Light Bar makes soft top sound like 'Old Glory' flapping in the wind

Jabakkarabbit

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubi
I posted the following yesterday on your Gladiator sister site. They sent me here. Hope you can help. Here it is:

Installed a 52" light bar on the Rubi. Couldn't be more excited!

Then I take it on the road. At about 42 mph it vibrates the soft top. BLAP BLAP BLAP. The faster I go the louder it gets. The light bar changed up the wind turbulence. I don't want it to damage the top and I am getting tired of the flapping. Any ideas on how to redirect the wind?
20210208_171130-jpg.jpg

20210208_171146-jpg.jpg

20210208_171155-jpg.jpg

20210208_171214-jpg.jpg

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...nd-like-old-glory-flapping-in-the-wind.40283/
Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
You can try to add a spoiler the the light bar to redirect the airflow or put the off road lights on the front bumper.

OP
OP
Jabakkarabbit

Jabakkarabbit

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubi
Some kind of spoiler is the only option. Re-locating on the bumper is out.
Jeep Wrangler JL Light Bar makes soft top sound like 'Old Glory' flapping in the wind 20210209_135125

JeepersCreepers2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
They make some wind deflectors for light bars but I am not sure how good they actually are. I went purchase the KC light bar and my local shop said "Do not do this. You will regret it later due to noise" The fact that they didn't want to just make some money off me was telling. Here I sit with no light bar on top now. If you do find a way to quiet it down, I would be interested in your solution. Good luck

https://zroadz.com/c-1174467-accessories-noise-cancelling-wind-diffusers.html

OP
OP
Jabakkarabbit

Jabakkarabbit

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubi
The deflector is 100 bucks. I'm messaging the guy now on your link. Hopefully will know something when he gets off lunch break.

Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
They make some wind deflectors for light bars but I am not sure how good they actually are. I went purchase the KC light bar and my local shop said "Do not do this. You will regret it later due to noise" The fact that they didn't want to just make some money off me was telling. Here I sit with no light bar on top now. If you do find a way to quiet it down, I would be interested in your solution. Good luck

https://zroadz.com/c-1174467-accessories-noise-cancelling-wind-diffusers.html
I don't have a light bar due, primarily, to noise concerns as well. I also like to drop my windshield and seems like most will prevent that. But with that said, I am tempted by the quadratec stealth light bar. My worry is how much more windshield it may block. I already have difficulty seeing traffic lights when stopped at an intersection.

JeepersCreepers2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I don't have a light bar due, primarily, to noise concerns as well. I also like to drop my windshield and seems like most will prevent that. But with that said, I am tempted by the quadratec stealth light bar. My worry is how much more windshield it may block. I already have difficulty seeing traffic lights when stopped at an intersection.
I saw this one as well and did not purchase for the exact reason you mentioned. Already working with a small windshield and seems this will make it worse.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
It's surprising how little of a change will disrupt the airflow over the Jeep! Wife's JLUR has a Besttop Sunrider and it was great, hardly any flapping at all. Wife wanted a hood protector, happy wife = happy life, so I got one for her. It has a very small lip on it and now the flapping is unbearable! Took the Sunrider off and put on my Jeep and back to quite and flap free!
Gregj

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I already have difficulty seeing traffic lights when stopped at an intersection.
If I'm the first car at a light, I feel like people look at me funny because I always have to turn my head horizontally to see the light.

DirtyCreeker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On order: 2021 JLU Rubicon
You'd think with this being such a prominent issue, someone would have developed an aerodynamic light bar to eliminate the problem. I'm not an engineer, but I can't imagine that it would be that difficult to design a plastic housing for the lights that would fix this.

Sponsored

Miloe

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The KC Pro 6 lightbar makes zero wind noise, but it's spendy. Not sure how it would affect a soft top though.
Individual lights seem quiet with minimal buffeting. Of course you end up with lights pointed all over the place this way.

Anyone use one of the plexi covers over a light bar? Wondering how well they actually work.
Sponsored