Sponsored

Snow Load on Soft Top

Mojito!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited JL
Vehicle Showcase
Just wondering what the snow load of a soft top is? (Standard or premium)
Sponsored

Johns19Rubicon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Just wondering what the snow load of a soft top is? (Standard or premium)
tough to say. I would use common sense. If you are forecast to get 6" or more of snow, I'd be out there brushing it off. Don't want to unnecessarily stretch the fabric. And when it turns to ice it adds more weight and stress to the frame.

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
I never had a problem with snow on my JKU. Just get out there and clear it before the warmer temps start to melt it into a slush pile.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
I wrote this excerpt in another thread on Mopar Roof Rails, which involved installation on a JLU hardtop:

While writing this the wheels kept turning. I wondered what the load on the roof would be with 1 foot of snow, certainly a load that doesn't create roof collapse, as if it did, the screaming would have started with the 2018's. From another thread on this website, the roof is approximately 5 feet wide and 8 feet long, rounding for simplicity. That's 40 square feet. Snow a foot deep would mean 40 cubic feet. Googling the weight of a cubic foot of snow gets all sorts of expert calculations, but a reasonable compromise number may be 20 pounds. Roof load from a foot of snow is thus 40 x 20 = 800 pounds, plus or minus.
I do not know the dimensions of a 2-door JL top, and I am not an expert on snow, so YMMV.

Hope this helps.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
In any case, clean it off before driving. Having a big sheet of snow/ ice backflip off either top, hit other vehicles a real danger..