Sponsored

Small upgrades on the new JL's

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
So as much as a 35" or 37" tires would be an awesome early upgrade it is probably a bit early to be biting off that much of an upgrade this early after purchase. So what are the small upgrades to make the most of your JL day to day? I had a couple that I have either done or working towards, they include-

1. Hardtop hoist for the garage
2. Wall mount for the doors
3. Mirrors for the door-less Jeep
4. New smaller antenna

I know this is ultra personal, but what are some other small upgrades that you feel are must do within a few months of owning your new JL?
Sponsored

Cyclone88

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2012 JK Sport, 2013 Mini Countryman
Vehicle Showcase
Floor liners, sill guards, paint that pinch seam, grab handles, and flip that rear view mirror. Just a few easy ones to start off!

OP
OP
Jrbrannan

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
Floor liners, sill guards, paint that pinch seam, grab handles, and flip that rear view mirror. Just a few easy ones to start off!
A great start! Thanks

TexasSki

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Once I finally get mine, mats and cargo mat, going to plasti dip the door hinges as well to protect from the rock chips, i also think it looks cool

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
My list included the replacement mirrors and a sun shade. I am all about being topless/doorless as much as possible.

Sponsored

JTopsUSA

First Name
Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jtopsusa.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKU 2014, Jeep JK 2015, Jeep JLU on order!
Occupation
Jeep® Wranger Soft Goods Manufacturer
Rock Rails like ACE, to protect from door dings and ease of entry (for those vertically challenged family members :cwl:.)

Remove ALL dealer badging.

Stickers, stickers, stickers!

Also going to look at wrapping the red dash something OTHER than red!!

phxrubijl

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
Anyone looking at using Xpel for the 4 doors to minimize scratching when going through the weeds. Has anyone used this stuff and is it affective.

OP
OP
Jrbrannan

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My list included the replacement mirrors and a sun shade. I am all about being topless/doorless as much as possible.
Same here.. it is going to thunderstorm tomorrow so I finnalfhad to put the top and doors back on today. First time it has been fully sealed up since I took delivery. :(

OP
OP
Jrbrannan

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Rock Rails like ACE, to protect from door dings and ease of entry (for those vertically challenged family members :cwl:.)

Remove ALL dealer badging.

Stickers, stickers, stickers!

Also going to look at wrapping the red dash something OTHER than red!!
I thought the red was going to bug me but 1 week in and it has grown on me. I think it works well... At least with the ocean blue

Sponsored

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
Flip the rear view mirror?

I did this on the JK I had. Since the mirror has its mount on the very top of the mirror assembly, flipping it stuffs the mirror up into the top of the frame, giving you a few extra inches of visibility. I had completely forgot I did this until I saw this post.

I immediately replaced the Sport S street donuts with 33" KO2's, removed the air dam, put on a smaller flexible antenna, and added Rigid long range cubes to the A-pillar. The only other things Id really like to do are add a set of Rubi sliders, and maybe a winch (with an associated bumper). The factory low/ hi/ fog lights actually work VERY well for halogen, so adding any more lights other than the Side Shooters won't do much other than make my jeep look like a brodozer. (since I wheel in the dense forests of norther MI)

eEttvV9l.jpg

JTopsUSA

First Name
Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jtopsusa.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKU 2014, Jeep JK 2015, Jeep JLU on order!
Occupation
Jeep® Wranger Soft Goods Manufacturer
I thought the red was going to bug me but 1 week in and it has grown on me. I think it works well... At least with the ocean blue
It's probably just me, but I HATE red... that's the absolute WORST thing about buying a Rubicon: all the red I'll have to find a way to cover up/remove. But that's a small price to pay, so I am okay with figuring it all out. And Ocean Mist Blue is the BOMB! :rock:

Flip the rear view mirror?
It's an old JK/U/TJ/YJ thing... from an old post from another jeep place:

"Flip it over (upside down) and push it up as close to the top of the windshield as you can. Makes seeing under it out the front much better. I have no idea why designers put something blocking your line of forward vision like that."

STOMPEEZ

First Name
Renegade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
It's probably just me, but I HATE red... that's the absolute WORST thing about buying a Rubicon: all the red I'll have to find a way to cover up/remove. But that's a small price to pay, so I am okay with figuring it all out. And Ocean Mist Blue is the BOMB! :rock:

"Flip it over (upside down) and push it up as close to the top of the windshield as you can. Makes seeing under it out the front much better. I have no idea why designers put something blocking your line of forward vision like that."

STOMPEEZ

First Name
Renegade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Any suggestions on magnetic mount side view mirrors for the times I take my doors off?

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock

I'm hoping someone comes out with a carbon fiber dash board. I think that'll look cool!

Does flipping the rear view mirror interfere with putting the windshield down with the new roll cage?
Sponsored