Sky One-Touch Top Maintenance Care?

Runnergirl719

First Name
Dene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon sky one touch
NO regrets on my purchase BUT...I had a 2015 JK and when I traded it in for 2019 JL I had them take my rigid light bar off. I had to order new brackets to fit the JL..then had them custom painted. Had several other things done. When I went to pick up it was so loud! At first I thought it was the tires but once I got on the highway. It was unbearable. Guys tried several different things but nothing worked. The wind between the light bar and the soft top created this horrible noise. Ended up cutting brackets down, now I just have 4 pods....and a light bar for sale. lol
Sponsored

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
NO regrets on my purchase BUT...I had a 2015 JK and when I traded it in for 2019 JL I had them take my rigid light bar off. I had to order new brackets to fit the JL..then had them custom painted. Had several other things done. When I went to pick up it was so loud! At first I thought it was the tires but once I got on the highway. It was unbearable. Guys tried several different things but nothing worked. The wind between the light bar and the soft top created this horrible noise. Ended up cutting brackets down, now I just have 4 pods....and a light bar for sale. lol
Strange wind effect. Did your light bar make a similar noise on your JKU?

Steve92004

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2017 JKU, 2004 TJ
Just got my JLU with the Sky power top
Was wondering about maintenance myself
I have racks coming tomorrow for my paddle surf boards hope it all works, the front looks ok for the racks and I found a good spot in the back for the rack if I don't open the top all the way

My JLU.jpg

AdamNash

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUS
Hi All, sorry to revive an old thread but I believe you all are the resident experts on the sky touch.

How fast can you drive with it open on the highway?

I keep seeing the 50-60mph numbers for opening and closing but can’t find a solid number on how fast you can get with it already open.

Thanks!

OP
OP
bthomp

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon, 2010 Wrangler X, 2014 Mustang GT
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

Hi All, sorry to revive an old thread but I believe you all are the resident experts on the sky touch.

How fast can you drive with it open on the highway?

I keep seeing the 50-60mph numbers for opening and closing but can’t find a solid number on how fast you can get with it already open.

Thanks!
I don’t believe there is a limit when the top is already open. I’ve gone 70-75 with it open with no problems. When I’m done with the wind noise I’ll slow down to <60, close the top and then cruise on. All the best -

Sponsored

OP
OP
bthomp

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

Just got my JLU with the Sky power top
Was wondering about maintenance myself
I have racks coming tomorrow for my paddle surf boards hope it all works, the front looks ok for the racks and I found a good spot in the back for the rack if I don't open the top all the way

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Top Maintenance Care? My JLU
How did it turn out with the racks you bought? Can you send pics?

Bill

OP
OP
bthomp

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

The racks work perfect. They're a little noisy but they're super sturdy

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Top Maintenance Care? FB_IMG_1595441829854
Nice! Looks like you can’t open the top when you’re carrying your boards, is that correct?

Jeep75th

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler 75th Anniversary
I had a Liberty with a skyslider, it seems to be very similar to the sky one touch. I had it for 5 years, put it through automatic car washes, hand washes, etc. Never did any special cleaning or maintenance and it looked good as new after all this time.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Top Maintenance Care? 0653B800-1FB7-4603-BB6A-13DECF359D4A

Steve92004

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2017 JKU, 2004 TJ
Nice! Looks like you can’t open the top when you’re carrying your boards, is that correct?
I could if it wasn't in the board bag. The bag flops up and down on the roof making a racket. I put a beach towel in the underside of the bag to weigh it down so it doesn't flap on the wind

rogerutley

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
This has been discussed somewhat in many posts ... but seeking insights from actual owners who have the power top for a few months now.

How is the wind noise at speeds above 60 mph / 100 kph? Does the power top flutter / make too much wind noise .. whistling, etc ?
Anybody have any regrets getting the One-touch Skytop? Most notably, I have read things like its difficult to find even the basic after market accessories like grab handles if you have the power top.
How does the power top perform in the cold+snow? Does it preserve the heat? Some forum members have reported that the power top fabric transfers enough moisture (when not in use) to cause condensation buildup on the inside. Have you experienced this?

I am ready to pull the trigger on a new Rubi with the power top and your insights will be valuable in helping me decide.
Do it!. I have no regrets...I have only had mine for approx 5 months...personally ..I love it..as far as wind noise..I can not compare it to a late model Wrangler as the only other Jeep I have owned was 79 CJ7 with soft top..I loved that Jeep with top off..not so much with top on..very noisy...Call me lazy..I am a old man...but the convince of just touching a button,far outweighs any negatives..for my feasible mind anyway..:) Please keep me posted..be safe..Roger
Sponsored