Sponsored

Sky One Touch....Car Wash?

bwally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
So our Jeep family is growing.... my wife has decided to get a 2019 Sahara. in addition to our 2018 Rubi.

She got the Sky One Touch. She wants to know if the power top is safe to go through a car wash does anyone have any thoughts on this
Sponsored

dj3513

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Unlimited / Granite Crystal Metallic / Sky One–Touch Power Top
So our Jeep family is growing.... my wife has decided to get a 2019 Sahara. in addition to our 2018 Rubi.

She got the Sky One Touch. She wants to know if the power top is safe to go through a car wash does anyone have any thoughts on this
They say you can however I would not recommend long term. I've seen a few post where folks have had some leaks / damage . I have the same top. I just bring it to a do it yourself place or a place that does it by hand for you. Can always do it yourself with a sponge , soap and a hose... :)

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
They say you can however I would not recommend long term. I've seen a few post where folks have had some leaks / damage . I have the same top. I just bring it to a do it yourself place or a place that does it by hand for you. Can always do it yourself with a sponge , soap and a hose... :)
Sound advice :like:

I don't ever plan to take my soft top through an automatic wash, might not matter but I'd rather hand-wash it anyway.

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Not in Comifornia you can't. Comila Harris and Dianne Feindstein will have the thought police at your door for contaminating the environment. I'm not kidding, City Environmental services actually came out to my house for a little chat one time for washing my car in an unapproved method. In my driveway instead of the "approved" park it on my lawn method.

To more fully answer the OP, here is what I've learned over the many years of vehicle ownership:
1. Pressure is not your friend when washing your vehicle. It can force water into areas that should not get wet.
2. Automatic car washes will eventually dull your finish through both residue buildup and mechanical abrasion.
3. Washing with Dawn dish soap, IMHO, works best to remove old wax and buildup to give you a clean base to start the detailing process over again.
4. I have found that Neutrogena® shampoo, in various dilutions, works great to clean just about anything without removing essential oils or causing damage. (Including leather)
5. Find one car care product line that you like and stick to it. They are designed to work together.
6. If using a automated car wash, find one that maintains their equipment. If the carwash is dirty, your vehicle will be dirty too.

Last edited:

Sponsored

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
As others posted, you should be fine, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. Seriously. You may get some water penetration, but more importantly, the solvents in the soap designed to clean off dirt and scum may work against the coating that is applied to the canvas for water resistance.

Your choice, but I sure wouldn't. My vehicles get hand washed...always.

cwadle

First Name
cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have the power top, and I don't personally enjoy taking the top through the car wash, due to the pressurized water and air blowing straight down on the flexible beams. This being said, I have gone through three or four different car washes, and I have not experienced any major leaks.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL

Congrats on the new addition :like:

Sponsored

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
Hand wash with Dawn. Stay away from using Windex on aluminum because of etching issues. And me personally, I would stay away from Armour All products as they will cause discoloration to your rubber parts.