if someone was able to actually try this...)

carstereochick

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've learned a lot just from reading your posts and just want to say Thank You. i installed the JL Audio C2 in the dash of my brothers 18 JL Rubicon with Alpine system. I'm very surprised that the upgraded Alpine speakers do not have any tweeters. The C2 filled in that missing void nicely. I'm sure going in the DSP route would take the sound up to a much higher level, which I may end up doing to my 18 JL Rubicon. But this was a good cheap experiment.
Thanks Ben, I'm so happy it was helpful. And thank you for the feedback about the upgrade you did in your brother's Jeep, that's really good to know that you noticed a nice improvement just with the C2's alone. I had concerns regarding efficiency, but it sounds like they worked well with the stock amp.
Sponsored