Something is wrong with me !!!!

HelmsJeep

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2DR/Softop/Manual
Can you buy a 392 in 2dr with a manual trans? I sometimes kinda miss my old 304.
Sponsored

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
That's a funny post, and I know you're just joking around. I've got a Ram 3500, I know what the torque will do. But I've got another idea you might consider ... Take that F450 out in the desert with me and my TRX. When we hit that cattle guard at 90+ mph, and the TRX sticks the landing like an Olympic gymnast, perfect, you might realize they are built for different purposes. Then you try it in your F450 at the same speed.

Have a good one.:LOL:
LOL for sure my almost 10,000 wet weight would hit sand like a cannonball, PLOOP PLOOP FIZ FIZ. For sure its HD, I carry often 6000 lbs in the bed of that truck and its OEM, NO MODS and it does not sage. It is my Ranch truck. Go Heavy or Go Home LOL

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Can you buy a 392 in 2dr with a manual trans? I sometimes kinda miss my old 304.
We're barely able to buy a 2 door Jeep, period. No V8 for that one.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
If they did, I would have happily ordered one… I have giving thought about paying to have it done, but it’s like $30k to get it done by Dakota Customs.

Dbasiliere

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4Xe
Sell it.

If you're not happy, it'll eat you alive until you end-up doing it or regret it for the rest of your life.

I personally never understood the hype with the 392. Couldn't care less about the added power and sound. My Jeep makes a nice rumble and is geared to turn my 35s as easily as it turned the oem tires and that's what's important to me .Heck even if I liked the 392, the gas prices alone are a major turn-off and it's just going up and up from here.

If you're the type that can live and enjoy the moment, Do it !!! Maybe being older and wiser has me see life otherwise. I like to predict, prepare and be content with what I have. But mostly, mostly.... I know how fast a decade goes-by and our ICE vehicles will be worth next to nothing, especially those that cost more in gas;)
Something wrong with me? I want to sell my 22 rubicon with 3000 miles, loaded up, to get the 392, Once I start thinking about it it's only a matter of time.. Talk me out of spending more cash PLEASE ......

IMG_1899.JPG
I would hesitate on the 392. I do like the V8 rumble, however the 4Xe puts out 375 hp when in 4Hi/auto and you spank it. To improve the sound (still not like the V8) you can get after market dual exhaust for about $600. Just the opinion of a practical old guy who also loves power and rumble.

Sponsored

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have a LONG history of buying the MAX HP I can get and I only wish the 2 door was offered in a 392, I would be the first to order. 3 dr + 4:88 gears + 6 sp trans = Red Light Bandit and street fighter.

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I traded my 6 month old 4xe for a new custom ordered Rubi XR with the 3.6 I love that thing. Having said that, people keep busting my balls as to why I didn't just go for the 392. Maybe since I crossed the threshold of 50's in age, I felt I had my fun with V8's and the 3.6 is plenty of power [for now] Once Stellantis decides to offer a Rubicon with their twin turbo inline 6, I will then order one sight unseen since I believe that is the perfect engine for a Jeep. On the other hand is it worth ordering a 392 and flipping it? seems to be all the rage with Corvette and mustang people.

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I traded my 6 month old 4xe for a new custom ordered Rubi XR with the 3.6 I love that thing. Having said that, people keep busting my balls as to why I didn't just go for the 392. Maybe since I crossed the threshold of 50's in age, I felt I had my fun with V8's and the 3.6 is plenty of power [for now] Once Stellantis decides to offer a Rubicon with their twin turbo inline 6, I will then order one sight unseen since I believe that is the perfect engine for a Jeep. On the other hand is it worth ordering a 392 and flipping it? seems to be all the rage with Corvette and mustang people.
NOT this Corvette guy...since 1964. Its a moderate engine at 470/470 HP/Torque, sure its V8, but if you want to give me a V8, lets talk real numbers and a set of D 60s to go with it.

IMO its the: Jeep 392 EGO, no more, no less. Back in last few years of the TJ, the 426 Hemi was the MY Richard is longer and bigger than yours. At that time I was leading runs in Moab and we only ran the 7+ trails and I always had some guy in his $25,000 buck Hemi. NEVER once did one them ever make it to the end of the trail. They were so nose-heavy they could they could barely get past the trailhead. IF they did they overheated like crazy. They also had AUTO trans which also overheated and got banged up and leaked.

I remember I had a guy show up and he was from Aus, and brought his TJ and had a 426 Hemi shoehorned in it. He had a lot of money to spend I guess. He picked it up and drove from some shop in Tx to Moab. First day out, first trail did not make it halfway, overheated engine and trans. He had to turn around and the trans gave up and the radiator bleow a hose before he got back to the trailhead.

He called me later and said he was not going to be able to make the week-long Moab and he had to have his TJ shipped back to the shop where it was built in Tx.

There are only so many EGOs that are going to buy into the 392. Sure a few guys are going build it out and wheel it. If you are a rock guy, the 392 Vs TJ OEM 6 cyl will both cross the finish line at the same time, no advantage to big engines.

Till the new straight 6 comes out, the BEST engine for rocks sits in a TJ!

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
I owned four different TJs during their run, and also led trails in Moab at that time (Behind the Rocks, Pritchet). My God was the 4.0 gutless on the highway with 37s though, even with 4.88 gears. I really liked TJs when that was all we had. But I sure don't miss them now, especially on the highway with Curries and Detroits at both ends. Step on the gas and it goes one way, let off the gas and it goes the other. Yup, those were the days. :)

Shark01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392, 2005 Ford GT, 1999 Lamborghini Diablo
I would hesitate on the 392. I do like the V8 rumble, however the 4Xe puts out 375 hp when in 4Hi/auto and you spank it. To improve the sound (still not like the V8) you can get after market dual exhaust for about $600. Just the opinion of a practical old guy who also loves power and rumble.
So serious question since a few others have made this comparison between a 392 and a 4Xe. Isn’t the “spanking” period for a 4Xe limited to about 5 minutes at a time between 4 hours of charging? Whereas a 392 can “spank” all day long with just 5 minute fuel stops?

If so, no comparison at all…….

Sponsored

Dbasiliere

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4Xe
Hmmm, well I guess if you want to spank all day long you should go for the 392 and spank away... I am am older guy so I don't spank all day anymore, so I don't mind "recharging" between spanks. (ha ha). If you really want the all day nut, you should go for the 392. Maybe get the Rubi. My Sahara 4xe will govern the power/torque in 2WD because it would trash the rear gears. Full power is only available in 4WD auto.
Much the same as the 392. The 392 would trash the rear diff the first time you spanked it. 🤔. So go for the 392 and spank away! Happy spanking, and Happy Thanksgiving.

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Well, I am an older guy, and the 392 reminds me of my old muscle cars, only much more refined. It's a smile maker, and that's all I'll say, other than I have had more ladies tell me my 392 is "gorgeous" and "beautiful" than any other vehicle I have owned. And... I don't care about the two MPG I may have lost over the feeble V6.

As an aside, given the sad state of the dollar, I felt the 392 would be a solid investment.
Sponsored