Snow with soft top

kayakingt

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
First time Jeep owner here with a soft top. I know I have to keep the snow off the soft top but how often should I brush it off ? Also is there any type of brush you can recommend or will a normal brush work?
Sponsored

AMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG, BMW G650GS
First time Jeep owner here with a soft top. I know I have to keep the snow off the soft top but how often should I brush it off ? Also is there any type of brush you can recommend or will a normal brush work?
You should have gotten the heated soft top option.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Do not touch anything to your soft top windows. Let the snow naturally fall off. Iā€™m convinced you can run a feather across a Wranglers soft top windows and put a scratch on them. In regards to the top. Drive it and it will blow off.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Do not touch anything to your soft top windows. Let the snow naturally fall off. Iā€™m convinced you can run a feather across a Wranglers soft top windows and put a scratch on them. In regards to the top. Drive it and it will blow off.
If dry snow , drive and let it blow off . If ice , drive and let the sun melt it off .

If you have snow or ice on the plastic windows , then don't drive it until the snow or ice melts off . Means you will need a second vehicle with glass windows .

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ugh. Please donā€™t drive and let it blow off. Dangerous and illegal, at least in my state.

kjone013

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 JLUR MOJITO! (3.6, auto, loaded)
Occupation
Army
Ugh. Please donā€™t drive and let it blow off. Dangerous and illegal, at least in my state.
Yes illegal in NY also. It can cause an accident when the snow loosens enough to blew the big chunks off. Those people that leave 12" of snow on top of thier car and don't clean off the rear windows just shows how much disregard they have for eveybody else, and how the hell they see if windows covered.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Yes illegal in NY also. It can cause an accident when the snow loosens enough to blew the big chunks off. Those people that leave 12" of snow on top of thier car and don't clean off the rear windows just shows how much disregard they have for eveybody else, and how the hell they see if windows covered.
They shouldn't drive if plastic windows are covered ; let it melt clear . That's why you need a second vehicle with glass windows , or top down .

Army soldiers don't ask for a broom to sweep their roof ; they don't worry about plastic windows ; they just carry on with it , top down .

jeep snow a.jpg

Last edited:

Joeymon1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Do feel that sometimes this forum is no help at all?
You might better walk out your door and ask the first person you see. :)

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I stand by my reply.

Start Jeep and crank heat. Use the SnoBrum I linked (or similar soft, extendable snow tool) and push the snow off the roof and windshield. Brush off mirrors and camera. By the time you get back in the side and back windows are melting, but if not no big deal - mirrors and backup camera have you covered until they melt (which happens VERY fast once the heater gets warm).

In other words, no different from a hard top other than not brushing the vinyl windows unless you just donā€™t care if they sratch.

Sponsored

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
SnoBrum ā€“ The Original Snow Remover Brush / Tool for Vehicles ā€“ Push-Broom Design, 47ā€ Extendable Telescoping Handle - Remove Heavy, Wet Snow from Your Car / SUV / Truck Without Scratching the Paint https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007LDXLA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8BC7BbZ372RFY
This is a good solution, though any brush for the top will do. The top won't take much damage if you're just brushing. For the soft top windows, do not brush under any circumstances. You could just wait for it to melt. Or you could go inside your Jeep and gently tap on the inside; that'll shake the snow loose...

There are helpful folks here! There's also some curmudgeons. You know who you are. ;)

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
If dry snow , drive and let it blow off . If ice , drive and let the sun melt it off .

If you have snow or ice on the plastic windows , then don't drive it until the snow or ice melts off . Means you will need a second vehicle with glass windows .
Why would we need a second vehicle? Makes absolutely no sense. Just warm up the Jeep and it will melt.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Why would we need a second vehicle? Makes absolutely no sense. Just warm up the Jeep and it will melt.
Because even soft tops need a hand when the right side wheels are spinning .

jeep push a.jpg

OP
OP
kayakingt

kayakingt

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Thanks for the advice everyone! I started the car, brushed off the top and cranked the heat. I did know not to touch the windows or brush them in the snow. I had read about that somewhere else. We ended up with over 1ft of snow with ice. The JL handled great in the snow.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
FWIW, sometimes I blow the snow off (the roof of) my vehicles with a leaf blower. Of course this isn't much of a plan if you need to clear off snow from a parked rig away from home, of if living in smaller spaces, storing a leaf blower, at home or in the rig, electric or gasoline (the leaf blower that is.)
Sponsored