Sky One-Touch Top Maintenance Care?

Runnergirl719

First Name
Dene
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon sky one touch
NO regrets on my purchase BUT...I had a 2015 JK and when I traded it in for 2019 JL I had them take my rigid light bar off. I had to order new brackets to fit the JL..then had them custom painted. Had several other things done. When I went to pick up it was so loud! At first I thought it was the tires but once I got on the highway. It was unbearable. Guys tried several different things but nothing worked. The wind between the light bar and the soft top created this horrible noise. Ended up cutting brackets down, now I just have 4 pods....and a light bar for sale. lol

Advertisement

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
NO regrets on my purchase BUT...I had a 2015 JK and when I traded it in for 2019 JL I had them take my rigid light bar off. I had to order new brackets to fit the JL..then had them custom painted. Had several other things done. When I went to pick up it was so loud! At first I thought it was the tires but once I got on the highway. It was unbearable. Guys tried several different things but nothing worked. The wind between the light bar and the soft top created this horrible noise. Ended up cutting brackets down, now I just have 4 pods....and a light bar for sale. lol
Strange wind effect. Did your light bar make a similar noise on your JKU?

Steve92004

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2017 JKU, 2004 TJ
Just got my JLU with the Sky power top
Was wondering about maintenance myself
I have racks coming tomorrow for my paddle surf boards hope it all works, the front looks ok for the racks and I found a good spot in the back for the rack if I don't open the top all the way

My JLU.jpg

AdamNash

First Name
Adam
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUS
Hi All, sorry to revive an old thread but I believe you all are the resident experts on the sky touch.

How fast can you drive with it open on the highway?

I keep seeing the 50-60mph numbers for opening and closing but can’t find a solid number on how fast you can get with it already open.

Thanks!

OP
bthomp

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Hi All, sorry to revive an old thread but I believe you all are the resident experts on the sky touch.

How fast can you drive with it open on the highway?

I keep seeing the 50-60mph numbers for opening and closing but can’t find a solid number on how fast you can get with it already open.

Thanks!
I don’t believe there is a limit when the top is already open. I’ve gone 70-75 with it open with no problems. When I’m done with the wind noise I’ll slow down to <60, close the top and then cruise on. All the best -

OP
bthomp

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Just got my JLU with the Sky power top
Was wondering about maintenance myself
I have racks coming tomorrow for my paddle surf boards hope it all works, the front looks ok for the racks and I found a good spot in the back for the rack if I don't open the top all the way

My JLU.jpg
How did it turn out with the racks you bought? Can you send pics?

Bill

OP
bthomp

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
The racks work perfect. They're a little noisy but they're super sturdy

FB_IMG_1595441829854.jpg
Nice! Looks like you can’t open the top when you’re carrying your boards, is that correct?

Jeep75th

First Name
Bobby
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler 75th Anniversary
I had a Liberty with a skyslider, it seems to be very similar to the sky one touch. I had it for 5 years, put it through automatic car washes, hand washes, etc. Never did any special cleaning or maintenance and it looked good as new after all this time.
0653B800-1FB7-4603-BB6A-13DECF359D4A.png

Steve92004

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2017 JKU, 2004 TJ
Nice! Looks like you can’t open the top when you’re carrying your boards, is that correct?
I could if it wasn't in the board bag. The bag flops up and down on the roof making a racket. I put a beach towel in the underside of the bag to weigh it down so it doesn't flap on the wind

Advertisement

Winjet

Advertisement