Snatch Blocks - which to buy?

Loki Kai

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
@Loki Kai - are their mega snatch blocks currently made in the US?
They are not but it is not for lack of trying. They design in house but each time they have approached a U.S. manufacturer they have been told that it would be "outsourced" to you know where. They are in the process of developing a U.S. made product line (mostly shackles and soft line products to start) but do not have a release date yet. I personally went with them initially because they donate 10% to St. Jude Hospital to which I am a long term supporter and have personally visited the hospital a few times. It is AMAZING what they do for children and families there! After reaching out to Gear America (based on your thread) and speaking with them I am confident in their product and how it will perform.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
They are not but it is not for lack of trying. They design in house but each time they have approached a U.S. manufacturer they have been told that it would be "outsourced" to you know where. They are in the process of developing a U.S. made product line (mostly shackles and soft line products to start) but do not have a release date yet. I personally went with them initially because they donate 10% to St. Jude Hospital to which I am a long term supporter and have personally visited the hospital a few times. It is AMAZING what they do for children and families there! After reaching out to Gear America (based on your thread) and speaking with them I am confident in their product and how it will perform.
Thanks. I reached out to them as well and am awaiting a response. I work for a children's hospital as well so the St. Jude's part hits close to home. I picked up a set of mega shackles (may send them back to Amazon and grab the uber models, but have not decided) and have to say they seem to be well constructed and are stamped with 8T on the shackle edge which I assume to be 16,000 pounds working load.

The snatch block seems to be built pretty well too. Other than Warn, I have not seen any other snatch blocks that are forged steel that appears as well constructed as the Gear America model.

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
What brand/model do you recommend?
I’m not here to recommend any one single brand. But my experience has taught me that not all are created equal, and made in USA still means something, especially in the recovery/overhead rigging/tow truck/longshore/logging/fishing world. There are some brands making stuff “offshore” that is upping the game as well. Pros buy brands they trust.

Factor 55 - USA
ARB - Asia
Master Pull - USA
Bubba Rope - USA
Safe Xtract - USA
Skookum - USA
Crosby - USA
Columbus McKinnon aka CM- USA
Chicago - USA
Van Beest - Netherlands

I wrote extensively about it all HERE

Buy quality gear the first time and you will never regret it.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I’m not here to recommend any one single brand. But my experience has taught me that not all are created equal, and made in USA still means something, especially in the recovery/overhead rigging/tow truck/longshore/logging/fishing world. There are some brands making stuff “offshore” that is upping the game as well. Pros buy brands they trust.

Factor 55 - USA
ARB - Asia
Master Pull - USA
Bubba Rope - USA
Safe Xtract - USA
Skookum - USA
Crosby - USA
Columbus McKinnon aka CM- USA
Chicago - USA
Van Beest - Netherlands

I wrote extensively about it all HERE

Buy quality gear the first time and you will never regret it.
The Warns I have (92188) are marked Country of Origin: United States. They also came with paperwork about the rating, lot number, and manufacture date.

Sponsored

Loki Kai

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Thanks. I reached out to them as well and am awaiting a response. I work for a children's hospital as well so the St. Jude's part hits close to home. I picked up a set of mega shackles (may send them back to Amazon and grab the uber models, but have not decided) and have to say they seem to be well constructed and are stamped with 8T on the shackle edge which I assume to be 16,000 pounds working load.

The snatch block seems to be built pretty well too. Other than Warn, I have not seen any other snatch blocks that are forged steel that appears as well constructed as the Gear America model.
I called them direct and got an immediate answer by a tech/rep (not an option menu or voicemail) who was very personable and informative. I also have the Mega shackles and think they will handle anything I will throw at them. I do like the security lock feature with the Uber Series though.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Cool story, but you're comparing apples to oranges. Recovery gear is different, and should be properly RATED and MARKED, and above all it should be independently tested to failure.

Does Gear America (dot net) do this? And do they provide full transparency on materials used and destructive testing results like Factor 55 and other reputable purveyors of USA made recovery gear?

I can't seem to find that anywhere, so until I have hard facts I can't recommend their gear. It does look better than Smittybilt at least.
I'm only responding to your derogatory comment; "chinesium". And the inference that Chinese manufacturing is poor quality and US is not simply because of the location of manufacture. It's the same false belief held about many countries in the past that simply is not true and only serves to make people feel better while that take little action and fall further behind. Look no further than; semiconductors, electronics, lenses, steel, rare Earth's, assembly line manufacturing, pharma manufacturing, chemical manufacturing, nuclear, recovery gear, et. al. Same story.

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
I'm only responding to your derogatory comment; "chinesium". And the inference that Chinese manufacturing is poor quality and US is not simply because of the location of manufacture. It's the same false belief held about many countries in the past that simply is not true and only serves to make people feel better while that take little action and fall further behind. Look no further than; semiconductors, electronics, lenses, steel, rare Earth's, assembly line manufacturing, pharma manufacturing, chemical manufacturing, nuclear, recovery gear, et. al. Same story.
I stand by my "derogatory" comment and I'll take it a step further. Fuck China.

Why would I/you/anyone choose to buy a recovery gear product made there when I have the option to buy American made?

No need to answer, it's just my opinion. And I'm not the only one who avoids made in China when possible.

Sponsored

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the Arb 20k lb snatch lock. It is built well and feels solid.

I buy the best built gear I can find. It puts profit in the bank of my local outfitter, which makes me happy and keeps them employed.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Globalization is a fact of life that has minimal escape in this modern age, which means there will be items manufactured in countries we either do not like from a political or quality point of view. There are only two groups to blame for this situation..."we" the consumers who want everything faster and 25% cheaper than the year before and corporations seeking maximum profit.

With that said I try to buy American whenever possible, but I always weigh the cost against the history of the item in use and make an informed decision from there.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
@Loki Kai - are their mega snatch blocks currently made in the US?
I've had Gear America straps and they are poorly made. The stitching was piss poor and ended up fraying. I do not believe they are US made.

I now carry ARB straps and snatch, along with Crosby shackles and it's been holding up great.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I have been actively trying to purchase US-made products for over a decade. They generally cost a bit more but, to me the difference in the price is a “small price” to pay to support American business - especially those in the manufacturing sector. It is sometimes hard to do this but, I do try.

frankly, as the retail environment continues to move to online, I would be supportive of a new law in which any retail product sold online, must display the “made in” language that is currently required on the packaging. That would help folks like me make choices.

I also try to buy as much as I can from store like Quadratec rather than amazon. Why? When was the last time Amazon produced a Jeep product install video? So, if quadratec has to charge a few bucks more, I’m fine with that.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I have been actively trying to purchase US-made products for over a decade. They generally cost a bit more but, to me the difference in the price is a “small price” to pay to support American business - especially those in the manufacturing sector. It is sometimes hard to do this but, I do try.

frankly, as the retail environment continues to move to online, I would be supportive of a new law in which any retail product sold online, must display the “made in” language that is currently required on the packaging. That would help folks like me make choices.

I also try to buy as much as I can from store like Quadratec rather than amazon. Why? When was the last time Amazon produced a Jeep product install video? So, if quadratec has to charge a few bucks more, I’m fine with that.
I buy quality products.

Apple is on my list and we all know most of this is built in China but it is very carefully managed.

Nothing else on my list is made in China or India or other "shit hole" countries.

If you are paying someone with no education the equivalent of $100 a year to manufacture stuff it is very likely you are focused on profits over quality. That means your products will reflect this.
Sponsored