Speaker replacement upgrade

jeeplaw

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Dodge Charger Daytona, 2019 JLUR
I've been tempted to figure something out with a 6.5" universal pod under the dash, but this looks like it works as well. Wonder what the release time line is?
Sponsored

carstereochick

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler MOAB and 2014 Wrangler 2-door Freedom Edition
These are for the knee speaker location, correct?
Yes - this is for front dash so you can put a proper 6.5" component in the front. We made these for ours and a couple other JL Wrangler clients (and were investigating costs to mass produce - glad we didn't get that far into development).

carstereochick

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been tempted to figure something out with a 6.5" universal pod under the dash, but this looks like it works as well. Wonder what the release time line is?
They'll announce at SEMA, my rep at Metra was not given those details. He said they could have some ready to go that they haven't told them about or they may just be taking pre-orders when it's announced (can't even order them yet), but he won't have any details until then.

carstereochick

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sweet! Doesn't help my decision making process lol but glad to add in a better range of options. What are your preferences at 6.5?
I still love my Morel Hybrid 602's. I have a set in my 2014 JK 2-door that are 10 years old, I've had them in 3 different cars. Yeah they're pricey, but they are sweet and they last.

I like that you have more options with these adapters so if you wanted a more budget friendly Morel, the Maximo Ultra 602's are a phenomenal value and I've done plenty of full systems in the JK body style with those, the PDXV9 amp, JL stealthbox (or boxes) or custom sub enclosure and have had very happy customers. So for more budget friendly, consider the Maximo Ultra series.

If you can splurge, go for the Hybrid 602 with these new adapters. I have a really stressful job running this shop (I still love it though!) and there are many nights when I am so relieved to lock the door, turn off the lights, get in my Jeep and crank up my stereo and I still think, "Damn. This stereo sounds so flipping good" and it's like the ride home is too short! It's those speakers, they are so smooth, but detailed, warm, articulate and balanced.

Fa1321tx

First Name
Floyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Sweet! Doesn't help my decision making process lol but glad to add in a better range of options. What are your preferences at 6.5?
I agree sweet I have been busy and had not sent my pods to get fabricated yet so I will probably wait for these. I already purchased Morel Maximos 6.5 components for my Jeep. I had a set of these in my 2015 F150 using a RF 3.6.3 processor and a RF amp and they sounded amazing for $150. This time I am planning on using the DSR1 so I can hide it in the dash with maybe a 5 channel amp under the passenger seat. I love the Jeep but being so easy to break in I was thinking of using something inexpensive like a Soundstream Picasso so its cheap to replace if stolen. I really want the JL Audio subwoofer but I run the soft top 95% of the time so I am concerned it will get stolen.

Sponsored

CarterRuss

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 07 RS4
I love the Jeep but being so easy to break in I was thinking of using something inexpensive like a Soundstream Picasso so its cheap to replace if stolen. I really want the JL Audio subwoofer but I run the soft top 95% of the time so I am concerned it will get stolen.
Yeah, I will have the hardtop plus tint will hopefully keep people out of the back. And keeping the stock radio plus the amp under the seat hopefully *should* that ever happen they wouldn't even realize the stereo was upgraded. I normally keep my cars clean and free of anything so even peering eyes wouldn't bother (ideally).

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Hey everyone - so I don't know if I should be making a new thread for this or better off posting this here, but SUPER EXCITING game changer. Metra is coming out with 6.5" speaker pods. No details on pricing/shipping. Details will be announced at SEMA.

https://carstereochick.com/2019/10/17/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-jlu-speaker-upgrade-pods-coming-soon/

Metra JP-1014 2018 up Wrangler JL JLU speaker pods.jpg
That is AWESOME! Now comes the question on how to tie in the PAC Adapter with a 5 channel amp with DSP to them. Do I run Components or just put Coaxials in them. I'm finding that my system sounds too bright and too bassy. I need better MID and dynamic range.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
That is AWESOME! Now comes the question on how to tie in the PAC Adapter with a 5 channel amp with DSP to them. Do I run Components or just put Coaxials in them. I'm finding that my system sounds too bright and too bassy. I need better MID and dynamic range.
My vote would be components/separates. These are down-firing boxes, and the ability to direct the high end is a bit limited, unless you can adjust the tweeter angle on your coax's.

Use an 8-channel, EQ'd amp with integrated cross-overs to send a full channel to each tweet and mid, and you'll never look back.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
My vote would be components/separates. These are down-firing boxes, and the ability to direct the high end is a bit limited, unless you can adjust the tweeter angle on your coax's.

Use an 8-channel, EQ'd amp with integrated cross-overs to send a full channel to each tweet and mid, and you'll never look back.
I already have amp. Kicker IQ1000.5. But I may disconnect sound bar and run wires direct to 6.5 and tweeters on top of dash.

carstereochick

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree sweet I have been busy and had not sent my pods to get fabricated yet so I will probably wait for these. I already purchased Morel Maximos 6.5 components for my Jeep. I had a set of these in my 2015 F150 using a RF 3.6.3 processor and a RF amp and they sounded amazing for $150. This time I am planning on using the DSR1 so I can hide it in the dash with maybe a 5 channel amp under the passenger seat. I love the Jeep but being so easy to break in I was thinking of using something inexpensive like a Soundstream Picasso so its cheap to replace if stolen. I really want the JL Audio subwoofer but I run the soft top 95% of the time so I am concerned it will get stolen.
Yes - those Maximo series are awesome. Hard to beat for the price. I'm not sure I'd worry about the Stealth box being stolen the way it gets bolted in from behind the speaker to the fender wall. It's not the easiest thing to install/remove. The thief would have to have tools and time and know what they're looking for. Unless you know what it is, it looks stock. Most thieves are dumb and probably wouldn't even realize how to get it out (although I can see one damaging the face/surround trying to figure out how to get it out).

Sponsored

carstereochick

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Components for sure - we put 6.5" in dash knee location (we modded ours) and tweeters in factory location using a Focal surface mount tweeter pods. The way Jeep used to do the tweeters in the 2014 and earlier JK's was perfect angled towards you upright - but you could put in the factory spot under grille angled toward you using a backstrap.

The other stuff you asked about has been covered a lot in this thread, but there is a ton of info on my blog about it too. Personally in ours we have gone back and forth between the JL Audio VX 1000/5i amp and the PDXV9 amp with Twk-88. We have settled with the AP4-CH41R2, APA-TOS1, Twk-88 and PDXV9 (wanted one amp with most output and think the Alpine is a bit smoother on top end).

carstereochick

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

jeeplaw

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Dodge Charger Daytona, 2019 JLUR
Wow, where is the order form for that?
I know so excited, got my Metra JP-1014 pods today! Check them out. Exactly how we were designing ours. So glad they got these out so quickly.

Metra JP-1014 pic 1.JPG

Metra JP-1014 pic 2.JPG

Metra JP-1014 pic 3.JPG

Metra JP-1014 pic 4.JPG

Metra JP-1014 pic 5.jpg

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
These Metra pods will be awesome. I've been hoping for something like this.
Sponsored