First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Here's how i do it.

IMG_1866.JPG
I see the Velcro strap is mostly on the plastic cover under the roll bar. Are you worried at all that over time it will wear a mark in that plastic and or the paint at the edge of the roll bar if it touches that?

In my JK I used to do the same thing but around the soft top frame parts, not the roll bar. Would this be ineffective for the issue people are having with the top sitting too high in this position?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I see the Velcro strap is mostly on the plastic cover under the roll bar. Are you worried at all that over time it will wear a mark in that plastic and or the paint at the edge of the roll bar if it touches that?

In my JK I used to do the same thing but around the soft top frame parts, not the roll bar. Would this be ineffective for the issue people are having with the top sitting too high in this position?
Well I'm not an engineer but I felt like to eliminate the bouncing I had to strap it to the roll bar. If others find a better way please post it.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Ok so I finally got to put my soft top all the way down yesterday , finally warm outside ...I was driving about 70mph and it just seems to me like if it caught the wind just right it would lift ...I have the locks on but there is still plenty of play for it to lift up some ...Anyone have this issue?
I've never had any issues with the wind catching the soft top on my JK whether I've got the Sunrider flipped back or the top put all the way down. The closest I've come is when I had removed the door surrounds and forgot to reinstall them before getting on the highway. :( Even strong head/cross winds it's never really been that much of an issue and I've never used the velcro straps to secure the metal frame of the soft top.

Sponsored

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
This top does seem to compress less than the JK top. And in the wind, it rises up a little and obstructs the view of the 3rd brake light. Some velcro straps help a lot. JLTtopsUSA said it will still be several weeks before they have their boot out. (They say they are currently swamped with their shade (mesh) top orders. (BTW I like their shade top a lot better than the spider web version.)

thehangingchad

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Be sure to read the manual. Specifically, steps 4 and 5. You will hear it lock into place.

Soft_top_manual.JPG

OP
OP
LittleG

LittleG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara
Be sure to read the manual. Specifically, steps 4 and 5. You will hear it lock into place.

Soft_top_manual.JPG
Never once heard it click before hmmmmm..
Does the back door have to be open to ensure it’s pushed down all the way to hear the click? Either way I’m using my Velcro straps now that I’ve found them if I’m going on on long trip ..

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

Soft_top_manual.JPG
So I have to admit I have mashed down on the soft top pretty good but never heard an audible click. I will try that on my way home and report back. Thanks!

aCeMedic13

First Name
Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
So I have to admit I have mashed down on the soft top pretty good but never heard an audible click. I will try that on my way home and report back. Thanks!
That click is iffy. When I first got it it seemed to not always "click" and required me to unlock it, move the soft top slightly up again, and lock and move it down again. Now it only seems to lock a portion of the top. The sunrider portion can still move but the lock prevents the back portion from moving up if that makes sense. I just mash it down and it gets caught in the piece holding the wires for the dual top which seems to secure it.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
That click is iffy. When I first got it it seemed to not always "click" and required me to unlock it, move the soft top slightly up again, and lock and move it down again. Now it only seems to lock a portion of the top. The sunrider portion can still move but the lock prevents the back portion from moving up if that makes sense. I just mash it down and it gets caught in the piece holding the wires for the dual top which seems to secure it.
I spent about 10 minutes trying to mash down on the top and nothing clicked. I can't even see what part is supposed to click in. I feel like y'all are punking me. I still haven't figured out what the lock actually locks.

Also, I tried doing what they do in the video and releasing the arms but that makes it worse. I'm guessing that is just for permanently removing the top.

I also realize that the way I have the velcro done it only holds part of the top down but it is too short to wrap around the whole thing. I may have to get longer velcro straps. Any ideas on where to get them?

JTopsUSA

First Name
Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jtopsusa.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKU 2014, Jeep JK 2015, Jeep JLU on order!
Occupation
Jeep® Wranger Soft Goods Manufacturer
I spent about 10 minutes trying to mash down on the top and nothing clicked. I can't even see what part is supposed to click in. I feel like y'all are punking me. I still haven't figured out what the lock actually locks.

Also, I tried doing what they do in the video and releasing the arms but that makes it worse. I'm guessing that is just for permanently removing the top.

I also realize that the way I have the velcro done it only holds part of the top down but it is too short to wrap around the whole thing. I may have to get longer velcro straps. Any ideas on where to get them?
Walmart, HD, Lowe's, craft stores or Amazon all carry velcro like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Ho...F8&qid=1525818669&sr=8-3&keywords=velcro+roll

Newbiejeeperjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unlimited JL
I’ve had my jlu since feb. with the top off more than on. I agree/disagree with what everyone is saying. Velcro is the way to go. I use 2 in either position. In TX, we get a lot of wind and a medium (15-20 mph)cross wind Will make the top go up much higher than anyone wants it to go! Lowe’s or HD will have the longer straps with a loop. Don’t buy straight Velcro. As far as the locked position with the top down, mine will occasionally click but will be locked even without the click sound.
if you don’t have your new JL yet, you’ll be happy to know I haven’t seen a difference in mpg with the top down which is amazing. I’ve taken two 650+ mile road trips and haven’t seen a difference.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
So if i am not used to a soft top and have had a hard top for almost 6 yrs am i going to not like the road noise and the sound of my MT tires that they make. cause its not that bad in a hard top but i know they are howling at the moon lol so it will be pretty loud in the JL ?

Newbiejeeperjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unlimited JL
So if i am not used to a soft top and have had a hard top for almost 6 yrs am i going to not like the road noise and the sound of my MT tires that they make. cause its not that bad in a hard top but i know they are howling at the moon lol so it will be pretty loud in the JL ?
It depends on if you have the premium soft top or the regular soft top. Several YouTube videos show not much difference between the hard top and soft top noise. They were using a meter to measure the sound...
Sponsored