Sponsored

Speaker issue?

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
I assume I should be added to the list.

Front left speaker on the driver side where the windshield meets the dash seems to be popping/cracking/etc.

Only thing I can think of is that maybe it’s this issue (or a blown speaker which would be crazy, I’m a pretty boring guy who listened to audio books and “Baby Shark” on max volume of 10 for my kids).

I’ll mess with the clips mentioned and see if that helps.

@JeepCares I do *not* plan to take this to the dealer based on other feedback in the thread so far. Please keep us posted whenever you get this escalated internally for an official TSB or recall. Until then, it’s not worth a trip in and days upon days without the Jeep and a low likelihood of success.
Agreed!!! Same with the steering issue. They want me to take it in with the hopes the dealer will solve. Weeks without a Jeep and all for "no condition found" when we all know that's Bovine Scathology.
Sponsored

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I played with the mentioned gateway/connectors/ports/etc. on my drive in to work this AM, and it made no difference at all.

It *really* seems like this is coming from my front left speaker where the windshield/dash meet. Blown speaker? It sounds like a crackle or some sort of electric pop at certain frequencies, most noticeable with spoken word when there is not music to cover it up.

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
My front left speaker is horrid. Phone calls and using Google Maps tethered are atrocious.
It's probably not your speaker buy the gateway plug rattling. When it sounds bad you can reach up under the panel (near the brake pedal) and feel for two wires. Follow them to the plug and put a little pressure on it. The rattle should go away.

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
I played with the mentioned gateway/connectors/ports/etc. on my drive in to work this AM, and it made no difference at all.

It *really* seems like this is coming from my front left speaker where the windshield/dash meet. Blown speaker? It sounds like a crackle or some sort of electric pop at certain frequencies, most noticeable with spoken word when there is not music to cover it up.
There seems to be three things to look at.

1) gateway plug (that's my issue). Just put some pressure on it when you hear the sound. This is for the Charlie Brown wah wah sound.

2) The door restraint panel. Just pull it off and see if things change.

3) Soundbar speaker. There is a very cheap piece of material in there that doesn't seem to deaden vibration like it should. Add something thicker seems to help.

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
There seems to be three things to look at.

1) gateway plug (that's my issue). Just put some pressure on it when you hear the sound. This is for the Charlie Brown wah wah sound.

2) The door restraint panel. Just pull it off and see if things change.

3) Soundbar speaker. There is a very cheap piece of material in there that doesn't seem to deaden vibration like it should. Add something thicker seems to help.
Is there a simple fix for the gateway module to keep pressure applied? I'm going to go outside and check where it's located now and see what kind of room is there but I was just wondering if anyone has found a simple solution yet

Sponsored

S207307

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) Unlimited Sport S
Is there a simple fix for the gateway module to keep pressure applied? I'm going to go outside and check where it's located now and see what kind of room is there but I was just wondering if anyone has found a simple solution yet
Apparently epoxy (or some other strong adhesive) was applied to the gateway module by a dealer servicing the issue.
(I'm guessing it was put in between the module and the metal and other solid structure to keep the plastic/tube of the module from moving, rattling, or vibrating, which likely creates the reverb and other undesired acoustics.)
The report was that this "solution" seemed to help at least in the short term, although mileage may vary.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
My front left speaker is horrid. Phone calls and using Google Maps tethered are atrocious.
@seguerski and I are thinking we may try to swap out my front left speaker together. Will report findings back here if we are able to make any progress. My issue sounds like static or something in the front left windshield/dash speaker.

crushinit

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and WK2
I have a similar issue but not quite the same... Bluetooth calls all have static from the front left speaker and is very annoying. BUT...Howard Stern and any other music or spoken word does not cause the same static/buzzing. Makes me think my issue is the unconnect phone system/software itself and not the speaker or panels or loose connection etc.

OP
OP
YFD_322

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
This morning Charlie browns teacher was going wild so i reached under and pushed the box where I am pointing to in pic and it stopped. The wires for that harness were laying on the frame, I just pushed the wires over the frame and tucked in and so far the teacher is quiet. Hope it holds...

1ECF7C98-D52A-4960-A68B-D61AC42B6E94.jpeg

94C58F27-9304-4C69-8115-91C28D7EA94E.jpeg

6A657752-BA27-48FD-9355-2C15AAA6B550.jpeg

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
This morning Charlie browns teacher was going wild so i reached under and pushed the box where I am pointing to in pic and it stopped. The wires for that harness were laying on the frame, I just pushed the wires over the frame and tucked in and so far the teacher is quiet. Hope it holds...

Under the drivers side right?

Sponsored

OP
OP
YFD_322

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
Yes

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car

That's the gateway module. The source of all evil

OP
OP
YFD_322

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
That little freaking thing. How could anyone testing this truck not notice this.

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
That little freaking thing. How could anyone testing this truck not notice this.
It seems to take 2-3 months for the issue to pop up so something had to have worn out or broke off... Just needed to figure out what.
Sponsored