First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Well, truth be known, at my age, I prefer this setup these days. Arthritis is a bitch.
holiday-inn-express-hotel.jpg
That's the only way I "camp" these days ... although I do try to stay at a Four Seasons so it at least sounds like I'm outdoors ... LOL
Sponsored

OP
OP

R4D4R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
So if you sleep in the back of your JLU, what do you do with all of your stuff?
How much stuff do you really need?
I can fit myself in my JKU with my gear for a 3-4 day trip without much of an issue. My pack list is about this:
sleeping bag/pad/pillow
backpack for clothes
tote for cook gear
tote for jeep gear (recovery, tools, batteries etc)
50L Coleman cooler
5G bucket with kindling
maybe a shovel
bag or two for snacks/non-perishable foods

Thats just for me. Some gear rides shotgun. When its time for bed, the cooler usually gets put outside. other than that, everything else fits in with me overnight.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I can fit myself in my JKU with my gear for a 3-4 day trip without much of an issue. My pack list is about this:
sleeping bag/pad/pillow
backpack for clothes
tote for cook gear
50L Coleman cooler
5G bucket with kindling
maybe a shovel

Thats just for me. Some gear rides shotgun. When its time for bed, the cooler usually gets put outside. other than that, everything else fits in with me overnight.
What you describe makes perfect sense. It's never just me though, one or both of my sons at any given time and all the stuff that goes along with them. They are young, but always up for an adventure and I do not leave them out. Just trying to get a game plan together.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
sleeping bag/pad/pillow
backpack for clothes
tote for cook gear
50L Coleman cooler
5G bucket with kindling
maybe a shovel

Different people will add different things. I try to travel light but I would add a folding chair and small folding table, maybe a folding potty chair, camera gear, coleman stove and fuel, tools. But if I'm going on a trip like this it will be for 7-8 days.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Different people will add different things. I try to travel light but I would add a folding chair and small folding table, maybe a folding potty chair, camera gear, coleman stove and fuel, tools. But if I'm going on a trip like this it will be for 7-8 days.
It seems like the older they get the less I have to take. At the beginning it was like packing up the whole house. Maybe we will stick to a tent for now and see what happens down the road.

Sponsored

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
I sleep in the back of my Jeep a lot. I use my old Army bag, throw a comforter down then my sleeping bag on top. I have a AAL shelf in the back I put my things on and the passenger front seat. I am 6' I have the passenger seat slid up a bit and fit comfortable in the back. Would like to get a a foam padding for half of it as I intend to put a 73qt fridge in as soon as the weather breaks.

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
What you describe makes perfect sense. It's never just me though, one or both of my sons at any given time and all the stuff that goes along with them. They are young, but always up for an adventure and I do not leave them out. Just trying to get a game plan together.
So, this was me too, one wrinkle into the equation - I was using a cheap Coleman cooler, but the wife went and got fancy and bought me a Yeti 45L Tundra. I'm not leaving that thing outside, even if it's on top of my JL, I feel like it could grow legs fairly quickly depending on where I'm camping.

Any solutions to that? It's too big for the front seats when pushed up with the Deepsleep. I have somewhat the same concerns with surf trips, the first few I've gone on didn't involve a hydrofoil so I could lock my boards up top, throw kites (kiteboarding) in the front seats. Now with the hydrofoil, there's no way to lock it, and it's roughly $2k and fairly small/light.

I feel like a quick pop-up tent is in my future.

Edit: Problem solved on the Yeti, bike lock just tested it out using roof rack as a tie down. Now.........the issue becomes surf gear.

WasMFD

First Name
Coño, Captain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUS, JLUR
I went with the DeepJeepSleep. Thank you to everyone who suggested it. During the JKU and now JLU, prior DeepSleep, I would sleep with head to the rear(feet to the front). For the JKU its was to avoid the hump. However with JLU its to sleep with my feet elevated. Using the DeepSleep it doesnt work because of the size of the mattress. Is there any leveling ideas since the seats do not lay completely flat and level with cargo area? and yes, I have a blown back and could just suck it up and try to sleep the normal way(if the feet were elevated in the rear- ;))

SaintNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep JLU High Tide
I went with the DeepJeepSleep. Thank you to everyone who suggested it. During the JKU and now JLU, prior DeepSleep, I would sleep with head to the rear(feet to the front). For the JKU its was to avoid the hump. However with JLU its to sleep with my feet elevated. Using the DeepSleep it doesnt work because of the size of the mattress. Is there any leveling ideas since the seats do not lay completely flat and level with cargo area? and yes, I have a blown back and could just suck it up and try to sleep the normal way(if the feet were elevated in the rear- ;))
I use the Deep Sleep solo mat. Lay the seat down. Place a foam roller in the trench. Then I use a 3" dog bed to level the back out. Still not level as that would take 6", but still ok for me. I also place my air compressor and bag behind the passenger front seat which provides a small platform for the head of the mattress. It's the easiest, cheapest solution I could come up with. I'm 6'1" and rarely sleep straight as an arrow so it works. it was much tighter with a tailgate table. My dog sleeps on the floor where I have permanently removed the 40% seat.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sleeping in the back IMG_2011

Jeep Wrangler JL Sleeping in the back IMG_2012

Jeep Wrangler JL Sleeping in the back IMG_2013

Jeep Wrangler JL Sleeping in the back IMG_2014

Jeep Wrangler JL Sleeping in the back IMG_1826

Jeep Wrangler JL Sleeping in the back IMG_1823

Last edited:

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
It's the easiest, cheapest solution I could come up with. I'm 6'1" and rarely sleep straight as an arrow so it works.
Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a 2' x 4' piece of 1/2" plywood. Lay it on the folded back seat. The front end of it will stick out past the headrest to support your pillow, the back end of it will span over the gap and uneven part where the seat meets the rear cargo floor.
This will make a flat area for your body from your head all the way to your knees or beyond. It will slope a little bit but not as much as the seat slopes, and of course this assumes the Jeep itself is level which can be tough to achieve in the wilderness. I've slept on mine this way for a one week trip with no problems. I experimented with folding up a towel to put under the bottom end of the plywood to raise it nearly an inch, I couldn't tell if that made much difference. I'm 6'-4" and sometimes I slept straight, sometimes I slept at a slight angle.

Last edited:

acheron800

First Name
FJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser
I use the Deep Sleep solo mat. Lay the seat down. Place a foam roller in the trench. Then I use a 3" dog bed to level the back out. Still not level as that would take 6", but still ok for me. I also place my air compressor and bag behind the passenger front seat which provides a small platform for the head of the mattress. It's the easiest, cheapest solution I could come up with. I'm 6'1" and rarely sleep straight as an arrow so it works. it was much tighter with a tailgate table. My dog sleeps on the floor where I have permanently removed the 40% seat.

Can you link the dog bed you bought?

I just slept on the back with my 6yo son last weekend on 2 solo mats.

Nothing holding up the head as that was fine, but the angle was a bit tough as I kept sliding down.

Your dog bed idea looks great and thinking about buying 2 of them.

Thanks!

SaintNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep JLU High Tide